1. a friend of mine is staking me half of my buy in for a tourney tonight... whats the best deal guys? he is saying 65/35 in his favour? any ideas gratefully appreciated...

Add Z1MM3RM4N to Rail
  2. half the buyin, i´d say 50/50?

You have to pay him back when you not cash? if not, i´d say 60/40 is ok...

but i´m not an expert in staking..

Add FGEasiest to Rail
  3. Too much, IMO. If he's 50/50 on the buy-in, he should be 50/50 on the profit.
    Add grapsfan to Rail
  4. probably like 50/50 with cake, or 60/40 without sounds reasonable for a one time venture
    Add JonBon-10 to Rail
  5. i have never been involved in any staking, but if he is only giving you half the buy in than I say70/30 in your favor. If he wants to front the whole buy in then 65/35 in his favor is fair. But I wouldn't give him the majority if he is on 50% invested with no time invested. just my opinion tho
    Raise
    Add gamble153 to Rail
    Originally Posted by JonBon-10 View Post

probably like 50/50 with cake, or 60/40 without sounds reasonable for a one time venture

50/50 with cake is about right...if the backer is putting up the whole thing.

In this case, the backer's only putting up half, with no makeup, and I think the 50/50 split applies here just as well.
    Raise
    Add grapsfan to Rail
  7. I staking arrangement is good if both parties are satisfied with the deal.

If you have limited experience and a limited bankroll (you can't afford the buy-in); this sounds reasonable (as long as he doesn't want you to pay him back if you lose).

If he wants a straight payback if you loose; then this is a bad situation. He's loaning you the money to get most of your profit. If it's a loan, it's not staking.

<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">
    Raise
    Add MYBLUEDOG to Rail
    Originally Posted by grapsfan View Post

In this case, the backer's only putting up half, with no makeup, and I think the 50/50 split applies here just as well.

graps, I am not trying to get on your case or anything but how can it seem fair if the staker is putting only half. Both parties are putting in equal risk and one is putting in the time and experience, how is 50/50 even close to fair. Again I have never discussed staking with anyone but the logic behind this just seems off.
    Are people willing to give up so much just to reduce cost? I can understand giving up alot if it was eliminating cost. But if me and you throw up 100k to start a business and you want me to start it, manage it, and run it and then me send you half the profits seems like a bad deal imo. I am open to explanation tho
    Raise
    Add gamble153 to Rail
    Originally Posted by grapsfan View Post

aww man, just reread post and realise its only half the buy in. In that case I think grapsfan is right and 50/50 is pretty standard.

I think to answer Gamble's question above, I assume that getting backed for 50% of a buy-in means that OP is planning to play at least 100% above his ABI, or indeed top end of his buy-in scale. In this instance therefore, OP would not be able to play aforementioned tournament without the 50% stake, and so 50% cut of all winnings (w/o cake) seems pretty fair

With regards to your business analogy, you must assume that it would not be possible for you to stump up the full 200k start up capital, and so by another investor giving you 50%, it is now possible for you to make profit from said business, whereas it was impossible before investment
    Raise
    Add JonBon-10 to Rail
  10. It is not 50/50 and this is a super simple math problem. Stakee gets 100% of the 50% he buys in and 20% of the 50% that the stakee buys in. So 50%*100% + 50%*20%=50+10% for the stakee. Overall it should be 60/40.
    Raise
    Add iatetheredcrayon to Rail
    Originally Posted by iatetheredcrayon View Post

It is not 50/50 and this is a super simple math problem. Stakee gets 100% of the 50% he buys in and 20% of the 50% that the stakee buys in. So 50%*100% + 50%*20%=50+10% for the stakee. Overall it should be 60/40.

i guess i wont be getting staked ever unless they assume the whole buy in cuz the scenario given seems raw. Cant imagine anyone taking this when there are stakers paying the whole buyin for the same cut.
    Raise
    Add gamble153 to Rail
    Originally Posted by gamble153 View Post

i guess i wont be getting staked ever unless they assume the whole buy in cuz the scenario given seems raw. Cant imagine anyone taking this when there are stakers paying the whole buyin for the same cut.

I dont think you'll find <STRIKE>many</STRIKE> any backers asking for just a 50/50 cut when throwing up the whole buy-in. Like I said above, 50/50 with cake is about as best you can hope for with 100% buy-in from backer
    Raise
    Add JonBon-10 to Rail
    Originally Posted by JonBon-10 View Post

I dont think you'll find <STRIKE>many</STRIKE> any backers asking for just a 50/50 cut when throwing up the whole buy-in. Like I said above, 50/50 with cake is about as best you can hope for with 100% buy-in from backer

i agree with you 100%, but the OP is getting 50% stake and the consensus seems to be that he can get a better deal by getting backed all the way. Am I misreading this or what?
    Raise
    Add gamble153 to Rail
  14. Am getting staked 50% of the buy in and backer has agreed 55/45 which is totally cool with me... thanks for responses guys!

EDIT: I Managed to get 50/50 this time round. as the deal maybe be not just this tourney but as a long term deal. Obv will not always be 50/50 but he is also willing to pay full ammount for future tourneys with a different ratio to benefit him in the long run, which sounds good to me...

Raise
    Thread StarterAdd Z1MM3RM4N to Rail
  15. ??? 60/40 in the stakees favor is the lowest you should go. This is giving the staker 80/20 on his half of the buyin. At 70/30 on his half it would be 65/35 for the stakee. 60/40 would be 70/30 for the stakee. And 50/50 on his half would be 75/25. Anyways, the lowest the horse should take is 60/40, but he could negotiate up to 75/25.
    Raise
    Originally Posted by Z1MM3RM4N View Post

Am getting staked 50% of the buy in and backer has agreed 55/45 which is totally cool with me... thanks for responses guys!

you're getting jacked IMO.
  17. I would say 65/35 in your favor with stakeback and 50/50 with no stakeback.

65/35 with stakeback in his favor would be fair for a one time venture only if he was fronting the whole buy in imo.
    Add louiemdj to Rail
    Originally Posted by louiemdj View Post

I would say 65/35 in your favor with stakeback and 50/50 with no stakeback.

65/35 with stakeback in his favor would be fair for a one time venture only if he was fronting the whole buy in imo.

first response that includes common sense. I am assuming OP is not strapped for cash since he does half half the buy in. I guess in our society people take advantage of people that are short a few bucks. Greed......its the root af all evil
    Raise
    Add gamble153 to Rail
    Originally Posted by louiemdj View Post

I would say 65/35 in your favor with stakeback and 50/50 with no stakeback.

If this is a one time deal then there is no stakeback. You guys are getting confused between staking and buying pieces of someone. If you stake someone then 50/50 is standard even if you put up 100% of the buy in. If you buy a 50% piece of someone 50/50 is still standard because there is no makeup.
    Raise
    Add weeminer to Rail
  20. Wow, stunned at some of the responses here. &quot;Backer&quot; is only putting up half of the buyin. There are two major components to any backing deal....the staker and the player. In this case, you are 50% of the staker and 100% of the player. If you agree the staker should get 60/65% on a one time shot, then you would receive 30/32.5% as the staker and 40/35% as the player. In this case, you should get 67.5% to 70% of profits after each of you gets your buyin share back. No stakeback on a one time deal.

If you were to go staker/backer at 50/50, then you would receive 75% after the buyin is paid back, as you fronted half of the buyin.

What you worked out is a terrible and unfair deal for you.
    Raise
    Add Imustcall to Rail
  21. This should be 60/40 in favor of the horse for reasons already explained ITT. I have class mad soon so I can't go over it again (might edit later), but anything less and your getting ripped off.
    Add MDG0RD0N to Rail
  22. Okay, I wanted to come in here and fix this, but there's just so many people going in different directions that it can't be saved.

What are the chances all responses in this thread can get deleted and we can start fresh?

Raise
    Add Wein to Rail
    Originally Posted by Wein View Post

Okay, I wanted to come in here and fix this, but there's just so many people going in different directions that it can't be saved.

What are the chances all responses in this thread can get deleted and we can start fresh?

probably not great, but if you put in your thoughts and fix this the rest of us can pretend you were the first response, and correct one
    Raise
    Add JonBon-10 to Rail
  24. If you were getting staked in an official deal i.e. not through a friend, the deal would go like this.

With make up:

The deal would be 50/50 of the piece he bought. Since he only bought half, he would then get 25% off the entire score.

Without make up:

He would get 80/20 his favor on the piece he bought. Since he bought half, he would get 40% of the entire score.

I'm not even staked or been staked and I know way more about than I thought.

Raise
    Add kongs to Rail
    Originally Posted by Imustcall View Post

Wow, stunned at some of the responses here. &quot;Backer&quot; is only putting up half of the buyin. There are two major components to any backing deal....the staker and the player. In this case, you are 50% of the staker and 100% of the player. If you agree the staker should get 60/65% on a one time shot, then you would receive 30/32.5% as the staker and 40/35% as the player. In this case, you should get 67.5% to 70% of profits after each of you gets your buyin share back. No stakeback on a one time deal.

If you were to go staker/backer at 50/50, then you would receive 75% after the buyin is paid back, as you fronted half of the buyin.

What you worked out is a terrible and unfair deal for you.

thank god for another voice of reason. So much bad advice in this thread.
    Raise
  26. IMO it should be somewhere between 40-45%. In normal staking your get all the buy in and he gets half the profit, so that's 25% profit per half stake. Now u do have make up there so adjust for not having that with this deal,

IMO 15-20% + 25% for 1/2 stake = 40-45% max to the staker.
    Raise
    Add dgillis to Rail