[x]

See Where You Rank in Virginia

1. i just read most of the thread started by tranquilchaos, but couldnt take it any more when i got to the s jobs link. I doubt this will make me popular, and i apologize to the p5 guys im gonna see this weekend in nashville, but...c'mon. Is poker really what jobs was talking about? I said a lot more, but deleted it as I thought I'd see where this goes before i say something really offensive...the gist is, poker is a way to make money...being happy is a by-product of making money...the only happy poker players are winning poker players...what else about poker could make one happy?
    Add tanksljp to Rail
  2. forgetting about their crappy day job while relaxing with their friends for a few hours?
    Add drewAA to Rail
  3. The link to the Jobs speech was not intended to say he was speaking about poker, obviously, but it was an inspirational piece about making life decisions. I thought it fit the thread quite well.
    Add trplthrt to Rail
  4. I didn't.
    Add jsbyun to Rail
  5. me either
    Add niptuck to Rail
  6. sure, thats the way i do it...as a hobby...but the idea that professional poker is anything more than a money-making venture is incorrect. Winners are pros, losers are addicts
    Thread StarterAdd tanksljp to Rail
  7. The TQ thread was about following one's heart, taking risks, going against the grain, etc. Jobs' messages were definitely relevant in my eyes- here's a few excerpts for those who didn't read it.

You have to trust in something - your gut, destiny, life, karma, whatever. This approach has never let me down, and it has made all the difference in my life.

Your work is going to fill a large part of your life, and the only way to be truly satisfied is to do what you believe is great work. And the only way to do great work is to love what you do. If you haven't found it yet, keep looking. Don't settle. As with all matters of the heart, you'll know when you find it. And, like any great relationship, it just gets better and better as the years roll on. So keep looking until you find it. Don't settle.

Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life. Don't be trapped by dogma - which is living with the results of other people's thinking. Don't let the noise of other's opinions drown out your own inner voice. And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.
    Raise
    Add buythebook to Rail
  8. I would have to write a really long post to properly defend myself on this topic. I will spare you guys the long read. I can tell you that I think Job's message is great, but based on my experience I think it's very dangerous when applied to professional poker.

I think those who feel it's very appropriate have a somewhat distorted view of poker and what it offers.
    Raise
    Add jsbyun to Rail
  9. if i had decided to be a drug dealer, couldnt you have also applied the jobs quote?...my point is that playing poker professionally/gambling professionally isnt really following ones heart in any positive sense. Or, at least it shouldnt be. You should only play poker professionally if you can afford to, not because you want to. I think tranquilchaos is the wrong person to start a taking the plunge thread in the first place, as a single 21 yr old cant really take a plunge into anything, and perhaps this makes jobs quote somewhat relevant to this thread only...he was, after all, addressing mostly single 21 year olds with very little responsibility.

My main problem with the quote, though, is this burgeoning idea that professional poker is a noble profession, much less respectable. Its a zero sum game, and as such, I feel the drug dealer analogy I opened with is somewhat applicable. i lose it i guess when we start giving people links to commencement addresses when someone mentions their desire to play poker professionally. in any case, im willing to keep going, but i gotta take a dump
    Raise
    Thread StarterAdd tanksljp to Rail
  10. It's much worse than a zero sum game with places like Party Poker taking in a million dollars a day in rake.
    Add jsbyun to Rail
  11. I think I understand what you're saying, jysbun. If masses of recreational poker players apply Jobs' messages indiscriminately, it would lead to widespread carnage:). But I was applying it to TQ's situation...a winning player (thus far) who is young enough to follow his heart/take the plunge because, worst-case scenario, he can always return to a more mainstream lifestyle a couple years down the road. I myself am starting over career-wise at the age of 37, and much of the risk associated with the move wouldn't apply if I were 21.
    Raise
    Add buythebook to Rail