[x]

See Where You Rank in Virginia

1. ive just started playing tournies, my style is quite LAG. how do i avoid stupid plays like this? im not posting this as a bad beat, but seems when ever i try and chip up this happens. should i have just pushed all in on the flop? my read was he either had QJ, or 99 and my raise was to find out which? should i still have just pushed the flop? i cannot seem to avoid these types of hands, help me ocket fives, please help me!

PokerStars Game #8638885511: Tournament #43697783, $8.00+$0.80 Hold'em No Limit - Level IV (50/100) - 2007/02/26 - 16:48:02 (ET)
    Table '43697783 25' 9-max Seat #2 is the button
    Seat 1: herb1979 (4990 in chips)
    Seat 2: bonbon4366 (3370 in chips)
    Seat 3: uwe97 (3175 in chips)
    Seat 4: taR01 (3415 in chips)
    Seat 5: inuk2 (5650 in chips)
    Seat 6: freelance95 (1325 in chips)
    Seat 7: carnivex (2265 in chips)
    Seat 8: KKingKK (2755 in chips)
    Seat 9: QdAd JINX (6170 in chips)
    uwe97: posts small blind 50
    taR01: posts big blind 100
    *** HOLE CARDS ***
    Dealt to carnivex [8d As]
    inuk2: calls 100
    freelance95: calls 100
    carnivex: raises 300 to 400
    KKingKK: folds
    QdAd JINX: folds
    herb1979: folds
    bonbon4366: folds
    uwe97: folds
    taR01: calls 300
    inuk2: folds
    freelance95: folds
    *** FLOP *** [6h 2c 8s]
    taR01: bets 200
    carnivex: raises 400 to 600
    taR01: calls 400
    *** TURN *** [6h 2c 8s] [Tc]
    taR01: checks
    carnivex: bets 1265 and is all-in
    taR01: calls 1265
    *** RIVER *** [6h 2c 8s Tc] [Jc]
    *** SHOW DOWN ***
    taR01: shows [Ts Qs] (a pair of Tens)
    carnivex: shows [8d As] (a pair of Eights)
    taR01 collected 4780 from pot
    *** SUMMARY ***
    Total pot 4780 | Rake 0
    Board [6h 2c 8s Tc Jc]
    Seat 1: herb1979 folded before Flop (didn't bet)
    Seat 2: bonbon4366 (button) folded before Flop (didn't bet)
    Seat 3: uwe97 (small blind) folded before Flop
    Seat 4: taR01 (big blind) showed [Ts Qs] and won (4780) with a pair of Tens
    Seat 5: inuk2 folded before Flop
    Seat 6: freelance95 folded before Flop
    Seat 7: carnivex showed [8d As] and lost with a pair of Eights
    Seat 8: KKingKK folded before Flop (didn't bet)
    Seat 9: QdAd JINX folded before Flop (didn't bet)
  2. why are u playing A8 here? Don't focus on the postflop stuff, I would look at your preflop decisions first.
    But if u do decide to play this hand after 2 limpers, in EP, with every person at the table to act after you, then you gotta play it MUCH stronger on the flop then that tiny raise to 600.

There's like 1250 in the pot after his lead of 200, and you only raise him 400 more? He's gonna call u there light every time for that price. No other bet but all in on that flop IMO, but I'd still rethink playing A8o in this spot, cause i think its just spewing chips.
    Raise
  3. Yup. Faaantastic's got it. A8 would be weak here out of position even without the 2 limpers in front of you. Really ask yourself, "why are you playing this hand here?"
  4. "...my style is quite LAG. How do I avoid stupid plays like this?"

A LAG style has a lot of variance. Are you sure that a LAG style is right for you? If you play this way, you are going to run into this situation time and time again. I would strongly suggest you take the advice of the other guys and tighten up your starting hands a bit, take note of your position, and observe your opponents.
    Raise
  5. It's true LAG style isn't for everyone, it takes time to master and at the low limits, it isn't always the best path IMO. Raising A8 off in EP isn't LAG, its donk like. I think a lot of people trying to play LAG, because its the "IT" thing to do end up playing donk style instead. That being said on to the hand. I think you've gotten the point that your preflop play isn't optimal but I don't like your flop play at all. After his lead into you, there is about 1200 in the pot with you having about 1800 behind. You can't hope for a much better flop with A8o other than two pair or boat. You let him hit his 10 on the turn, just shove the flop. That small raise was bad.
    Raise
  6. I think those are terrible reads personally in regards to qj or 99. They are certainly plausible but whose to say its more likely that he has 99 than 77 or a set? Why is it more likely that he has qj and not aj or a 10? I really think being this read oriented in a hand like this is a little ridiculous. It's more practical to consider what his likely range is rather than two specific hands for which you have relatively little information.
    Raise
  7. loose aggressive out of positoin, is not the way to play.

If you pay attention to when the good players decide to come in with a weak hand, it's when they are in later position.

Now at the risk of sounding repetive, your preflop play was loose, and aggressive, but post flop you fell apart.

His lead out bet was way too small, so where a ->3x his bet reraise is a good play for a good normal 1/2->3/4 the pot bet, it was too small in this instance, I probably would've popped it up to 1200, calling another $1000 with just two overs isn't a smart play.
    Raise