[x]

See Where You Rank in Virginia

1. okay, about 400 left in the 5r. i had been abusing the bubble for a while, then slowed down to a run of cold cards.

the villain (unnamed) is a pretty poor player; his ROI is something like -60% in 1k games. i had notes on him from another tournament that he "minbet donks into huge pots with mediocre holdings, then refuses to let them go". he recently called with A-3 in the small blind, got shoved on by the BB, called, and sucked out on A-8.

in general, he is a pretty poor player who overvalues hands, but doesn't raise a whole lot... through 132 hands, his VPIP is 22, and PFR is 7. he steals about 40% of the time from the cutoff.

he shoves 14 BB's from the cutoff into me.

what should i call with? what do you think he is raising with?

PokerStars Game #xxx: Tournament #xxx, $5.00+$0.50 Hold'em No Limit - Level XXI (1250/2500) - 2008/12/04 xx:xx:xx ET
    Table 'xxxxxxx' 9-max Seat #1 is the button
    Seat 1: SJU Baseball (11175 in chips)
    Seat 2: Top-water1 (21055 in chips)
    Seat 3: leftygrovev2 (36580 in chips)
    Seat 4: dgc03 (24150 in chips)
    Seat 5: katkc (10555 in chips)
    Seat 6: Boggster (14225 in chips)
    Seat 7: Dewmister (26200 in chips)
    Seat 8: buffalo021 (22905 in chips)
    Seat 9: villain (37890 in chips)
    SJU Baseball: posts the ante 300
    Top-water1: posts the ante 300
    leftygrovev2: posts the ante 300
    dgc03: posts the ante 300
    katkc: posts the ante 300
    Boggster: posts the ante 300
    Dewmister: posts the ante 300
    buffalo021: posts the ante 300
    villain: posts the ante 300
    Top-water1: posts small blind 1250
    leftygrovev2: posts big blind 2500
    *** HOLE CARDS ***
    Dealt to leftygrovev2 [X X]
    dgc03: folds
    katkc: folds
    Boggster: folds
    Dewmister: folds
    buffalo021: folds
    villain: raises 35090 to 37590 and is all-in
    SJU Baseball: folds
    Top-water1: folds
    leftygrovev2:???
    Add leftygrove to Rail
  2. Well I would guess that if he's shoving 40% of the deck from the cutoff then you know what his shoving range is and just need to run this thru pokerstove eh? (which i'm a noob about)

But my guess (about ur calling range) would be like A7s+, 55+, KTs+????

Raise
    Add TheVillageGrinder to Rail
    Originally Posted by TheVillageGrinder View Post

Well I would guess that if he's shoving 40% of the deck from the cutoff then you know what his shoving range is and just need to run this thru pokerstove eh? (which i'm a noob about)

But my guess (about ur calling range) would be like A7s+, 55+, KTs+????

shit i don't think he's shoving 40% from the cutoff!! that's like 8-6s+ haha

i just mean he's stolen from the cutoff a lot. shoving is a little different heh

and those stats are from a really small sample... i just wanted to give you guys everything i had access to
    Raise
    Thread StarterAdd leftygrove to Rail
  4. his range, as a player uve described is AK a large % of the time. Also its pairs that he isnt comfortable playing. Im sure hed be trickier with KK/AA but id say 55-QQ are easily in his range as well. To call this id say AQ+ 88+. Vs a smarter player my range opens up significantly but vs idiots they make shoves like this almost always w/ stronger hands.
    Raise
    Add doubledave22 to Rail
  5. Well if he's shoving correctly, his range would probably be something like 22+,A4o+,A2s+,KTo,K8s+,QTo,Q8s+,JTo,J8s+,T8s+ However, given his stats and info, he might be shoving a tad tighter of a range, maybe like 20% of hands instead of ~27%. (unless you're still on the money bubble, then it could be looser)

But given the originals, your calling range should be something in the area of 33+,A7o+,A2s+,KTo,K8s+,QJo,QTs, again, it varies based on reads, etc. Are you still on the money bubble?

And I disagree that he's going to be shoving 40% of hands, that's too wide for a guy who's 22/7/132
    Raise
    Add wandigo to Rail
  6. If you fold you are still left with an M of about 5 and moving past the blinds. Therefore I think you can tighten up your calling range to like A9+, any pair, KQ.
    Add Pod the Bod to Rail
    Originally Posted by doubledave22 View Post

his range, as a player uve described is AK a large % of the time. Also its pairs that he isnt comfortable playing. Im sure hed be trickier with KK/AA but id say 55-QQ are easily in his range as well. To call this id say AQ+ 88+. Vs a smarter player my range opens up significantly but vs idiots they make shoves like this almost always w/ stronger hands.

this seems pretty accurate
    Raise
    Add Gags30 to Rail
  8. OK, I never gave results. Thanks for the replies.

I had A-Jo. Once it got folded to the cutoff, I was ready to snapcall anything. But when the CO shoved, I was a little skeptical. A bad player usually shoves on a range that's too tight in these situations, like dave said. So I tried to logically set a range on these assumptions:

--there's no way he plays AA or KK like that

--QQ and AK are possible, although at the time, i figured shoving AK is kind of unlikely. usually i see people min raise or 3x it, hoping for a resteal. both seem kind of unlikely to me.

--A-9s through A-Q all seem like strong possibilities

--the most likely part of his range is 3-3 to J-J, especially the middle pocket pairs under jacks. i figured J-J was less likely, since i have a blocker, so i'm flipping a good portion of the time here.

so, i decided to call. one of my problems when i first started playing tournaments was that i was too nitty. sometimes i find myself folding opportunities to chip up, and i dwindle down before i get a hand. so, i decided a coinflip situation was something i should probably take at this level.

it might have been a mistake, because so far, i was playing well against this table, which included a lot of mediocre players.

but anyways, surprisingly enough, he showed down KK. i couldn't believe he would play KK that way, but hey, he got my chips in, so more power to him. gg.

thanks for the replies.
    Raise
    Thread StarterAdd leftygrove to Rail