1. Figured we could use a cooking thread for all these various food threads that keep popping up. If not Ill just use this for my stuff.

Planned on making some basil butter poached mahi mahi but I didn't like the look of the mahi mahi they had left. So went with the classic surf and turf for Valentine's Day. Mrs. R picked out the meat

Thats about a 2lb "sweetheart" steak. Salt and peppered it, let it come up to room temp and pre-heated the oven with my pan it to 225.

made a little garlic and herb compound butter to cook my scallops in.

Diced some bacon for the spinach, which the scallops with be plated on

By now the oven is at temp so I placed the steak in the pre heated pan and put in the oven for 28 mins. (a touch too long but this was a weird cut and I didnt want it be too under)

Cooked the bacon and removed it, saving a few tbls of the bacon drippings. Added a few handfuls of spinach to wilt down. Right before plating, finished the spinach with the bacon and a little drizzle of habanero oil.

The steak is out of the oven by now and resting for 8 mins before I seared it on the stove top. Had too many elements going to get pics of the searing tho.

While the seared steaks rested for 7 minutes, I seasoned and seared my scallops in some of the compound butter made earlier.

Also cooked some asparagus in an earthy Tuscan olive oil and finished with the juice of half of lemon to brightened this buttery dish up a bit.

Finished plate. Served with an organic Syrah, Petite Sirah, Viognier blend from California.

Was really good, just wish I could have gotten a little better sear on the scallops.
    Edited By: thereraise Feb 15th, 2013 at 06:54 AM
    Add thereraise to Rail
  2. that's how you guys cook steaks in cali???????

jk looks great man.
    Add Hank H1LL to Rail
  3. Thanks man.

I wish I had a grill but reverse sear does the job in the apartment. Gets a good crust and all nice and red with no grey band usually.
    Thread StarterAdd thereraise to Rail
  4. Looks fantastic
    Add midmoguy to Rail
  5. would eat
    Add Camz to Rail
  6. Ive been experimenting between grill and skillet lately and I prefer a skillet to the grill for just about everything these days.
    Add Admiral to Rail
  7. yea, you def get better heat control on the stove top but I just miss that good ole grill taste sometimes.
  8. great looking dinner

what do you think the positives to a reverse sear are? its something I've never really messed with, doing it the regular way locks in the juice, only reason I could imagine doing it that way is if you can't get your pan hot enough to do it normally in your apartment, or if you had a tough cut of meat, which it doesnt look like you did

agree with a saute pan or cast iron being the better option if you're looking for perfection, but a bloody steak charred over some open flames is straight grizzly
    Edited By: saca Feb 15th, 2013 at 07:10 AM
    Add saca to Rail
  9. The food i make is no where classy enough for this thread.

Anyone else who cooks hoodrat meals can feel free to post in my thread to avoid embarrasment lol.

Btw, that entire meal looks amazing. Tell Mrs Robinson i said hi. Her drunk ramblings earlier this week were good. I wondering if she remembers lol.
    Add Jaybone2315 to Rail
    Originally Posted by sacaniga View Post

great looking dinner

what do you think the positives to a reverse sear are? its something I've never really messed with, doing it the regular way locks in the juice, only reason I could imagine doing it that way is if you can't get your pan hot enough to do it normally in your arartment

yea I mostly use it because we live in an apt. The oven first makes it so i don't have more than 3-4 mins on the stove top, more would be absurd in my small kitchen. No gas stove to really get that pan to temp either.

I also find it easier to cook a nice mid rare steak using reverse. Usually no grey band and just juicy red meat from top to bottom. I havent really seared first much tho due to my kitchen set up.
    Edited By: thereraise Feb 15th, 2013 at 07:13 AM
    Originally Posted by Jaybone2315 View Post

The food i make is no where classy enough for this thread.

Anyone else who cooks hoodrat meals can feel free to post in my thread to avoid embarrasment lol.

Btw, that entire meal looks amazing. Tell Mrs Robinson i said hi. Her drunk ramblings earlier this week were good. I wondering if she remembers lol.

She's says hi and bits and pieces.

Keep on cooking man, soon enough it will be haute cuisine, suitable for this fancy cooking thread lol.
  12. Maybe I'm alone but slightly tilting for descriptions to be under the picture and slightly confusing as well

Looks delicious but where is the beer?
    Add Zeppelin to Rail
  13. yeah I hear you, my kitchen setup is a joke, if I didnt cook for a living and have an outlet for all of my feasting I'd go insane... only one of my burners works and my oven only broils, every once in a while I'll make a really sick meal with just those things though, always a fun challenge
    Add saca to Rail
    Originally Posted by sacaniga View Post

yeah I hear you, my kitchen setup is a joke, if I didnt cook for a living and have an outlet for all of my feasting I'd go insane... only one of my burners works and my oven only broils, every once in a while I'll make a really sick meal with just those things though, always a fun challenge

well as long as your neighbor stays on vacation you have a good kitchen to use.

Zep, i always just go underneath the pics.,not sure why. I didn't have a pic for each step which kind of makes it weird to follow along. Wanted to kinda do like a step by step thing but had a shit ton of things finishing during plating.
    Edited By: thereraise Feb 15th, 2013 at 07:18 AM
    Originally Posted by thereraise View Post

well as long as your neighbor stays on vacation you have a good kitchen to use.

they're all out of clean dishes and bubble bath stuff, so I'm kind of boycotting that whole scene... hope the cats are ok
    Add saca to Rail
  16. I baked a couple loaves of sourdough today. Also some sugar cookies, but no photos because there's nothing exciting about photos of sugar cookies.

Add Autolobotomist to Rail
  17. Nice, love homemade bread and esp sourdough
  18. That all looks amazing, so does that sourdough bread. I've been cooking for a long time but had never tried baking bread from scratch so I made this loaf the other day. Going to add some herbs the next time I make it, but with some European butter it was amazing.

Add KingPariah to Rail
  19. Looking good, you really went allin on the asparagus...

Def would eat :)

Add Bisull to Rail
  20. To auto do u make your own soudough starter or buy one??

And to reraise the reverse sear eh im intriuged how i always do my steaks is.... I turn my oven on broil at 500 and toss my cast iron skillet in there right away and when its preheated and pan is smoking hot i oil the steak a bit on suidie with s & P and sear on both sides for 1.5-2 mins then toss in oven for 6-8 Seems to work fine.

Ill be too lazy to take photos but tonight im making jalepoeno burgers with Panchetta Smoked Gouda and a spicy big mac-esque sauce i created with beer glazed onions
    Edited By: Popperhead Feb 15th, 2013 at 04:54 PM
    Add Popperhead to Rail
  21. I started my own starter about 2ish years ago detailed here. By now it is robust and flavorful. Its name is Zeke.
    Edited By: Autolobotomist Feb 15th, 2013 at 05:29 PM
    Reason: No apostrophe in posessive pronouns
    Originally Posted by Popperhead View Post

To auto do u make your own soudough starter or buy one??

And to reraise the reverse sear eh im intriuged how i always do my steaks is.... I turn my oven on broil at 500 and toss my cast iron skillet in there right away and when its preheated and pan is smoking hot i oil the steak a bit on suidie with s & P and sear on both sides for 1.5-2 mins then toss in oven for 6-8 Seems to work fine.

Ill be too lazy to take photos but tonight im making jalepoeno burgers with Panchetta Smoked Gouda and a spicy big mac-esque sauce i created with beer glazed onions

def need pics of this meal

don't fail us
    Add tmac456 to Rail
    Originally Posted by Autolobotomist View Post

I started my own starter about 2ish years ago detailed here. By now it is robust and flavorful. Its name is Zeke.

My brother is a baker and pastry chef i am very intirgued by this stuff but is it true that even tho 100 yr old starters exist they dont vary much from orinignal flavor after the alooted 10 day period.

Tmac i wont take pics of process but ill try and get one of finished product

I will tell u guys how i cook my burgers and are gauanteed perfect every time

Meidum high heat pan coated with oil Place burgers in and sear for 2.5 3 minutes (depends on size and thickness)

Lower heat slightly and flip and cook for roughly 2 minutes to get a similar sear on burgers

Have oven preheated for 400 and place burgers on a baking sheet (slotted is best) for about 5 minutes then add whatever cheese your using by the time cheese is melted burgs are done

I'll take this method over a BBQ all day every day i find the sear seals juices in BBQ dries em out
    Edited By: Popperhead Feb 15th, 2013 at 07:03 PM
    Add Popperhead to Rail
  24. Some people say that a starter will retain its own character, some argue that geography/environment matters more than the origins of a colony, and some people say that starters will be most influenced by the bacteria on utensils and hands with which it comes into contact.

My uncle has a starter that he grew back in Kansas in the 70's and he has my starter born in Arizona. They certainly look different and smell different, but perhaps there will be a convergence of their characteristics after he has mine for a while.

I'm not really certain. I don't know that anyone has ever really done any meaningful study on it.
  25. From what i understand from what my bro tells me you could have the same starter and have one in ontario one in texas and one in italy and it'll pick up different qualities from air and envirionment

SOurdough is fucking amazing. And he also told me a story of a baker at a bakery here in TO that had his starter for 20 years initially started with beer and apples and some dumb cunt intern filled it with powdered sugar on his day off and ruined it. The guy was nearly suicidal
    Edited By: Popperhead Feb 15th, 2013 at 07:21 PM
    Add Popperhead to Rail
  26. when/if i get rich enough, want to be my personal chef?
    Add FenwayKing to Rail
  27. All these food is making me want to get a little crazy in the kitchen. I think something up and make it this weekend.

Well done all around on that Vday meal, would eat for days.
    Add Realbigfish4 to Rail
    Originally Posted by FenwayKing View Post

when/if i get rich enough, want to be my personal chef?

Get in line pal.
    Add Jaybone2315 to Rail
    Originally Posted by FenwayKing View Post

when/if i get rich enough, want to be my personal chef?

Im in. Scoop a few bracelets this summer and we are all set.

Get back to SD jay and ill cook you up anything you want.........as long as it doesnt involve ketchup
  30. I think re raise and I would get along just swimmingly I love his enthusiasm for food and wine. If i wasnt a single bum id get more adventureous I just enjoy cooking what i know im good at.

And sorry i forgot to take pics of burgers i was stoned half drunk and hungry they were fucking delicious tho. The kicker for me was the Van Holtens hot and spicy pickles those things are the flopped nuts
    Add Popperhead to Rail