Can I be a winning player? Perhaps a more realistic goal is to become a break even player, or maybe even a losing-less player. Either way after a couple years of playing online almost daily, I am a losing player in spite of giving it my best shot.
I have been using Poker Tracker (collecting hand history, looking at charts, stats, leak tracker) to try and identify my leaks and even found a particular game that I was in fact profitable ($3 $5 DON SnG) but that game is no longer available on ACR. Becoming a better player all around has to be the key to me getting out of the loser club. I thought a little accountability might help me so I will set some goals here and contribute my experiences as I try to learn my way out of losing status.
Today ACR seems to be down and is the reason I ended up here in an effort to make good use of the playing down time. I usually play 9 max or 6 max regular SnG @ $1.50 + $.15 as well as the Big 10 MTTs @ $2, $3 $5, and other low stakes MTTs under $10 buy-in.
I have also played quite a bit of the $3, $5, $10, and $15 SnG 6max and 9 max regular and turbo but as of late I have been practicing bankroll management and staying at 1% - 3% buy-in rule which keeps me playing the $1.65 SnGs and under $5 MTTs.
After 600 or 700 tournaments over two years, I am down about 1K. I have had a ton of fun playing and learning but would like to be a winning player or at least find out if I can in fact be a winning player.
I have done most everything one can do as far as research and study of the game but where I fall short is in the following areas:
- Sharing hands with others - my excuse is that it seems intrusive unless I have something to offer (working on this). Not sure how best to do this efficiently
- Coaching - I have had none but would absolutely consider investing in it
- Life balance - these past two years were some of the hardest of my life and must have an effect on my game
- Self-review of Hand History - just started to do this through PT4
- Using PT4 - I have been collecting the data and using the HUD but not using the tools to their fullest potential, this starts now though.
- Math - could be better at calculating and understanding some of the on-the-fly calculations needed to be a winning player. I can calculate pot odds and outs usually
My latest changes to my game:
- Increased Positional awareness
- Increased Bet size/stack size/pot size awareness
- Folding more to 3bets, Cbets, turn bets, river bets
- Reducing my VPIP
- Reducing my overall Aggression Factor
Also looking for new books and online materials, reviewing old materials, try to participate more on forums and find some real-world poker-friendly people and places. Scheduling a monthly trip to casino to play the MTT and $1/$2 cash table.
Your feedback and suggestions are welcome and appreciated.