[x]

See Where You Rank in Virginia

1. Want to stand up for your rights but have only 60 seconds? Click this link, either type your info or click your AutoFill button, then click "submit". You'll send the PPA letter to both of your Senators and to your Congressman. It takes literally one minute!

Add TheEngineer to Rail
  2. Here's the PPA letter that was jointly written by many of your fellow poker players at another site where I used to post.

The web form automatically fills everything in properly, so all you really have to do is click "send":

Dear [Congressman's name inserted]:

I am writing as a constituent, voter, and an avid poker player to ask for your support.

Specifically, I hope you will support any and all bills to clarify last year’s Unlawful Internet Gambling Enforcement Act (UIGEA), to expressly exempt the great game of poker from UIGEA’s onerous restrictions.

Poker is a uniquely American game of skill and a great American pastime. Presidents such as FDR and Harry Truman, Chief Justices such as William Rehnquist and William Howard Taft, members of Congress, generals, and average Americans have enjoyed poker for more than 150 years. It is an honorable game. I am proud to play it, and there is no reason for the federal government to treat a poker game that adults play against others online any differently than a Friday night poker game played around a kitchen table.

A national survey by Harris Interactive (June 5-12, 2007) confirms that sixty-nine percent of the general public agree that poker is a game of skill, while only seventeen percent disagree. Other polls have shown strong support for keeping Internet poker legal. And, the Poker Players Alliance, a national nonprofit organization of poker players and enthusiasts, now has more than 800,000 members! We are all energized and we will vote for poker.

Unfortunately, to my disappointment and contrary to the desires of the American people, my right to play poker online was inadvertently restricted with the passage of the Unlawful Internet Gambling Enforcement Act of 2006 (UIGEA). While it is clear that UIGEA does not apply to Internet poker nationwide (federal case law has consistently held that the Wire Act applies only to sports betting, and very few states have any laws against Internet poker), this legislation has nonetheless had a chilling effect on my ability to access and patronize these legal businesses. I ask that you help rectify this situation by supporting clarifying legislation.

I hope you will support both HR 2610, the Skill Game Protection Act and HR 2046, the Internet Gambling Regulation and Enforcement Act. HR 2610 clarifies federal law by expressly exempting games of skill like poker from UIGEA. HR 2046, the Internet Gambling Regulation and Enforcement Act, regulates online poker via stringent licensing regulations for poker site operators. Both bills have rigorous safeguards against underage and compulsive gambling.

These safeguards will work -- the June 8, 2007 House Financial Services Committee hearing on Internet gaming proved conclusively that Internet poker can be effectively regulated. Note that neither bill forces any state to permit online poker; states can opt out if they wish.

Online poker will continue to exist with or without the participation of the United States. We are losing our opportunity to control the risks of the online world with reasonable regulation, as well as the opportunities for U.S. companies to operate sites for either the domestic or the international markets. This is costing America jobs and tax revenue.

What’s important to me is your support for restoring my rights. Please respond to this letter and let me know if you will support HR 2610 and 2046. I will be watching your actions on this issue closely. I hope that I -- and my eight hundred thousand fellow Poker Players Alliance members -- can count on your support.

Thank you for your consideration.

Sincerely,

[your name]

Thread StarterAdd TheEngineer to Rail
  3. This is incredibly simple to do guys. It certainly can't hurt and the more the better! Great forum btw, keep it up!
    Add Juice322 to Rail
  4. This is easy through the link. Our representatives need every email and letter they get from us. They need to actually start listening to and representing their constituents.
    Add kevin070 to Rail
  5. Thanks! I'm glad we're all doing this.

Everyone: please post here once you've sent your letter. That will encourage others to send their letters.

Thread StarterAdd TheEngineer to Rail