1. if you can't beat the micros you won't beat higher stakes for a sustained period of time PERIOD.
    Add grandmamoneybags to Rail
  2. Personally, my ROI is higher in midstakes than in lowstakes. If you are a "thinking" player I think it would be better for you to play fewer games at a time in midstakes than filling your screen with lowstakes games. IMO its just more difficult to control the pace of a lowstakes game, as every time someone raises preflop 3 or more players want to play bingo with mediocre cards and will check/call down any pair.

Raise
    Add donkiman to Rail
  3. Merged from: whats a proper bankroll for 5/5, 5/10, and 10/25 live?

i just inherited some money and was wondering.
    Edited By: wackyJaxon Sep 6th, 2011 at 05:58 PM
    Add dannydunks to Rail
  4. So a buddy of mine deposited on to cake poker a couple of months ago and he built his roll enough so that he could stake me in some mtt's. I am no longer being staked by him but have had a few scores stakes and unstaked and have around 900 on there now. My question is for mtt players on cake, how much money would you keep on if you were trying to play the 10-50 $ level? I get the feeling that cake is on the verge of having some serious issues and don't know how much I should be leaving on there. Thanks for the advice in advance fellas.

Raise
    Add Andrew to Rail
  5. I would say if your average buyin is about $25, you should keep at least $2500 to be safe of going broke. If its easy for you to redeposit quickly, I would say you can keep it a bit lower so you aren't exposing yourself to risk if something happens on the Cake network.
    Raise
    Thread StarterAdd wackyJaxon to Rail
  6. Yeah I mean I am pretty good at BR management and always try to have about 100 buy ins for whatever stake im trying to play. I find Cake to be an exception though because the field sizes are generally under 200 runners. I guess my question was if you were a part time grinder and didnt put in much volume, would you risk having 900 on there or would you keep a minimal amount and if u go busto just say F it im done until it gets regulated.

Raise
    Add Andrew to Rail
  7. sorry to brag here but i need some advice i shipped the 11$ 7500$ on merge last night now i am mostly a micro stakes never usually playing over 16.50 buy in unless its the 109 Sunday 100k my question is should i stay settled down in my micro stakes or should i bump it up to the next level withdrawing is not an option either at the exact moment just would like a little advice thanks guys
    Raise
    Add rivered87 to Rail
  8. initially try and satellite into some larger buy in MTT's and also look into getting some training, this will become more important in the long run.

Saying that if your a recreational player enjoy the money and play whatever you like
    Raise
    Add Ptrou to Rail
  9. thanks man both good ideas i appreciate your feedback
    Add rivered87 to Rail
  10. It would depend on how significant $900.00 is to your bank roll. Since you were staked (probably started with 0.00), it would depend on whether you wish to continue playing online poker.

Note: It will likely take you about 90 days to off load what ever you decide to pull out. CAKE is slow to process their cash-outs because they have to keep changing their business relationships to get money to players.

You say you have BR mngmt under control, so your $900 is about right for playing $5 to $10 events. If you take 400 to 500 off you will be rolled for the small buy-in events unless you can get staked again.
    Raise
    Add MYBLUEDOG to Rail
  11. I took everything off Cake except $850 earlier this year because I was comfortable "losing" that amount. If you can't afford to "lose" $900 then withdraw $500 now (if you're lucky you will have your money by Christmas).

I felt like that amount would be enough to absorb a downswing (I play up to $30 buy ins) and if it was lost, seized or stolen it woudln't hurt too bad.

If you leave the $900 on there and run it up to $1400, take $500 off immediately. Rinse and repeat.

Good Luck
    Edited By: Cabo Sep 26th, 2011 at 04:59 PM
    Raise
    Add Cabo to Rail
  12. those are levels I play. everytime i get a cashout processed I start a new one and always bring my cake roll down to 1k. Been taking 8 weeks or more to get one though

Add stbroce42 to Rail
  13. Continue playing the tournies where you're +EV. Once you have some good volume under your belt, gradually increase your ABI as well as continue to learn/develop your game.
    Add Flopnuts1 to Rail
  14. thanks flop i will probably do that i might try some sattelites
    Add rivered87 to Rail
    Originally Posted by Cabo View Post

I took everything off Cake except $850 earlier this year because I was comfortable "losing" that amount. If you can't afford to "lose" $900 then withdraw $500 now (if you're lucky you will have your money by Christmas).

I felt like that amount would be enough to absorb a downswing (I play up to $30 buy ins) and if it was lost, seized or stolen it woudln't hurt too bad.

If you leave the $900 on there and run it up to $1400, take $500 off immediately. Rinse and repeat.

Good Luck

I mean I have a reasonable amount of money saved from poker, and am working full time so I think I wouldn't be devastated losing 900 considering how much ftp fucked me for. So I think your idea is exactly how I'm viewing it and will go with that. Never going to be staked again I don't think so 1k should be good enough to handle the swings for the 30 dollar range. Thanks for all the input guys.

Raise
    Add Andrew to Rail
  16. Hi guys, my name is DonkWanted, I play on pokerstars and I would like to hear some of your advice. I built a 10k bankroll and feel like I have a pretty solid tournament game. I would like to know what tournaments you think I should be playing and after reaching what amount would I be able to play in the midstake rebuys/high stakes tournies ($40+). Also, do you think I should be min raise opening or 2.xx preflop.

Thanks Guys

Raise
    Add DonkNotWanted to Rail
  17. Its all dependent, I would play all the Big up to 109's and 20c, doubt play the 50r is a good idea, and as for opening 3x preante and it really doesnt matter the deeper the smaller the open

Add jtj03 to Rail
  18. Hello all !

I made a $200 deposit a month ago and starting SnG from $1-$3, not running too well and got down to $125 in like a week. And then the most horrible thing happen.... which was going on tilt and taking shots at 25NL 6 max cash game.... I ended up lost $75 dollars and my bankroll dropped down to $50.

I know I am a winning player in live and online, but I have never put too much afford in bankroll building, I made $100 - $ 200 occasionally in 4 years time, once I double it up or broke even and I will cash them out. But this time I have told myself I need to make it work and build it up at least for once. So, with my little $50 bankroll, the perfect game for this roll would be the $1.5 6max hyper turbo, it has only 0.10 rake and it is very beatable to me. So, I grind and grind some more. I started multi-tabling from 4-12 at a time, and it went really well, my goal is roll it up to $1000!

After 500 games and my roll was up to $125, pretty much made all my money back from cash game. Since it was so profitable, I had no choice but to grind some more... i reached 1000 games and my bankroll has finally reached $400 ( I accidentally registered a $30 hyper turbo when my roll was at $100 and scared the shxt out of me... came 2nd tho..Lucky = ) ! I figured my ROI is around 13% , 0.20 cent each game, so in order to reach my $1000 goal , ideally i need to grind 2500 $1.5 hyper turbo.... that would be a braindead process...

However, my bad run started doing some damage to my bankroll, I suffered a 20 BI loosing streak, cost me nearly $40, I was thinking what the heck went wrong! So i re-adjust my game and start checking other ultimate hyper turbo players status, I came 2nd to a guy called "MaoXXXXX" on stars 3 games in row, and found out he is a true micro stake grinder ( top 10 $1.5 sng players with a star according to Sharkscope), he played almost 12k 1.5 hyper with a 10% ROI which is heaps good, however he never play other games at all tho. Assuming that I am as good as him and his graph shows that even the best player need 4k games to make $1000 profit.. So I started looked at ICM, and try to learn about it , got the basic concept tho but never really good at it.. Anyway it helps to fix my leak in the push/fold game. I honestly told myself thats not what I want... and some ppl say this kind of grind wouldn't help your game.

So, I have decided to grind it out till i reach $400 and I can make another game selection. As I expected, after 200 more braindead hyper turbo.... I reached $400 and started to played some 180 mtt turbo and pretty much even out. Then I decided to switch to my "A" game, $3.5 9man turbo sng ! After 50 games and I am up $50, my bankroll is now at $453 ( with bonus and I won a couple 70 fpp SnG , $11 T-dollars payout, strongly recommend for bankroll boost) .

I am looking forward to reach $1000 in one month time.

================================================== =========

Questions to all Pro :

1) Am I being too tight in bankroll management ? ( My comfort zone obliviously is 250 buyin SnG )

2) Once i reached $1000, should I try $7 hyper ? Or move on to cash game ? I am a decent ring game player too.

3) If I want to grind a bankroll up to a level and considering turn pro, should I start grinding cash game ? If so, what suggestion you guys would hv for me ? ( I know its a bit naive... but I always dream about it tho..) ?

4) I am an Asian now living in Hong Kong. So, I want win a seat to the APPT Macau, any good advice ?

Please feel free to PM me and chat about it if u wanna share experience with me since I am new to pocket5s.

================================================== =========

Thank you for your patience of reading my long assssss story =)

Cheers All

Ray
    Edited By: IBetYou Oct 15th, 2011 at 12:17 PM
    Raise
    Add IBetYou to Rail
  19. I would also be playing 109's and below and 11r and below, although i would include 22 1r1a too
    Add mcandrews3rd to Rail
    Originally Posted by mcandrews3rd View Post

I would also be playing 109's and below and 11r and below, although i would include 22 1r1a too

Wouldnt that be too much for my bankroll? I mean with 109s freezouts and 22 1r1 I only have about 100-150 games for them. I heard that you needed at least 300 buyins before playing a tournment, is that too nitty?

Raise
    Add DonkNotWanted to Rail
  21. Hi there,

I have alocated £5K (just under $8K) to play tourneys with over the next few months, if some could give me a structure of tourneys to play week in week out for a period of say a month or more all on stars I would be very greatful.
    Edited By: wackyJaxon Oct 18th, 2011 at 02:22 PM
    Raise
    Add SpagWol to Rail
  22. I have a $5000 bankroll at party poker and a $5000 roll at poker stars what % should i use for mtts?

Raise
    Add allani12 to Rail
  23. according to this, which is a solid guide, bout $33s and under but you can obv take shots now and then.

http://www.pocketfives.com/f7/sng-mu...-guide-378221/
    Raise
    Add Flopnuts1 to Rail
  24. i always assumed it was 2-5% of your bankroll for mtts

Add allani12 to Rail
  25. Lately it seems people are edging more to 0.5% of bankroll as an ABI, and not straying too much towards the highs and lows of that (so instead of $50, they might set their max to $75 tourneys, and just play anything under $75s). So in your case would say $10000 X 0.005 = $50 as an ABI. The higher games you play away from what you set as your ABI, the more variance can hit you. I don't see it as an issue if you are taking shots occasionally in the $215 with a $10K bankroll as well, but think it would be risky to play $162's+ or $55r's on a frequent basis with this bankroll. Optimally you would be playing $75's and under if you were being very strict. If being less strict, giving yourself and allowance for X amount of $109s and $215's you can play during a month. If you bankroll goes up, can re-evaluate. Just my 2 cents, feel free to pick apart my opinion here.
    Raise
  26. hi wacky i always assumed that 2-5% of your roll is used for mtts is this a mistake

Add allani12 to Rail
  27. Take a look at Fox's article in the OP of this thread. It really depends on how protected you want your bankroll to be. Fox's article is about 6 years old, but is great for the basics.

Jennifear also has an interesting article, and I would love to see either her or someone else build something new from there as its a couple of years old now and people may have additional ideas.

The 2-5% you are mentioning is fine for "taking shots" The 2% "shots" are fine to do more often than the 5% shots. I wouldn't be playing a $530 MTT unless it was something really special like a WCOOP event on that bankroll. I definitely would NOT be playing the weekly $530 on stars with your bankroll, however, would have no issue playing the $215 Sunday Million once a week assuming I am playing alot of tourneys during the week to even out variance a little. Once again, just my opinion. I don't even consider this opinion of being a bankroll nit. Most true bankroll nits would say don't play a tourney over $55 with that bankroll, and make sure you are playing alot of tourneys that are under $55. I am trying to work on my bankroll management strategy myself as now for tourneys I just play for fun 'taking shots' and use my money I am winning in cash games to fund it. I am trying to stay fairly conservative in my own cash game bankroll management as well, as I have cashed alot of money off in the last few months buying a new car, and purchasing a shit ton of stuff getting ready for my baby coming in 1 month. /ramble ;)
    Raise
  28. at party poker they have smaller fields with less variance so i assume with a 5k roll i should have no problem playing $100 mtts and under and the occasoinal $215 200k gtd on sundays without taking a hit on my roll.at poker stars the mtts have double the entrants so i assume $50 and under with the occasoinal 150 $ and 215$ mtt what do you think?

Raise
    Add allani12 to Rail
  29. Doesn't sound like a bad plan, but would re-evaluate it if you are on a downswing before things get out of hand.
  30. another question wacky with my 5k roll can i have 8-10% of my roll in play 5 days aweek or is that 2 much? meaning at party i will play 6mtts a day 5 days a week and at stars the same 6 mtts a day 5 days aweek .meaning i will spend $400 in mtts daily on each site will this work??
    Edited By: allani12 Oct 26th, 2011 at 02:02 AM

Raise
    Add allani12 to Rail