1. Im doing my research paper which i will submit to the PPA and certain members of congress.

Yet, im not finished yet but i have learned alot about the jurisdictional issues regarding internet poker.

In response to this,

Party poker and other sites are strictly not allowing us players based on COURTESY of the united states and the unlawful gaming bill. By this i mean, party poker and other sites CAN offer their services LEGALLY. Yet, its up to US players to decide whether to gamble or not.

Heres an email from party poker and poker-stars regulation their legal status based on my questions i asked them regarding their jurisdictional issues.

Message from PartyPoker:

Thank you for contacting Customer Care.

Yes, we lost a lot of revenue when we lost our USA players. There is no need of statistics to prove that. However, there is no depth to get into. Our company made a decision to stick to the law even and prove to our players that we are a company that can be trusted no matter what happens. This seemed to be the right thing to do at the time and once we have made up our mind, we would not reconsider our choices.

There would be no alternative ways in which our players would fund their accounts with us from the USA. This would be easy to do, as you have pointed out, others are doing it. However, we will wait for the USA to change their laws regarding online gaming. Until then, unfortunately, USA players will not play on our site with real money. There is not much to be said regarding the matter, I am sorry to say.

If you have any further questions please do not hesitate to contact us again. We are available 24/7 and we will be more than happy to assist you.

Thank you for choosing us as your online gaming site.

Kind regards,

Lin

PartyPoker Customer Service
    Have Fun and Gamble Responsibly

Message from Pokerstars

<span>Regarding our US players, in October of 2006 the <span id="lw_1272249585_0">United States Congress</span>
    enacted the Safe Port Act, which included what is now called the UIGEA
    (<span id="lw_1272249585_1">Unlawful Internet Gambling Enforcement Act</span>). This Act restricts <span id="lw_1272249585_2">financial
    institutions</span> in the USA from transferring funds to on-line <span id="lw_1272249585_3">gaming sites</span>.
    Here at <span id="lw_1272249585_4">PokerStars</span>, we work in accordance to the laws of every country where
    we provide our service. This is why we work identified (coded) as a gaming
    site for <span id="lw_1272249585_5">credit card transactions</span>, therefore providing a safe, honest and
    reliable service to our players.

PokerStars has received extensive expert advice from within and outside the
    U.S. that concludes that these provisions do not alter the U.S. legal
    situation with respect to our offering of online <span id="lw_1272249585_6">poker games</span>. Furthermore,
    it is important to emphasize that the Act does not prohibit them from
    playing online poker. Therefore, our business continues as before, open to
    players worldwide including the U.S. They may play on our site as you did
    prior to the Act.</span>

I hope this clears up some questions that i had about internet poker. More to come! Thanks
    Add Unreal03 to Rail
  2. My understanding is that publicly held companies (such as PP, 888, etc) are under strict regulatory oversight in the jurisdictions in which they trade. Conducting business in a jurisdiction that is clearly unfavorable to their activity would have numerous repercussions. They quickly determined that they'd get themselves in multiple jams if they continued to do business in the US.
    Add Colonel to Rail
    Originally Posted by Unreal03 View Post

Message from PartyPoker:

Thank you for contacting Customer Care.

Yes, we lost a lot of revenue when we lost our USA players. There is no need of statistics to prove that. However, there is no depth to get into. Our company made a decision to stick to the law even and prove to our players that we are a company that can be trusted no matter what happens. This seemed to be the right thing to do at the time and once we have made up our mind, we would not reconsider our choices.

LOL at Party.

UIGEA didn't make any online gaming unlawful. Rather, this act provided enforcement for other state and federal laws. So, if Party felt it was unlawful to offer poker the day after UIGEA took effect, according to them they felt they were offering an unlawful service the entire time they were in the U.S. market. Of course, they don't say that. Rather, they want credit for leaving when UIGEA passed.

Add TheEngineer to Rail