Originally Posted by Jaybone2315 View Post

Nope. Not a bit.

You guys are going to hate it then. Go watch a Scanner Darkly instead. There not close in premise or anything I just feel like I had to be really high to conceive of both of them and one has a lot of in your face symbolism and one doesnt.
    Edited By: Mrfreeze53 4 Weeks Ago at 04:46 AM
    Add Mrfreeze53 to Rail
  2. lol shit... its a religious movie?

I still feel like a need to see it.

Its the end of the year, these are gonna start being the movies up for awards. I need to get ready.
    Add Jaybone2315 to Rail

lol shit... its a religious movie?

I still feel like a need to see it.

Its the end of the year, these are gonna start being the movies up for awards. I need to get ready.

It won't be up for any awards imo. And I pulled a full Jaybone and didn't read or watch anything about it. Within the first 10 minutes u realize it's an over the top religious intrepatation mixed with political agenda.

Edit it's literally the old and the New testament mashed together in two hrs in a really strange modern way. Spoilerssss............

A child's flesh is consumed.
    Edited By: Mrfreeze53 4 Weeks Ago at 04:49 AM
    Add Mrfreeze53 to Rail
    Originally Posted by Mrfreeze53 View Post

And I pulled a full Jaybone and didn't read or watch anything about it.

I haven't watched a trailer, outside of a theatre (I always try to arrive 10min late so I only catch one or two), or read a review before watching a movie in years. I can't stand even the mildest of spoilers.

Add qjuice14 to Rail
    Originally Posted by qjuice14 View Post

I haven't watched a trailer, outside of a theatre (I always try to arrive 10min late so I only catch one or two), or read a review before watching a movie in years. I can't stand even the mildest of spoilers.

I must have the worst memory. I don't think I've ever been spoiled by a trailer because by the time I watch whatever the trailer was about, I've totally forgotten anything specific about the trailer itself.
    Add Dyzalot to Rail

Given my job I watch more trailers than most. A lot of the stuff I do doesn't see the light of day but shows up in trailers.
    Add Mrfreeze53 to Rail
    Originally Posted by Mrfreeze53 View Post

It seems directed at me, so I'll give a response. First off I loved Dunkirk, and imo to say it only slightly did things differently , seems ridiculous, it told a war film on three diff time tables, with three diff sub plots, while cohesively connecting them all to one large story.

That being said. To call Mother! original is accurate. That and quite possibly that alone is its biggest flaw. I went into Mother! having not seen or heard anything other that its Arnof, and Alba said Wow. I didn't know a single thing, all I wanted was it to not be another film of him bastardizing religion. Thats what Noah was imo, he took a biblical story with little room for wiggle room and turned it into something out of fucking transformers world, in that he intertwined Creationism and evolution. That being said.

It took all of 10 minutes into the film to realize he was modernizing/ bastardizing the story of Adam and Eve, Cain and Able with some wacky shit. I have no problem with a belief in god or religion, I do have a problem with you needing to twist it, and turn it into something logical to believe. Nothing worse than hearing a religious nutjob tell me, how do we know what timetable a day in Gods time is.

Original Content from 2017 worth watching:

Dunkirk
    Wind River
    Good Time
    Okja
    Shot Caller (Semi original)
    Life

Not original worth seeing tho 2017:
    Get Out

Complete Joke 2017:
    Mother!

IDK just me tho, Alba can post why he thought was amazing, in a well articulated manor. I will as my post above states respect his different viewpoint as he sees things differently as I stated, we all do. I can just say with a fair amount of certainty that theres no need to fuel DA's descent into a weird rabbit hole hes found himself in. But if and when he returns to form, with Pie, Requiem, THe Fighter, or The Wrestler I will gladly hop back on board, but as I've seen with these great directors gone stray, that almost never happens. To quote Boutros I think, once they take a wif of their own farts and decide they like the smell they just keep farting.

Fair enough. Btw when I said "Dunkirk did things slightly differently" I meant in terms of how jarring it is for audiences to watch. I didn't find it very difficult to follow and it told a straightforward narrative. I understand that Nolan played with time and I personally liked that aspect of it, but at the end of the day it's an easy film to understand: war is a horrible and almost unfathomable experience for those on the ground.

Back to Mother though, I still think it's overly harsh to say a movie made by a filmmaker as talented as Aronofsky, with a cast and crew on equal footing, is complete junk. At the very least, it seems like something that people should see and decide for themelves what it is and isn't.

But again, people ITT were telling other people Dunkirk didn't deserve to be seen in theatres so what the fuck do I know about it.

I just read this article today, but it arrives at the conclusion that of the 19 films since 1979 that received an F on the CinemaScore scale (including Mother), many are experimental or extremely ambitious films from successful directors. It does a much better job of explaining it and is a good read.

http://www.vulture.com/2017/09/here-...nemascore.html
    Edited By: BubbaKGB 4 Weeks Ago at 02:32 PM
    Add BubbaKGB to Rail
  8. underrating Dunkirk's originality. Nolan throws the audience in the middle of a battle for a 105 min with no information of any of the characters. And at no point do the characters change throughout the film. It is a ballsy move when a filmmaker expects the audience to connect with the overall event rather than invest in the characters, and that was the point of the film. Where every character was put in the same circumstance of survival that their background or personalities did not matter.

Also, from a technical standpoint, it may be the best movie I've ever seen, especially in IMAX
    Edited By: hookey91 4 Weeks Ago at 02:43 PM
    Add hookey91 to Rail
  9. Lol I'm not saying Dunkirk wasn't original. I love Dunkirk and think it was an incredible movie. I understand it was "different" enough to make people ITT say it wasn't even worth seeing, but I think that's ridiculous.

It all kinda goes back to my original question though. If Dunkirk is pretty original and people hate it, and Mother is almost too-over-the-top original and people despise it (even people who loved Dunkirk) then who do we really have to blame when we get a disproportionate amount of sequels and remakes? The money is what drives content, and even ITT, originality seems to lose out.
    Edited By: BubbaKGB 4 Weeks Ago at 02:49 PM
    Add BubbaKGB to Rail
    Originally Posted by BubbaKGB View Post

Lol I'm not saying Dunkirk wasn't original. I love Dunkirk and think it was an incredible movie. I understand it was "different" enough to make people ITT say it wasn't even worth seeing, but I think that's ridiculous.

It all kinda goes back to my original question though. If Dunkirk is pretty original and people hate it, and Mother is almost too-over-the-top original and people despise it (even people who loved Dunkirk) then who do we really have to blame when we get a disproportionate amount of sequels and remakes? The money is what drives content, and even ITT, originality seems to lose out.

First off pretty Dunkirk is beloved(8.4 on imdb) and did amazing at the box office.

Mother! had terrible advertising because nobody knew WTF it was about, which was intentional I'm sure. People don't pay to see movies in which they know nothing of. Plenty of original filmmakers such as Tarantino, Wes Anderson, Paul Thomas Anderson, Nolan have been successfully commercially for the past 2 decades.

Obv there is no way to stop studios from making sequels and remakes when they see almost guaranteed profits as a result. Are you trying to say that people should see Mother! because it will help bring out more original content?
    Add hookey91 to Rail
    Originally Posted by hookey91 View Post

First off pretty Dunkirk is beloved(8.4 on imdb) and did amazing at the box office.

Mother! had terrible advertising because nobody knew WTF it was about, which was intentional I'm sure. People don't pay to see movies in which they know nothing of. Plenty of original filmmakers such as Tarantino, Wes Anderson, Paul Thomas Anderson, Nolan have been successfully commercially for the past 2 decades.

Obv there is no way to stop studios from making sequels and remakes when they see almost guaranteed profits as a result. Are you trying to say that people should see Mother! because it will help bring out more original content?

I'm not talking about IMDB I'm talking about this thread. It's great that Dunkirk did well, but there was plenty of shade for it around here and I notcied it in my personal shpere as well.

The article I linked talks about what you're saying in the second paragraph in terms of marketing/audience expectation.

Yes.
    Add BubbaKGB to Rail
  12. I don't agree with you bubba that Dunkirk was the worst film this year, I thought it was rather exceptional in some aspects.

Add qjuice14 to Rail

I don't agree with you bubba that Dunkirk was the worst film this year, I thought it was rather exceptional in some aspects.

Haha
    Add BubbaKGB to Rail
  14. Bubba gone full Waco ITT regarding Dunkirk. Can't believe he hated it so much.
    Add skeeze666 to Rail
  15. He just doesn't get original content. He'll prob love Thor: Ragnarok
    Add dolphin13 to Rail
  16. You know, it's the small injustices that really irk me.
    Add BubbaKGB to Rail
  17. Is Wind River an original screenplay?

I have no clue how to find info like that. I just know it was from the same guy who did Hell or High Water.
    Add Jaybone2315 to Rail
  18. I think it was just a photocopy.

Add qjuice14 to Rail
  19. im missing the joke.

But i think its based on a book.

Ill move along :(
    Add Jaybone2315 to Rail
  20. Yes it was an original screen play by Taylor Sheridan who also did Sicario, which has a sequel coming out next year and Hell or High Water.

I really like his stuff
    Edited By: dolphin13 4 Weeks Ago at 07:17 PM
    Add dolphin13 to Rail
  21. Sheridan's an interesting guy that popped up out of nowhere. He admittedly a failed actor of sorts, only getting supporting roles for 20+ years when he quit acting to write. Far and away my favorite new writer/director of the last few years. He is currently writing and directing a mini-series with Kevin Costner set in Montana called Yellowstone.
    Add hookey91 to Rail
  22. Yeah, I knew he was new to the scene.

I wasnt the biggest fan of Hell or High Water, but I do like his stuff.

There has been a ton of meh movies this year, so it was nice to see one that was well done.
    Add Jaybone2315 to Rail

Is Wind River an original screenplay?

I have no clue how to find info like that. I just know it was from the same guy who did Hell or High Water.

It is an original screenplay. It'll say on imdb whether it's based on something or not.
    Add TheAlbatross to Rail
  24. I saw Stronger. Pretty good. I imagine it'll be in play for some awards
    Add TheAlbatross to Rail
  25. Been watching this @ work and home -I can not put it down , and the timing is going to work out perfectly for the next five release...... SO FUCKING WELL DONE !!

Teaching me History shit that they never taught me in HS and College.

~~> http://www.pbs.org/kenburns/the-vietnam-war/watch/

No fanfare, advertising, original actors that were nobody's .... Who would of thunk ?
    Add DeltaDan to Rail
    Originally Posted by TheAlbatross View Post

It is an original screenplay. It'll say on imdb whether it's based on something or not.

Nice.

Im assuming this will be nomintated then.
    Add Jaybone2315 to Rail

im missing the joke.

But i think its based on a book.

Ill move along :(

It was literally a book that was photocopied into screenplay format
    Add JKoblyn to Rail
  28. Just watched Wind River. Really liked it, fine supporting performances.

Becoming a big fan of Sheridan as a writer. Happy to see he has 6 more upcoming projects on imdb.

Add qjuice14 to Rail
  29. It's amazing what gets censored nowadays on TV. I'm Watching Resevoir Dogs on local station. they don't censor one part of the torture scene, including closeups of the chopped off ear. But they censor curse words, like wtf?
    Edited By: hookey91 4 Weeks Ago at 04:30 AM
    Add hookey91 to Rail
  30. Blade Runner getting amazing reactions to critics who have seen it. Denis Villeneuve films are amazing thus far
    Edited By: hookey91 3 Weeks Ago at 06:31 PM
    Add hookey91 to Rail