1. Alrighty the time has come. Here are the links to my two last rail threads/challenges, both which were surprisingly successful.

https://www.pocketfives.com/f10016/h...thread-717746/

https://www.pocketfives.com/f10016/m...eryone-715442/

I managed to bust my roll with a fairly big non-poker related tilt spew over the last two months. Today I begin the journey back to recovery, which I've been delaying somewhat until I felt absolutely ready.

Cheers to PocketFives!

I'm starting with a mere $71 on PokerStars, far less than I started with on even my first challenge/journey (which was $800ish). I could deposit but, for me, being forced to work my way up is a necessary lesson and will hopefully make me think twice about tilt spewing my roll next time we get there.

I am going to do a lot more dedicated study this time round, starting now. 30 mins - 1 hour before each session will be a study session to keep me sharp and bring me into the poker zone. By the end of that I should be amped to play and when you're interested you're focused and ought to play better.

Gl all. I'll continue updating as I go.

Starting roll: $71 (PokerStars).

Add CheapTorque to Rail
  2. Goodluck brother!
    Add EireStyle to Rail
  3. The 71 bucks is your entire roll or just on pokerstars? What are you going to play to grind it up, sngs or mtts and what buyin? Looking forward to following your progress. GL.
    Add cage to Rail
  4. Best of luck man! Post some hands, I'm bored and am sad to see this place almost dead.
    Add threeven to Rail
  5. That must of been one hell of a tilt spew, too many gummibears?! Nah, they contain gelatine!

Come on Cheaptorque, you can do it, show us the way!!

GOOD LUCK.
    Edited By: samj123 Jun 27th, 2017 at 12:13 PM
    Add samj123 to Rail
  6. Thanks everyone, appreciate the support! Had a pretty brutal first day. Grinding currently and will post updates and answer all of your questions on the next break.

Thread StarterAdd CheapTorque to Rail

That must of been one hell of a tilt spew, too many gummibears?! Nah, they contain gelatine!

It's still a possibility! The misses found gelatine free gummy bears and feeds them to me regularly

Best of luck man! Post some hands, I'm bored and am sad to see this place almost dead.

Cheers bro! Will do.

The 71 bucks is your entire roll or just on pokerstars? What are you going to play to grind it up, sngs or mtts and what buyin? Looking forward to following your progress. GL.

It's suicide really bro, this is going to require some luck its really just as simple as that. I'm going to be grinding all the games I consider to be decent, and if/when I bink something I'm going to withdraw and put almost all of it onto iPoker etc. and grind it up there where the $ is easy and the buy ins and field sizes are small.

As for stars I'm playing anything from $0.55 - $5.50 freezeouts avoiding turbos and avoiding any hypers etc., looking for deepstack games and small structures.

Goodluck brother!

Cheers!

I have a few games going but have just about bust the roll on Stars, still two games and a few odd dollars left though! Also some kind person shipped me some $ to play with on Party Poker so I am adding that in.

Total roll is around the $100 mark.

GLGLGL!

Originally Posted by CheapTorque View Post

It's suicide really bro, this is going to require some luck its really just as simple as that. I'm going to be grinding all the games I consider to be decent

I mean stars has great options for microstakes. With good BR management $100 should be easy to avoid going bust if you are a winning player.
    Add threeven to Rail
    Originally Posted by threeven View Post

I mean stars has great options for microstakes. With good BR management $100 should be easy to avoid going bust if you are a winning player.

Sticking to 1 cent games is pretty hard psychologically in itself. But I'm grinding fairly big field $1- $5 buy ins, I think even the best players can easily go broke doing that in microstakes stars fields.

I managed to have a half decent run today on the untracked site I play and won around $500, but I've busto'd my stars roll. Looks like I am going to have to put some of that onto iPoker and grind up. Still have around $20 on Party.

Came close to some sick cashes today but just couldn't win the important ones. Any day now I can just about taste it...Playing much better than have been in the last few months, not too pissed off with bad beats or any sort of non poker related stress, and doing the odd bit of study. Just need to get more sleep now and I'll be sorted!

Here's some hands from today for whoever it was that wanted some:

http://www.pokerhandreplays.com/view.php/id/8358458
    - Should of made my 4bet size a little bit bigger?

http://www.boomplayer.com/en/poker-h...291_CED45C184C

http://www.pokerhandreplays.com/view.php/id/8359292
    - Maybe a little bigger vs this fishy station? Or this size alright?

http://www.pokerhandreplays.com/view.php/id/8359308
    - Some bad beats for the cry babies, bubble of the $20,000 gtd rebuy

Total roll is now around $513

Better luck over the weekend! GG
    Edited By: CheapTorque Jun 29th, 2017 at 11:54 PM

Sticking to 1 cent games is pretty hard psychologically in itself. But I'm grinding fairly big field $1- $5 buy ins, I think even the best players can easily go broke doing that in microstakes stars fields.

I dunno man I feel like this is just a mindset thing. Try to just enjoy playing the game, out smarting people, and making good decisions. Don't sweat trying to rebuild a bankroll too fast. I know this is all easier said than done, but if you can enjoy playing tiny games for fun without worrying about moving up I think you will have a much better time, and you'll get the larger bankroll eventually. Then again, if you have the money and don't mind depositing then have at it.

http://www.pokerhandreplays.com/view.php/id/8358458
    - Should of made my 4bet size a little bit bigger?

Just shove man. You are obviously committed if he shoves, and this hand is pretty decent to shove if this guy is 3betting a lot. The price you give him with this 4bet makes it pretty reasonable for him to call, and this isn't a hand you really want to play OOP in a huge pot postflop.

http://www.boomplayer.com/en/poker-h...291_CED45C184C

Honestly depending on the table I sometimes just fold this pre with your stack. It's pretty marginal imo, and you have such a good stack for reshoving. I'd rather use it to shove over an open then open a marginal spot, especially in these small stakes tournaments where you are likely to just get called by a bunch of people and then you are in a rough spot.

That being said, I'd probably play the same postflop. Your hand is too strong and people do silly things.

http://www.pokerhandreplays.com/view.php/id/8359292
    - Maybe a little bigger vs this fishy station? Or this size alright?

Preflop or postflop? Either way I think your sizing is ok. I'd usually bet a little smaller all around, but as long as you are betting like that with bluffs and good hands then I think you are fine. And since you said this guy is a station it makes sense to bet bigger with all your hands.

I don't try and sweat sizing too much as long as you are somewhat balanced. Unless its egregiously bad, I think "bad" bet sizing is usually one of the least important leaks in most people's games.

http://www.pokerhandreplays.com/view.php/id/8359308
    - Some bad beats for the cry babies, bubble of the $20,000 gtd rebuy

Brutal. I usually just ship it here because people these days love to just snap off 3bets. Don't think the 3bet is bad by any means, just probably not what I do (but I am by no means a great player.)

edit: the more I think about it the less sure I am of whether I like shove or 3bet. 3bet might be more optimal, but its just such a shitty spot a huge percentage of the time that he does call.

Total roll is now around $513

Nice man, keep killing it.
    Edited By: threeven Jun 30th, 2017 at 02:15 AM
    Add threeven to Rail
  11. Turn off chat on whatever site you be playing on - say nothing to anyone, I used to tilt hard with the trash talk - bans on chatting etc. but when I left it alone I found it easier to concentrate and I got rid of a lot of tilt problems.
    Add cage to Rail
  12. Cheers for the comments people.

I dunno man I feel like this is just a mindset thing.

It probably is. But I think if I am knowingly playing $1 - $5 buy ins with field sizes of 500+ I should be prepared to go broke. A really good player would have better bank roll management than that. I haven't plugged it into the variance calculator but I think the probability of loss over say 1000 games would be around 20 - 30% at a guess. I'll try it after posting this.

Just shove man. You are obviously committed if he shoves, and this hand is pretty decent to shove if this guy is 3betting a lot. The price you give him with this 4bet makes it pretty reasonable for him to call, and this isn't a hand you really want to play OOP in a huge pot postflop.

I'm really not happy to get in over 40bb preflop with A5s, you don't think it's fine to 4bet fold and leave myself with over 30bb to play with? I suppose I'm going to have 30% against almost everything villain jams though so perhaps you're right I haven't done the math here so I'll go do that now. It just doesn't seem helpful to get in 40bb effective pre with A5s when I can fold and leave myself with over 30bb playable stack.

I think it's tough for villain to call for the same reason, flop SPR will be <1, and they're 3betting with air quite a lot here. If the choice is jamming or folding to the 3bet would you rather fold?

Honestly depending on the table I sometimes just fold this pre with your stack. It's pretty marginal imo, and you have such a good stack for reshoving. I'd rather use it to shove over an open then open a marginal spot, especially in these small stakes tournaments where you are likely to just get called by a bunch of people and then you are in a rough spot.

That being said, I'd probably play the same postflop. Your hand is too strong and people do silly things.

You're probably right. And yep I think the flop plays itself. Definitely open folding ATo in the same spot, AQo never. AJ is meh I guess.

Preflop or postflop? Either way I think your sizing is ok. I'd usually bet a little smaller all around, but as long as you are betting like that with bluffs and good hands then I think you are fine. And since you said this guy is a station it makes sense to bet bigger with all your hands.

I don't try and sweat sizing too much as long as you are somewhat balanced. Unless its egregiously bad, I think "bad" bet sizing is usually one of the least important leaks in most people's games.

I was referring to the turn but I think you're right here, I'd def be sizing down in a 3bet pot and perhaps ought to when getting shallower also.

Brutal. I usually just ship it here because people these days love to just snap off 3bets. Don't think the 3bet is bad by any means, just probably not what I do (but I am by no means a great player.)

edit: the more I think about it the less sure I am of whether I like shove or 3bet. 3bet might be more optimal, but its just such a shitty spot a huge percentage of the time that he does call.

It's funny to look at eh lol got to love these guys. Yeah I feel like I'm just slightly too deep to just rip it, a few less bb and I'd be ripping pre for sure. Not really sure theres any other way to play the flop with this SPR...QJs has to be in villains calling range but that can't be all. Not like I can fold and checking seems pointless.

Originally Posted by cage View Post

Turn off chat on whatever site you be playing on - say nothing to anyone, I used to tilt hard with the trash talk - bans on chatting etc. but when I left it alone I found it easier to concentrate and I got rid of a lot of tilt problems.

Lol bro I actually got banned from an entire site permanently forever for chat related breaches. It was absolutely rat shit, particularly because I know for a fact that this site does not ban people that are openly colluding for anywhere near that long. But lol though I kind of laugh about it. That said you're definitely right, also turning off Skype helps. Unfortunately my recent tilt spew was due to tilting from non poker related things off the table. I'd been making a lot of money playing poker so definitely wasn't that that put me on tilt.

This is where having ADHD can be quite bad...I either hyperfocus on a large number of tables, or I get very easily distracted/inattentive to what's going on. When the first happens I tend to make quite a bit of money, when the latter happens I tend to lose. If only they'd give me stronger pills!

14. Quick midday update:

Should have mentioned before I actually bust my stars roll right down to $0. I happened to have about 270 stars coin so I bought a $1.10 ticket, a $0.55 ticket and a .25 spin & go ticket. Jumped in the $0.55 and $1.10 bountys and have kncoked out a couple of people, and busto in the spin & go

Roll on other site is down to $371 at the moment and still have a few gamnes going. GLGLGL

I'm really not happy to get in over 40bb preflop with A5s, you don't think it's fine to 4bet fold and leave myself with over 30bb to play with? I suppose I'm going to have 30% against almost everything villain jams though so perhaps you're right I haven't done the math here so I'll go do that now. It just doesn't seem helpful to get in 40bb effective pre with A5s when I can fold and leave myself with over 30bb playable stack.

I think it's tough for villain to call for the same reason, flop SPR will be <1, and they're 3betting with air quite a lot here.

If he shoves you have a +cEV call, even against very tight ranges. If there is any chance he could be making a move then this is close to a snap call (cEV wise) if he shoves after you 4bet.

And I kinda feel the opposite regarding his ability to flat the 4bet. He is getting nearly 3 to 1 on the call preflop, and with a pot sized bet behind in position, its not hard for him to play pretty perfectly against you. It is almost certainly correct for him to flat a lot of stuff, and then call a shove if he connects with anything reasonable, or bet anything reasonable if you check. Yeah sometimes he hits weak like bottom pair and you can shove him off of it, and sometimes you hit huge and check, but overall this just seems like a good spot for him to take a flop and there is nothing you can do to prevent him from playing it well postflop if he assumes you can be light.

I'd have to look at it a bit more and think some lines through but it just seems like a pretty decent spot for him if he assumes you can do this light sometimes. It is also pretty fair to assume its going to be light. I doubt you do this with hands like AK or AQ, as they will certainly want to commit bigger. Maybe you can have a huge hand like AA or KK but I think most players are too scared of being flatted to do that with those hands at these stakes, so its fair to assume that he is thinking that of you if he doesn't have a lot of history with you.

As for the logic of "If I fold I have a lot of chips left". I think it is valid but only to a certain point. I wouldn't get in the habit of folding hands when you have a mathematical edge and its early enough that ICM isn't a huge factor most likely. I think folding a very tiny +cEV edge is good when the field is weak and you have chips, but this is only a very tiny edge if he is never getting out of line. If he is 3betting a lot then this is a pretty large +cEV play to shove. If you make this 4bet and he shoves, it is a pretty large +cEV call if he does it light ever. So yeah overall, I don't like the plan of 4bet/folding.

If the choice is jamming or folding to the 3bet would you rather fold?

If he is 3betting a lot then I like jam a lot more than fold.
    Edited By: threeven Jul 1st, 2017 at 02:38 AM
    Add threeven to Rail

If he shoves you have a +cEV call, even against very tight ranges. If there is any chance he could be making a move then this is close to a snap call (cEV wise) if he shoves after you 4bet.

Cheers bro, I need to look at these spots and learn what I am doing. If I'm winning without knowing these sorts of things my win rate ought to be beautiful after sorting that out.

Maybe you can have a huge hand like AA or KK but I think most players are too scared of being flatted to do that with those hands at these stakes, so its fair to assume that he is thinking that of you if he doesn't have a lot of history with you.

Should anyone be scared of being flatted with AA/KK? I think the reason I'd not do it with AA KK would be because it looks too strong, I'd rather let it rip and look like AQ AK. Perhaps I'm leveling myself way too much by thinking villain will be thinking like this too.

What ought to be villains range when they do jam over my 4bet? I look pretty committed, so I would have thought their jam range would be fairly narrow seeing as I'm not going to fold very often presumably. How narrow would villain need to be to make it okay to 4bet fold?

17. Roll dropped to $250 and then won an mtt for $250, back up to $500 total and slipped to about $440 today.

On another note! Can anybody send me stars $ in exchange for 888? I don't play there but can get the misses to ship. Wouldn't mind just $12 to play the sunday storm. Anyone?

Should anyone be scared of being flatted with AA/KK? I think the reason I'd not do it with AA KK would be because it looks too strong, I'd rather let it rip and look like AQ AK. Perhaps I'm leveling myself way too much by thinking villain will be thinking like this too.

Nah they shouldn't be, but a lot of bad players at these stakes are. Or maybe not even so much that they are scared as much as they don't want to play weird flops. I dunno I just feel like most people in lowstakes tournaments are just going to try and get AA and KK in usually. I might be the one leveling myself here though.

What ought to be villains range when they do jam over my 4bet? I look pretty committed, so I would have thought their jam range would be fairly narrow seeing as I'm not going to fold very often presumably. How narrow would villain need to be to make it okay to 4bet fold?

If their jam range is only AA, KK, AK and QQ then it is still right on the borderline of a call. You need like 30% equity to make it a +cEV call. You are 29.3% against that range. If they are even a little lighter it goes above 30%. If they ever shove things like KQ then it goes up above 35% and you should be snapping it off for sure. Not to mention if they ever do it with things like suited connectors as a bluff sometimes then it becomes a no brainer.

edit: If you don't have it already download pokerstrategy equilab. Free range vs range calculator.
    Edited By: threeven Jul 2nd, 2017 at 09:17 PM
    Add threeven to Rail
    Originally Posted by threeven View Post

edit: If you don't have it already download pokerstrategy equilab. Free range vs range calculator.

I've downloaded several of these the only one I use is the one built into pokertracker 4 for simplicity.

Wouldn't mind being shown how to use tyhe others though...I paid for CrEV and that wasn't cheap but ended up giving up on it after a few days of not being able to get it to work. Some people can't figure out how I can't do it...But if someone can just show me that'd be wonderful.

20. So yesterday I played what was basically a 24 hour session with very little break time. Then I studied elite RIO videos until I fell asleep at the computer. Got up not long before 11am and then had an hour hh review session with coach. I am now watching more elite RIO videos.

I'm beginning to think I should do poker more like a fight...Train all week, studying, for the fight on Sunday, when I'll play the juicy Sunday games.

I'm fairly certain I Won't be able to help myself but play before that, but I'm going to try and spend more time studying per week than I do playing for the next month. I want to understand as many spots, situations, exploits, everything that I can by the end of this month. If it's working well I'll extend it and might just make it an ongoing thing...We'll see what happens.

Back to studying now, and I probably will play some games in a few hours as I am feeling hungry for it already.

GLGLGL! Fuck the world I will destroy everything.

21. Had a few deep runs but nothing big so far, feel like I'm playing better already after all that study. Indeed couldn't help but play some games.

Still going but heres some hands:

https://www.boomplayer.com/24542144_2CF3243265

http://www.pokerhandreplays.com/view.php/id/8384711

http://www.pokerhandreplays.com/view.php/id/8384712

http://www.pokerhandreplays.com/view.php/id/8384704

22. Alright so a couple of things...I gave up on the not depositing, won some funds lost some funds etc.. So I'll be starting with a new roll total of

$360.62 (ipoker)
    $52.49 (party)
    $238.21 (ACR)
    $221.54 (Stars)
    $154.46 (other)

For a total of: 360.62 + 52.49 + 238.21 + 221.54 + 154.46 = $1027.32

So basically I'll be trying to do the $1000 - $10,000 thing again! Either that or I might just busto the lot...Either way should be fun and entertaining. Getting some deep runs and feeling confident that some nice binks are on their way.

Second - I seem to have managed to stop the gaping spew hole that was leaking money. Have replaced it with some nice steady break evenish running, which is perfect really while waiting for the binks to come in:

GLGLGLLGL

23. Good Luck, i'm rootin for ya! I'm in kind of the same position. Win big, spew it all way, begin from square 1 again. Here's to big wins and great BRM!

Add 4Aces1King1 to Rail
  24. Cheers bro appreciate it! Had some nice runs yesterday but a tonne of run bad late game, ended up a pretty nasty losing session.

I'm just starting up a session now, bankroll to start the day today:

ipoker - $335.89
    party - $52.49
    stars - $143.72
    ACR - $133.81
    other - $23.90

Total - $689.81

GLGLGLGLGL

25. GLGL
    Add wackyJaxon to Rail
  26. Cheers bro, gl is all I need to turn this in the right direction hopefully!

I just played this hand, played post exploitatively against a recreational player who was bluffing way too much (imo) and had bet sizing tells (either that or I was imagining these, and the result was mere coincidence, I guess we'll never know...).

I was going to rip preflop, the open limper in ep was VPIPing around 46% over a smallish sample of hands. I had seen him limp call off before and figured that, given the hands he was limp calling me with, I wouldn't be doing particularly great with QTs. Perhaps that's irrelevant if villain is folding enough, but I didn't feel I had a tonne of fold equity here and had great odds to call with a hand that flops well. I was still considering it but time bank was already at zero, and I opted to overlimp rather than time out.

My question is:
    Should I just bomb the turn, or is the smaller sizing better here? I decided it ought to look stronger to a player who I felt was paying attention to the table dynamics. But it became quite finnicky trying to bet a decent sizing on the turn that would leave me with any fold equity to shove on river bricks...Even using the small turn size that I did, the river bet was still pretty awful because I imagine villain is calling with virtually any made hand there. Is bombing turn the way to go >99% of the time here?

https://www.boomplayer.com/24640005_F1194FE68A

Break time now then time to win this mofo. GLGL!
    Edited By: CheapTorque Jul 21st, 2017 at 06:00 AM

27. http://www.boomplayer.com/en/poker-h...050_E7E8BE93AE

Dodging bullets like a mongoose :| maybe its a sign?!

28. And this one I misclicked preflop....They're going to think I'm a donkey

https://www.boomplayer.com/24640055_A6A204B94B

29. Yikes this preetty much sums up the last couple of days:

https://www.boomplayer.com/24640414_9C30FAE017

https://www.boomplayer.com/24639355_6E36215634

https://www.boomplayer.com/24636059_6775C1B94B

https://www.boomplayer.com/24630345_288F13E129

And some hero call to make us happy again:

http://www.pokerhandreplays.com/view.php/id/8396074

So I've just finished throwing my toys out of the cot, and spitting my dummy. Time to grind the night away, lets fucking get this!

30. Just to update for today, busted my rolls on every site except for stars and ipoker, where I have a bit over $600 total remaining. I'm playing today, sunday storm, phase 2, and 25k gtd 50 euro game on ipoker, mini sunday million, bunch of others.

Few hands from the session today:

http://www.boomplayer.com/en/poker-h...945_B05E4C0378
    should I ever laed river here? Felt never get called by worse and villain 3barrle bluffs a lot here

https://www.boomplayer.com/24667024_E0CC90E448
    daily quads with accidental slow roll busy on other table lol

http://www.boomplayer.com/en/poker-h...431_CB71E0F5F7
    bink!

And I like what Girafganger7 was doing with his rail thread over on the other forum a couple of years back, so I'm going to start posting some songs each day I update & play. GLGLGL!

Also seriously considering applying to join Pocarr...If Girafganger7 can join Pocarr and study hard to get those results, I want to try and follow in his footsteps. I've always admired that guy as a player because I find him so difficult to play against and always see him at any late stage juicy game i happen to get deep in. So yeah thinking about that.

Did a bunch of work with equity calculator last night, and found out some very interesting things! Thanks to threeven for suggesting it, glad I finally went and did it.

Anyone got good suggestions for RIO videos to watch? The good ones seem to be hard to find and limited, and theres a few really awful ones that I just don't feel are helpful. Suggestions welcome.

http://www.boomplayer.com/en/poker-h...945_B05E4C0378
    should I ever laed river here? Felt never get called by worse and villain 3barrle bluffs a lot here

https://www.boomplayer.com/24667024_E0CC90E448
    daily quads with accidental slow roll busy on other table lol

http://www.boomplayer.com/en/poker-h...431_CB71E0F5F7
    bink!

Lets go! GLGLGLGL