After collecting votes from over 80 industry heavyweights, the Global Poker Index has chosen the nominees for its 2nd Annual American Poker Awards. The event returns to the SLS Hotel in Beverly Hills on February 25, and will recognize North America’s standout poker players, industry professionals and tournaments of 2015.
Here is the full list of this year’s nominees by category:
Tournament Performance of the Year
Vying for the tournament performance award are four pros with over $35 million in total live cashes between them. Jonathan Duhamel, Mike Gorodinsky and Joe McKeehen were nominated for their showing during the 2015 WSOP, while Anthony Zinno joins the list for his win at the WPT L.A. Poker Classic.
- Jonathan Duhamel, WSOP One Drop High Roller
- Mike Gorodinsky, WSOP Poker Players’ Championship
- Joseph McKeehen, WSOP Main Event
- Anthony Zinno, WPT L.A. Poker Classic
Moment of the Year
Zinno’s spectacular back-to-back WPT title wins in February and March also puts him in the running for the Moment of the Year award. The smashing success of the inaugural WSOP Colossus tournament is also recognized, along with Phil Hellmuth’s bracelet win #14. Daniel Negreanu’s 11th place finish in the WSOP Main Event could be considered both impressive and heartbreaking at the same time, and takes the fourth nomination for the category.
Breakout Performance of the Year
- Joshua Beckley (2015 earnings: $4,612,957)
- Asher Conniff (2015 earnings: $1,317,619)
- Kelly Minkin (2015 earnings: $603,680)
- Cate Hall (2015 earnings: $396,686)
Event of the Year (Buy-In up to $2,000)
- WSOP The Colossus, Rio All-Suites Hotel and Casino, Las Vegas
- WPT500 at ARIA, Las Vegas
- WSOP Millionaire Maker, Rio All-Suites Hotel and Casino, Las Vegas
- WPTDeepStacks – DSPT Championship, Grey Eagle Resort & Casino, Calgary
Event of the Year (Buy-In over $2,000)
- Super High Roller Bowl, ARIA, Las Vegas
- WSOP Main Event, Rio All-Suites Hotel and Casino, Las Vegas
- WSOP One Drop High Roller, Rio All-Suites Hotel and Casino, Las Vegas
- WPT Seminole Hard Rock Poker Showdown, Hollywood, FL
Industry Person of the Year
- Jack Effel, WSOP Vice President and Tournament Director
- William Mason, Seminole Hard Rock Director of Poker
- John Pappas, Poker Players Alliance Executive Director
- Matt Savage, TDA Founder, WPT Executive Director
Charitable Initiative of the Year
- Chad Brown Memorial Tournament (Maria Ho, Vanessa Rousso)
- Charity Series of Poker (Matthew Stout)
- Tiger’s Poker Night (hosted by Tiger Woods, WPT Foundation)
- WSOP One Drop High Roller / Little One for One Drop
Media Person of the Year
PocketFives’ own Kevin Mathers, Twitch pioneer Jason Somerville, poker podcaster Joey ‘Chicago Joey’ Ingram and PokerNews Editor-In-Chief Donnie Peters are all up for the Media Person of the Year award.
Poker Presenter of the Year
- Sarah Herring
- Kara Scott
- Joe Stapleton
- David Tuchman
Poker Innovation or Initiative of the Year
- Poker Central launches 24/7 television network
- SHRPO (in conjunction with PNIA) livestreams four FTs in same room/at same time
- WSOP adds online bracelet event (with live final table)
- WSOP introduces ‘The Colossus’
Media Content of the Year
- BUST, an Insider’s Account of Greenville’s Underground Poker Scene (Brad Willis)
- Faraz Jaka Homeless Poker Millionaire, CNN Money (Jaka, Gayles, Carson)
- Jason Somerville’s record Twitch Broadcast during WCOOP in September 2015
- Joe Giron shoots photo of Negreanu crumbled on the floor after ME elimination
Last but not least, Kelly Minkin will receive the award for the 2015 GPI Female Player of the Year, while Byron Kaverman will take home the honor of the overall 2015 GPI Player of the Year.
GPI’s American Poker Conference will be held earlier in the day and will feature discussions on Poker Media, Women in Poker and eSports. Also scheduled for that day is the inaugural Global Poker League draft, in which managers from the league’s 12 teams will choose players to fill out their 2016 season rosters. A jury will convene one day before the awards to decide the winners of each category.
Visit the American Poker Awards website to find out more information or to register for the event.