1. Over the past couple years, there's been a few major changes to the online MTT landscape. One is the emergence of the reentry format across many of the major online poker sites. The second is the growth of the highstakes reentry MTT scene, especially on Party Poker. I'll expand a little bit below, but together I think in some ways it skews the P5 Rankings, a ranking system calculated solely on a players largest 40 cashes.

Several years ago I don't remember many sites having reentry, IIRC. But reentry is ubiquitous now. On PartyPoker I believe most every tournament is reentry. On 888 many tournaments are reentry, but especially the highstakes tournaments. Even Pokerstars has made the Sunday Million reentry and incorporated reentry in some of their "prestigious" COOP events including their Main Event. WinningPokerNetwork/ACR and Winamax are entirely reentry. Ipoker is reentry, Merge is reentry. You get the point.

Players play reentries different ways. Some regs fire their 1 shot and only if the bust immediately do they ever fire a 2nd bullet. Other regs max register until the very end, even if their ROI on those bullets are marginal or even negative. Other regs have the bankroll to fire multiple reentries but still don't want to reenter a 530 with 15bb for whatever reason. In 2017, reentering a $530 with 15bb or less is very standard, especially on PartyPoker.

Which speaking of PartyPoker, has really changed the highstakes scene for those not aware. It's exciting but here are the numbers. There are two daily 530 reentries now. On Sundays there are three 215 reentries, two 530 reentries, and one 5200 reentry. During series time now in September, there are three daily 530 reentries. And Sundays have...four 530 reentries and two 5200 reentries, and since it's series time a special sunday 10k reentry or a 25k reentry. And many regs are reentering til the last minute....regs are loading 20k onto their Party accounts Saturday night and blowing through all 20k by Sunday night. And that's if they're skipping the special superhighroller events. As for the other sites briefly, 888 has a sunday 1k reentry, during series time a 2k and 5k reentry. Pokerstars has 530s, 1k reentry, 2k reentry, 5k, 10k, 25k reentry events this month. WinningPoker networks BOSS series has many 540s-2ks that are all reentry.

Which goes to the crux of the matter, which is just that rankings are more of a reflection of someone's bankroll (or bankroll idiocy) than it ever was before. How many guys ranked high in top 300 pocketfives spots have big Partypoker scores for P5s but still down lifetime 100k or 200k on their PartyPoker account? Way more than I had realized before. A mediocre reg (or even a really bad reg) max reentering 215s, 530s, 5200s is just going to be ranked way higher than a better player who is more cautious. I understand a system based on ROI has its flaws and is intrusive to player privacy, so I am not advocating that type of ranking system. But the fact that everything in 2017 is reentry really skews the rankings, because some regs have 2x or 3x the entries as other regs to try to get a big score for the rankings. The barrier to entry so-to-speak has become tougher...if you're not prepared to go on massive 6 figure bankroll swings re-entering 1ks with 15BB it really makes it much much tougher to be ranked high on pocketfives. Merely wanted to point out that this is the environment the ranking system is operating under today. And I don't have a better idea, which is why I'm just posting the reality, because maybe someone out there has suggestions or thoughts on the matter. Cheers.

Cliffs: Industry-wide adoption of online reentry MTT tournaments in recent years, especially highroller reentry MTTs, have given massive re-entering, massively bankrolled regs an advantage in the PocketFives Rankings
    Add norfair18 to Rail
  2. I agree with you. While the ranking has always been somewhat skewed to the player with the higher bankroll, because he could enter in higher buy-in tournaments; I would say that it is skewed now more than ever given that all the sites have reentry.
    Add dixiecrat88 to Rail
  3. agree with you guys
    Add samui to Rail