What's good about paying for P5's training?
  1. I'm considering paying the yearly fee for P5's training so want some feedback from anyone who's already got it.

I've found watching HH's on youtube (gripsed) really helpful and the "winning poker tournament's one hand at a time" series also.

I've had a brief look at the 'training forums' but don't really know what I'm looking at. Cheat sheets? Are these unexploitable ranges based on finite circumstances?

Also I'm thinking about signing up to VT poker training because I noticed that pearljammer is instructing for them. Anyone got any thoughts on what they have to offer and general direction how to take my game to the next level.

Cheers. GL.

Add rungoodgid to Rail
  2. Why not just pay monthly for a while and see what you think. You can get in or out anytime. You don't have to commit to a year. I'm sitting out right now but I'm sure I'll sign up again. Also, since you are not stuck playing the trash sites we have to play here, keep an eye out for free memberships. P5s offers them all the time.
    Add G2thV to Rail
  3. Didn't know that I could just pay month by month... so it's a direct debit with no contract kind of thing?

What's VT poker like?

Thread StarterAdd rungoodgid to Rail
  4. Yup, you can cancel any time! But I'm telling you it's good stuff. Great videos from a really good stable of instructors. The more I watch them the better I get and the more fun I have playing, no doubt. I just got out but I know I'll have some down time to watch in December so I'll sign in again.

The only thing I know about VT is it's expensive, but probably worth it.

btw, I actually got started with a free 3 months membership I won on HWP (a free US site). Liked it so much have been paying for it since then.
    Edited By: G2thV Nov 16th, 2013 at 05:05 PM
    Add G2thV to Rail
  5. I just watched a VT video last night (sample video on youtube) and I was very impressed with PearlJammer's teaching. Also, Pokernerve.com is pretty good too. I'm not sure how many videos they post, but I've been watching some free training videos from Kelvin "AcesUp" Beattie and he is an absolute sicko. I've learned a ton already by watching only two of his HH reviews.

Like I said though, I'm not sure how much is on the site that you gain access to as a suscriber. I think it's more geared to people just learning how to play, but AcesUp's video's are as good as it gets. He makes this value shove with 33 that makes my head spin.
    Add A_Ewing_AK to Rail
  6. I've never taken the yearly one but have subscribed for monthly and if you seriously want to learn and improve, training vids are the nuts.

Free info on the web are sometimes OK sometimes bad, when you don't have the tools to find out what infos are bad, it can mess up your game a lot and you would need a lot of time to plug this leak.

Again if you really want to step up your game, don't hesitate to invert some money in quality training like P5 training, you will get your money bad sooner than you expect. Training vids have been (and always is) a very powerful tool in my poker arsenal.
    Add Lenail to Rail
    Originally Posted by A_Ewing_AK View Post

I just watched a VT video last night (sample video on youtube) and I was very impressed with PearlJammer's teaching. Also, Pokernerve.com is pretty good too. I'm not sure how many videos they post, but I've been watching some free training videos from Kelvin "AcesUp" Beattie and he is an absolute sicko. I've learned a ton already by watching only two of his HH reviews.

Like I said though, I'm not sure how much is on the site that you gain access to as a suscriber. I think it's more geared to people just learning how to play, but AcesUp's video's are as good as it gets. He makes this value shove with 33 that makes my head spin.

Cheer's... Will look into those guys.

So I'm gathering that "playing well" involves a lot of re-stealing and shoving with wide (profitable vs. estimated CR's) and therefore a lot of heartache when you get snapped and bust with J high.

What do you think about re-steal shoving 16-22bb's AXo from the BB?

Originally Posted by rungoodgid View Post

Didn't know that I could just pay month by month... so it's a direct debit with no contract kind of thing?

What's VT poker like?

PokerVT sucks if that's what you're talking about. I'm actually the forum moderator there and have been a member since 2009. It used to be good and there is some good content but nothing much for the last year or so. Now the only thing they're putting out is 5 to 10 minutes of Daniel analyzing his Asian Pacific (or w/e it's called) WSOP ME win about every other week.

From everyone I've heard from the best is Run it Once but it's really expensive, then Tournament Poker Edge. I'm sure P5s is very good too but I can't speak from experience.
    Edited By: DiamondDixie Nov 17th, 2013 at 05:23 AM

Add DiamondDixie to Rail
  9. I have a membership to PXF and it has helped my game tremendously!!! Better than any book IMO! I make watching training vids a normal routine, and I watch vids just as much if not more than I actually play

EDIT: Not trying to push you towards one training site or another... Just saying that any site that you chose WILL HELP you alot!
    Edited By: kamikazzee63 Nov 18th, 2013 at 05:54 AM
    Add kamikazzee63 to Rail
  10. Pokerxfactor is the way two go they have ape perljam and rizen videos from the book. Check out the site free videos you will thank me later.
    Add jfelto to Rail
    Originally Posted by jfelto View Post

Pokerxfactor is the way two go they have ape perljam and rizen videos from the book. Check out the site free videos you will thank me later.

got a question - Who should we listen to? They seem to be opposing pieces of advice.

1) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJhOOfTnEd0

2) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fbf36cYwR4o

12. Lex got all said in the vids however very good player can do other things to create other dynamics that they master.

Check on USCphildo, he was a very competent player using the limp a lot. I heard that he has a whole strategy with this kind of plays, I cannot say much as I never heard the whole story.

I am not a fan of limping, I only limp (as Lex said) in crazy cash games where 66% of the player always call to see the flop.
    Add Lenail to Rail

Pokerxfactor is the way two go they have ape perljam and rizen videos from the book. Check out the site free videos you will thank me later.

Nevermind, was just going to say mentioning Rizen on any poker forum these days might not be a great idea.
    Edited By: DiamondDixie Nov 19th, 2013 at 02:33 AM

Add DiamondDixie to Rail

PXF has been all down hill since black friday. They are trying to revamp but the site looks even worse. Their roster was full of instuctors who didn't contribute in any way, they did the right thing by releasing all of them. But the line up looks pretty bad now though, ryanghall, rdcrsn, and improved are really the only ones who play regularly....also rdcrsn or improved rarely make videos, i assume there would be some agreement for making vids now though.

P5's doesn't look too appealing to me, never tried it.

TPE looks quite good unless it's like the old PXF where half the people don't contribute.

RIO is the best if you want to spend the money.

Every site will benefit the average player for sure though

Add EricWRX to Rail
    Originally Posted by DiamondDixi View Post

Nevermind, was just going to say mentioning Rizen on any poker forum these days might not be a great idea.

Why that ?? guess I missed something...
    Add Lenail to Rail
    Originally Posted by A_Ewing_AK View Post

I just watched a VT video last night (sample video on youtube) and I was very impressed with PearlJammer's teaching. Also, Pokernerve.com is pretty good too. I'm not sure how many videos they post, but I've been watching some free training videos from Kelvin "AcesUp" Beattie and he is an absolute sicko. I've learned a ton already by watching only two of his HH reviews.

I'm a subscriber to pokernerve.com's "Road to Success" course. Yes, aces_up4108 is a sicko. He seems to ship the $55 rebuy every fkn day. He's an Aussie living in Hokkaido, Japan and just absolutely crushes. I've had a membership for a few months but havent had as much time as I'd like to watch all the videos. I keep on meaning to but its difficult for me. Anyways, I will finish by the end of this year!!!!

I'm not sure of the total amount of videos in the course but I believe its 30-45 or so. From what I've seen so far, the courses value far exceeds the cost. I'm excited to finish and hope to crush like he does. Any other info you want just PM me.
    Add DONKWOOD to Rail
    Originally Posted by rungoodgid View Post

I'm considering paying the yearly fee for P5's training so want some feedback from anyone who's already got it.

I've found watching HH's on youtube (gripsed) really helpful and the "winning poker tournament's one hand at a time" series also.

I've had a brief look at the 'training forums' but don't really know what I'm looking at. Cheat sheets? Are these unexploitable ranges based on finite circumstances?

Also I'm thinking about signing up to VT poker training because I noticed that pearljammer is instructing for them. Anyone got any thoughts on what they have to offer and general direction how to take my game to the next level.

Cheers. GL.

Without reading any other responses in this thread, I will reply with why you should join pocketfives training or another training site.

I have gone back and forth between training sites. These sites will keep you up to date to how regs are playing and adjusting their game. Since the "winning poker tournament's one hand at a time" book was written, the game has a changed a lot.

I will say that some people learn by reading poker books, and some learn better by videos, I recommend a mixture of both but I lean towards videos. The guys making these videos crush the online and live for the most part. Also, the best online guys are 10 times better than the "live guy" no matter what daniel negreanu wants you to think. If you become good online you will do great live. If you become great online, you will be unbelievable live. Just remember that being successful at poker takes detication that few people possess.

Dont sign up for a training site if you arent going to utilize all it has to offer though.
    Edited By: chrisp200 Nov 20th, 2013 at 10:35 PM

Add chrisp200 to Rail
    Originally Posted by chrisp200 View Post

I will say that some people learn by reading poker books, and some learn better by videos, I recommend a mixture of both but I lean towards videos. The guys making these videos crush the online and live for the most part. Also, the best online guys are 10 times better than the "live guy" no matter what daniel negreanu wants you to think. If you become good online you will do great live. If you become great online, you will be unbelievable live. Just remember that being successful at poker takes detection that few people possess.

Dont sign up for a training site if you arent going to utilize all it has to offer though.

Apreciated. btw - dedication?

I've been playing for nearly 10 years, but only in the last year have started working hard and seeking to improve. I massively overestimated my ability for a long time and now have the realisation how much is required to be successful.

Thanks for your advice. I think I'm going for P5's + PXF. I like the look of TPE but am only gonna do 2 per month to start.

My first goal is becoming accomplished with push/fold ranges throughout November playing $1 180 man hypers & $10> turbo mtts fo's. Will aim to play around 100 mtt's and like 250 hyper SNG's - Then its TCOOP come January!!!