1. Okay, a few folks have asked me for the details on the prop bet I made with Antonio Esfandiari during the WSOP so I figured I’d put it here and let you guys ask any questions you might have.

The Bet

Antonio Esfandiari offered me an $8,000 freeroll that I couldn’t wear the same dress shirt for exactly one year. I accepted.

How

About 30 players from the money in the 2016 WSOP Main Event, I was standing with Donnie Peters and Remko Rinkema of PokerNews covering the play leading up to the bubble. Antonio was being rather talkative and as he’s prone to do, sitting in his chair barefoot. Somehow the conversation turned to the fur-lined Gucci slippers he wore to the Rio that day. (Note: they’re pretty awful) I asked him how much he’d pay me to wear them for a year and he told me I couldn’t “pull off the look” (I don’t disagree). He then asked me how much for me to wear the dress shirt I was wearing for one year.

Now, for background, Donnie Peters had a bet like this with Antonio and Jason Mercier a few years ago that he couldn’t cut his hair for 18 months. His price was $5,000. He accepted and won.

At this point I knew two things: 1) Antonio wasn’t accepting my first bid 2) He would likely balk at any further negotiation off of his price and I’d be left with $0.

I wanted $10,000 - that was the number that was in my head, but knowing #1 above, I asked for $15,000. Antonio said that was “too rich” and I told him to counter the offer. He came back with $8,000. It was lighter than I expected but close enough to what I wanted that I wasn’t going to lose an $8,000 freeroll over the $2,000 difference. I snap-accepted. Antonio told the table he would have gone as high as $10,000. I don’t think he would have.

What

The shirt is a dress shirt. I’ve had it for about a year or so.

Why

It’s a freeroll. If I fail to pull it off, I’m just the guy who lost out on a free $8,000.

When

The bet was made on July 14, 2016. I have to wear it until July 14, 2017.

The Ground Rules

These are important, and a big reason why I felt like I’m a massive favorite in the bet.

1. I only have to wear the shirt when I’m outside of my house. (the one exception being when I’m swimming, but I do have to wear the shirt at the pool if I’m not in the pool). I work - for the most part - from home. If I was in an office five days a week with a commute, no chance I do this bet (or at least, for “just” $8,000).

2. Yes. I can wash it. My biggest concern is that the shirt might not last the full year. I’ve done some reading on best ways to take care of the shirt and make sure I get 365 days out of it. So I’m relatively confident I’ll make it.

3. I like the shirt so it’s not going to bother me to have to wear it.

4. No, I can’t go buy a bunch of the same shirt and wear that. Antonio signed the inside of the collar to make sure that it’s THE shirt. Also worth noting, the company that made the shirt is no longer in business.

5. How will Antonio know I’m wearing it? Well, I’ve known him for 10 years (he was one of our columnists when I ran BLUFF) and I’m pretty sure he trusts me. I’m posting regular updates on Twitter. (Follow me @Lance_Bradley)

Attached Images

Add Lance to Rail
  2. Haha, awesome!

Good luck with the bet!
    Add wackyJaxon to Rail
  3. sounds fun

Add ronnieb122 to Rail
  4. These prop bets are stupid and not cool. They're done by people with money to waste. That $8K could be given to charity instead of a certainly-not-poor-person like yourself. People are going hungry right here in America. And it was a bad bet anyway. A guy like you would probably do it for much less.
    Edited By: bd199 Aug 2nd, 2016 at 09:14 PM
    Add bd199 to Rail
  5. What's wrong with having a little fun?
    Add wackyJaxon to Rail
  6. Everybody's entitled to have their take. How Antonio (or anybody for that matter) spends their own money really is only up to them. Was more than happy to take the challenge and have some fun in the process.

Though, I'm curious what you mean by "a guy like you".

Thread StarterAdd Lance to Rail
    Originally Posted by Lance View Post

Everybody's entitled to have their take.

I really appreciate your tolerance for differing perspectives here and respect for freedom of speech. I think it's extremely important and cannot be taken for granted in these days of 'safe spaces' and 'triggering'.
    Edited By: bd199 Aug 3rd, 2016 at 01:07 AM
    Add bd199 to Rail
  8. Was so funny; had read about the prop at the time it occurred in the WSOP coverage, but was wondering if it was still on since I had read a few WSOP articles by Lance and there was no mention of it. Glad to see that the prop is still on; gl Lance!
    Add mikewebb68 to Rail
  9. Sit down Bd

Add Teamfckyrlyfe to Rail
  10. Love this. Actually just asked my wife today if she thought the shirt could survive 300 or so washes. She thinks it can. I have faith in ya buddy! Good luck!
    Add killingbird to Rail
  11. LOL that you think I'm washing it 300 times sir ... That's what Febreeze is for my friend. It *might* get washed 50 times.

Originally Posted by Lance View Post

Though, I'm curious what you mean by "a guy like you".

lol....this was the part that got me. He means Canadian, obv.

Add Adam to Rail
  13. And yes, as Antonio pointed out on Twitter earlier tonight - there is one more condition to the bet that I had forgot to mention:

I have to wear the shirt if anybody other than my wife and daughter come to our house.

14. Sounds fun, GL!

Add Appst08 to Rail
  15. You guys are stoopid. I think a white t from a Marshall's 3 pack would last couple thousand trips thru the laundry. I might no about that type of thing

With or without franks hot sauce stains
    Edited By: URI_Stunna Aug 9th, 2016 at 09:49 AM
    Reason: Might need to wash that bird 5 times in one night before its presentable for public viewing
    Add URI_Stunna to Rail
  16. I wish some cool rich guy would make a prop bet like this with me so I can pay off some student loans!! =)
    Add ChameleoN89 to Rail
  17. If you can wash the shirt the bet is easy... Congrats on your free moneyz
    Edited By: rungoodgid Aug 10th, 2016 at 02:52 AM

Add rungoodgid to Rail