[x]

See Where You Rank in Virginia

1. im writing my personal statement for my law school apps and trying explain how my poker career will benefit me as a law student/ lawyer...any parrallels you can think of would be most helpful.

thanks in advance...

Add wmmcl to Rail
  2. I am a lawyer who went through the process many years ago. I think it is a great idea to incorporate your poker experience into your law school apps. It is a big portion of your life and a great intellectual pursuit that translates well into other areas.

I would focus in a couple of areas: 1. explain the amount of time and study you put into poker to improve your game; 2. discuss the math, logic and reasoning you utilize and sharpen on a daily basis in poker; and 3. bring it all together with a personal anecdote where you utilized these skills in practice. Hammer home the +ev concept- poker is not always about winning but putting yourself in the best position to win. As a former trial lawyer I think that is the strongest parallel between poker and law and, for that matter, poker and life.

GL with the apps. PM me if you have any additional questions.

Raise
    Add s.l. halper to Rail
  3. dont forget pattern recognition and analyzing voluminous information to discern logical, rational thought.

Jeffrey Deaver was a lawyer before becoming a mystery/thriller writer; hes written tons of novels, but also wrote a book on how to navigate law school. theres a section in it that deals with writing a personal statement for law school, so definintely check that out too. i think its called the Complete law school Companion or something like that. Best piece of advice was to start your story at the end, then tell the beginner, and end with the middle.

If i were going to write a personal statement using poker, i'd write about one hand i played (obv making shit up as i went along) Itd start with a crucial moment, like the end of a FT or something, with a big decision to make. Then i'd back up and talk about everything poker's taught me, which would be the main part of the personal statement. Then end with sweet sweet victory and the implication that youre the applicant they choose over the rest of the MINDfield. Ez game.

Cliff Notes:
    Step 1: play pokerz
    Step 2: play lawyerz
    Step 3: Quit lawyerz play pokerz
    Step 4: Profit!
    Raise
    Add jaykay24 to Rail
  4. jaykay thats good stuff- ill be honest... unfortunately my entire statement isn't going to revolve around poker, which would make it difficult to "set the scene" with a compelling poker hand or the final moment of winning a big tournament...I do like the varied structure you suggest though, and will see how i can incorporate it into my work...thanks

Raise
    Thread StarterAdd wmmcl to Rail
  5. pm IJay Palansky
    Add oBOBCATu to Rail
  6. good pokah face is useful when your witness is getting murderized on cross.
    Add Mr Galt to Rail
  7. I read souls for a living. Sometimes that is at a poker table. Sometimes it is in a deposition. Sometimes it is in a courtroom.
    Add FourFives to Rail
  8. Both are often full of shxt
    Add Robot to Rail
  9. As a poker player you should know that personal statements are complete bs and a huge waste of time.

Your time is better spent busting out logic games and acing the LSAT.
    Add moneytoburn to Rail
  10. i'm a law student.

i'd suggest keeping the poker emphasis to a minimum.

people just won't understand.

gl though.
    Add random.chu to Rail
  11. If it were me, I wouldn't mention it at all. I don't like the risk/reward ratio. I don't think the pluses are many (anything you want to illustrate with poker you should be able to illustrate with other parts of your life), while the risk is just too high that the person reading it only sees "degenerate gambler" on the page.

Enjoy law school. It's an intellectually simulating experience.

Good thing you're 3+ years from exiting it, because the job market is brutal!
    Raise
    Add teratical to Rail
  12. apreciate all the help gentlemen

Thread StarterAdd wmmcl to Rail