1. I am weee3eee, from Lexington KY and I am a LabRat. The Upswing Poker Labrat. I want to share my experience with the P5 community. It's a long time coming but I have decided a month and a half ago to move away from MTT and head to the cash tables. My goal is simple to crush the microstakes and park myself in the 50nl games within a year from today.

I am doing this mainly due to me being a family guy that doesn't have time playing MTT games. I work full-time, i have a wonderful wife that I have the opportunity to mate with and I have 3 children that we fostered to adopt so they are all my first priority. The issues with MTT for me is that I can't fit sessions in my daily life.

I decided to move to cash games. Over the month and a half, I find out that I am not a winning player at cash or mtts. Honesty set in. I decided then that I have three options, do i fold this poker thing completely or do I just keep floating as a fish or do I need to dive down deep and really go deep in learning and growing as a poker player so I decided to dive down deep and so I joined Upswing's poker, The Lab.

Doug Polk and Ryan Fee are doing something right in poker. They both have been around the block a time or two and willing to teach the strategy they both use at the poker table and lay things out in a logical manner. I officially love the Upswing Poker's lab.

The sessions are broken up in module form which allows for the opportunity to really dive into thick in concepts. The lab isn't just a bunch of videos that you sort through from a score of instructors, It really is just Doug and Ryan that teach the modules. It's one type of strategy and it's simple to follow. I love the setup of it.

Last week, I decided that I would study ONLY. I need to erase my fishy ways of poker. I want to be logical. I have decided that I develop a realistic goal for me. I want to be a winning player that raises up to 50nl and heading toward 100nl. Yeah, I can head straight to 100nl and throw a 10k into much and just grind away but I thought, hmm, what if I can just start from the beginning and work my way up. It would be a growing experience for me and allow it to come with strategy.

I am a week in and went through the PreFlop module and working through the post flop module. I hadn't played a hand in poker but I am loving the learning process. I have received a huge value with the closed Upswing poker facebook group. I am following the concepts and starting to flow into the strategies well. I said in the facebook group that I am going to blog about it and so I chose my favorite forum to write about it. So here it is. Gang, I do this so that I can keep myself on track with my goals and some accountability. I also want to post to be able to let others who love poker but struggle like I had been for years that you can apply yourself and really begin to think like a winning player. I hope you all enjoy these posts.

So here is the goal for my Cash games.

Beginning Bankroll- $200
    5nl - 10k hands minimum show profit and get to $300 then move to 10nl
    10nl - 10k hands min show profit and get up to $700 then move to 25nl
    25nl - 10k hands min show profit and get up to 1500 then move to 50 nl
    50nl - 10k hands min show profit and get up to 3000 then move to 100nl

100nl drop to 50nl if below 2500
    50nl drop to 25nl if below 1250
    25nl to 10nl if below 625
    10nl to 5nl if below 250
    Edited By: whitelextown Jun 3rd, 2017 at 04:59 PM
    Reason: adding goals
    Add whitelextown to Rail
  2. Good Luck on the Mission!! To help you on your mission make sure to check in with the community on some sort of consistent basis. For instance provide an update once a week or 2x a month, whatever you prefer. But it will help you stay accountable to the decisions you are making because it won't just be you battling the tables on your own. All Goals can be Achieved with Educated Perseverance!
    Add DaddyDuck to Rail
  3. Thanks. I appreciate your feedback. I plan on making a post at minimum of every week as I grow in the game. Mostly for accountability and documenting growth.
    Thread StarterAdd whitelextown to Rail
  4. I did get through the entire week of being in the Upswing Poker lab. I studied a good 2 to 3 hours daily through the week. I started the grind yesterday and today. I decided that I was going to start my bankroll of 200 and actually begin in the 2nl game. I did this for it is like sleeping on a different mattress than I am used to. It feels like a new pillow and a mattress. I figure well, i will start at 2nl and work up through the ranks.

Yesterday, I put in an hour session with 6 tables and i was up 33bb/100 and today, i went 4 tables for the hour and I went -66/100. So it's a bit swingy for now. I feel ok actually. I am just not sleeping too well. I need to make some adjustments. I am sleeping on a firm pillow and a mattress and getting the kinks worked out. This is exactly why I decided to hit the 2nl tables.

I have decided that I am going to play at minimum of 10nl of 2nl hands before moving up to the next stake. I do this so that I can work out the quirks. I think that I am feeling well to understand the complexities of the Lab but the majority of the games I am working in majority of the year is going to be from 2nl - 25nl through the time and so I need to understand the Lab concepts playing in the micro stakes.

Beginning Bankroll- $200
    Remaining Bankroll - $198

2nl - 1052 hands / 10K -7.22 BB/100

10nl to 5nl if below 250
    Edited By: whitelextown Jun 6th, 2017 at 03:16 AM
  5. Hmm, I would leave 2nl alone. Start at 5nl or 10nl. Even if you have to save up more money for a better bankroll. But 2nl is a very very steep hill to climb with rake and bots. I assume you are doing this on ACR. If so, then even more reason to start at 5NL or 10NL. You want to put yourself in a position where you are make something from Rakeback or the Elite rewards. GL
    Add DaddyDuck to Rail
  6. Good point. It would be steep hill climb and it would be easier to set the course. I think the whole point for me now is getting the concepts and strategy adjusted in 2nl before moving up. I am not so worried about losing 2nl as I am feeling comfortable with ranges and postflop strat going through for now. It's small, i know and I get it. The goal isn't to be results oriented. I think the strat of 2nl is to get the 10K hands in and proceed further with Upswing Strat from there. I am -7.22 bb/100 which isn't much of a loser at this point with a very small sample size. There are kinks in the game and resonating with the strategy element. I am focusing on like how many tables I am comfortable with, etc. Am i good with 6 or 8 tables. Once I am more comfortable in my decisions, than i will blow through 2nl pretty quickly i think. !0k isn't that many hands and I will get in my overall strat and be comfortable as I move up. I am not comfortable yet to move into the 5nl or the 10nl with the new strat. The Upswing strat I think and hope will work with all levels going up.
  7. Fair enough, I just caution that, especially on US sites, 2NL is going to be extremely difficult to beat, and may not even be the same game as 5NL or greater.

Put it this way at the 2NL level the full game of poker which involves bluff lines to balance your value lines sort of gets dramatically reduced (most of the time you will need the best hand) and you are playing against many more bots (which regardless of if you can beat them or not are severely cutting into your potential gains). Then combine that with an insignificant amount of rakeback for your efforts and you will see that the $60 loss pales beyond imagine in comparison to the time wasted playing a level that truly isn't helping your poker game.

"Your time is valuable". Read and study the game, get a part time job to boost the Bankroll, and play in a level that will have meaning.
    Add DaddyDuck to Rail
  8. I totally see the point for sure. It makes sense. I have gone back and forth with it and your point is valid. I do have a rqkeback on black chip which would provide a bit of a buffer. Maybe head right into the 5nl. I should see any form of my strategy shine more in between 5nl and the 10nl. You are also correct? If I am winning at 2bb/100 hand in 2nl vs 2bb/100 in 10nl, its a huge difference 4sure, and my rqkeback won't be coke machine change.

I really do appreciate the feedback. Tonight's grind??? Well I will jump to 5nl. I mean to be honest.... I normally donkey tilt in the 25nl and 50nl and waited until I got hooked.

I have 198 in my roll and it should be fine in 5nl and have some wiggle room with my rqkeback included. I also can deposit more if I need to. Poker isn't my main source of income so I am alright.
  9. I like it Grind 5NL. you will feel better here. Even if you are marginally losing you could be making $$ from the rakeback.
    Add DaddyDuck to Rail
    Originally Posted by DaddyDuck View Post

Hmm, I would leave 2nl alone. Start at 5nl or 10nl. Even if you have to save up more money for a better bankroll. But 2nl is a very very steep hill to climb with rake and bots. I assume you are doing this on ACR. If so, then even more reason to start at 5NL or 10NL. You want to put yourself in a position where you are make something from Rakeback or the Elite rewards. GL

Yeah the RAKE and BOTS are the pits look out!

Add jaybizzle3 to Rail
  11. The week of playing has commenced. I would love to report all the positive stuff about poker but I think it's a diservice to say that all is great and wonderful. This VLOG I hope will become inspiring for you as a poker player. I am a realist and I want to share the real truth.

This week has been a roller coaster ride. I love the ride. The ups AND the downs. I will just start with the hard data and then work the thought process from there.

Beginning Bankroll- $200
    Remaining Bankroll - $194.92

5nl - 1205 hands / 10K -16.96 bb/100

10nl to 5nl if below 250

I am losing but it's still a very small sample yet. I am getting more familiar with my RFI ranges for I may have a handful (less than 10 hands) that when I observe my hands for the week that my RFI is on point. I have re-evaluated and those that are in RFI by position, I am now not thinking too much if I was right or wrong.

The hangups I have experienced is facing RFI. In microstakes games like 5nl, it's common for opens that are quite wide in early position. I am sensing as I explore the tendencies of opponents especially in early position, they are more comfortable to opening in Early position vs calling or Re raising in late position. In sensing this, it's not as much strength but aggression. So this is an adjustment for me. People in 5nl didn't open the games up just to fold in early position. They are the first to act and they feel they are strongest and feel in control if they are the first to act. This is a struggle and realized that I am not 3betting as much against those folks. This week, I saw a whole lot of calling facing RFI than I should be 3 betting more. So I lost a lot by floating bets.

The other issue I am having is facing 3 bets, it's not common in the game to be 3bet on to be honest as I will get higher in stakes, it would be more of a common place to face these 3bets.

Now I am about to do is very vulnerable to me and always have been vulnerable is sharing my hands to the group. I don't do this at all. I just feel like this is an exposing the obvious but I know that this is the fight that I need to just battle over. It's seeing where my thought process is resonating to a group in the Lab. I am dedicated to get better and I know this has got to be done. I am often afraid of being wrong all the time. Now, I just need to sense my wrong play and learn from what I did wrong and get it right.

Here is my overall charts for those that like charts and graphs and I will share it openly with you guys. Here is my chart for the week as I started the lab. It's what I called the honest chart. It's what keeps me accountable. Its the real chart of a struggling poker player.

https://gyazo.com/614baceb61a95cab65086cd9db4ff3f5

I am going to attempt to do a weekly blogpost. I will be happy to answer questions throughout the week but mainly update the community as I keep progressing further. It looks like I need to flip this graph over it's head and make it look a little better but I feel confident that this will turn around.
  12. Don't get discouraged yet. That is why you want to have a significant bankroll for your mission. Now since you are tracking your hands, you want to make sure you are taking a day each week to go over your hands.

You need to take a look at your stats, but also the hands where you are losing and winning money. The majority of your profit should be coming from In Position and from your big hands. If not, what is going wrong? How are you playing them, are you calling too many streets, are you not isolating, are you folding too much? In terms of fundamentals you want to start figuring out those components and then you can advance into how you should play against certain players/ how are they playing against you (that will be where the real money comes from as you move up), but first you need to make $ purely from solid fundamentals.
    Add DaddyDuck to Rail
  13. As much as polk makes me want to puke, good luck to you in your challenge!

Add CheapTorque to Rail
  14. This week has been a very light week for me. I started a new job so I didn't get to do too much poker. I did in fact share my first hand in the lab. When I am having a light poker week, I don't negate the opportunity to at least at minimum, look over past hands. I shared my hand with the Lab facebook group and instantly got replies to the line and was very interesting to say the least for me. The hand is as follows.

I learned a lot from the comments on the line I took in this particular hand. If I looked at this hand in my previous experience as a poker player, my line on the hand would have been RRRF and would 1/2 pot the whole time. The really cool thing about this hand is that the butcher wasn't so bad up until the river, I now know that I should have just flat the River for I didn't have anything better than my hand that is willing to fold out their hand in this situatlon. If I had a diamond, then maybe would warrent a reraise on the river, but I was repping the very top of my range and looking back, the story just didn't cut it for this player. The A on the turn wasn't a good card for me. BB could very well have an Ax type hand or middling diamond flush made. I really don't know for I folded. Is it a butcher? I do believe so it was but I think the knife of my butchered hand is become abit more duller.

Since the lab, my range is a lot clearer than what I had before. My range by position is more balanced as it wasn't that way before. I am finding myself that I thought were difficult spots much easier to do which I think that is the value of the Lab. It allows for in game thought to be clear and concise and then it allows for more brain gap to think of higher level thinking.

This next week, I am going to be doing some range building exercise by position. Sunday is RFI /Face RFI / Facing 3b just in the EP / UTG range. I will be committing to memory the ranges I have (Already on the RFI but need Face RFI and face 3b). I am thinking on just doing the entire week on EP/UTG for study. I am not good at committing things to memory but my approach is going to be the following.

Powerpoint slide and print it out and flash card it.
    Go through my hand history and filter all my UTG hands and cross check it with the range in several situations.
    apply the hand and share with the facebook group in Upswing
    I will further evaluate my hands over the next two weeks.

So as you will see with my numbers at the bottom, i just had to take a break. Had a lot of things going on with new job and running kids here and there, etc so not much grind this week but as promised, I still want to keep up this blog for everyone.

Beginning Bankroll- $200
    Remaining Bankroll - $205

5nl - 2500 hands / 10K -9.45 bb/100 (bb is finally starting to turn the other way, still not a winner yet but sample is still small)

10nl to 5nl if below 250
  15. Did Upswing teach you to make this play or have you been watching Doug Polk play poker? There are multiple reasons why this play was bad:

- You are trying a sophisticated bluff line in a .05 game
    - If you had top set or 2 pair on the flop, why would you check back the turn when a flush draw and trips presents itself? If that was the line you were planning to rep then you have to bet the turn. If you had bet the turn villain probably would have raised you then... or called again and it would have made your river decision very clear.
    - You need to recognize unfavorable positions for bluffing. This is 1 of them. Villain leads out on river for 3/4 pot. Without any reads or tells on him, this is typically the line for value because he is worried you won't bet since you checked back turn. He/she is hoping that you will make a call with a flush.
    - The types of hands you want to be holding to make that river raise play would be 109 or 67. Reason being you rule out some of your villain's boat outs and it's more likely they have an A or 10, but at this stake level there is still a high level chance that you would get called by all trips or flushes. I think you would have a hard time getting those hands to fold here.
    - Now the good news. Make sure you have made a note in your poker tracker for the player you tried this line against (in the ideal world you made a note for everyone at the table). He will possibly remember that you did this before and could play back at you in future hands. So you will meet again, you want to make sure to duplicate this same line.. "with the goods" He will pay you off.
    Add DaddyDuck to Rail
  16. Updates?

Add CheapTorque to Rail