1. lol just throw it all in the ziploc bag?
    Add Hank H1LL to Rail
  2. #Stunned
    Add norcaljeff to Rail
  3. I still dont understand calling pizza a pie
    Add DONKWOOD to Rail
    Originally Posted by DONKWOOD View Post

I still dont understand calling pizza a pie

I prefer my thin crust in squares. But it's the pie shaped cut. Open your eyes.
    Add aupoker1 to Rail
  5. Call it a cake then. Same size. I ate pizza in Rome which was cut into squares. It was so delicious omg. Wish I could go back just for the pizza.
    Add DONKWOOD to Rail
  6. Had one of the worst pizzas I've ever eaten in Milan. Felt like I'd been cheated.
    Add djg23 to Rail
  7. Doing a pork shoulder sous vide today (small one, just under 2 lbs) for pulled park sandwiches tomorrow.

Most of these recipes say 48-60 hours, but ain't nobody got time for that, prolly do ~30 at 140 degrees and have for dinner tomorrow. Meat should pull easily by then I would think.

Originally Posted by djg23 View Post

Had one of the worst pizzas I've ever eaten in Milan. Felt like I'd been cheated.

EDIT: Not sure what I read there. How do you get bad pizza in Milan? That blows.
    Edited By: TheWacoKidd Apr 6th, 2016 at 09:04 PM
    Add TheWacoKidd to Rail
  8. Milan, not Miami
    Add s1nnr to Rail
    Originally Posted by TheWacoKidd View Post

Doing a pork shoulder sous vide today (small one, just under 2 lbs) for pulled park sandwiches tomorrow.

Most of these recipes say 48-60 hours, but ain't nobody got time for that, prolly do ~30 at 140 degrees and have for dinner tomorrow. Meat should pull easily by then I would think.

let us know how it goes. full disclosure, I've never done a pork butt sous vide so I can't speak from experience there. but 140 does sound a little low. nothing wrong with shortening the time as long as you increase the temp. I would think 150-160 would work better but like I said, never tried it. good luck whatever you go with.
    Add Hank H1LL to Rail
    Originally Posted by DONKWOOD View Post

Call it a cake then. Same size. I ate pizza in Rome which was cut into squares. It was so delicious omg. Wish I could go back just for the pizza.

it has a crust as well.

Add AmSlim22 to Rail

EDIT: Not sure what I read there. How do you get bad pizza in Milan? That blows.

Exactly. Somehow managed to find the only place in Italy that can't make a pizza apparently. Worst day ever.
    Add djg23 to Rail
    Originally Posted by Hank H1LL View Post

let us know how it goes. full disclosure, I've never done a pork butt sous vide so I can't speak from experience there. but 140 does sound a little low. nothing wrong with shortening the time as long as you increase the temp. I would think 150-160 would work better but like I said, never tried it. good luck whatever you go with.

most say 135-145 range, gonna hit it with the cast iron/blowtorch combo after anyways. I think 30 hours at 140 will get it done, we'll see

EDIT: just went to 145 since I'm shortening time
    Edited By: TheWacoKidd Apr 6th, 2016 at 09:24 PM
    Add TheWacoKidd to Rail
  13. right on. pulled pork is pulled pork. it will be delicious regardless. now you put the idea in my head and now I want to try it. maybe this weekend.
    Add Hank H1LL to Rail

most say 135-145 range, gonna hit it with the cast iron/blowtorch combo after anyways. I think 30 hours at 140 will get it done, we'll see

EDIT: just went to 145 since I'm shortening time

solid strategy. The crust is key, rub some brown sugar on it before blowtorch. you're welcome
    Add 80lballz to Rail
  15. brown sugar was 2nd most used ingredient in my rub, next to paprika. pre-rubbed before putting in the sous vide tho

but I may hit it with some more rub before I torch it, or at least brown sugar and maybe some sauce
    Add TheWacoKidd to Rail
  16. Serious question, what is 30 hours in a sous vide bath going to do to a 2 lb shoulder that 8 hours on low in a crock pot cant? More control on internal temp?
    Add tkeat1653 to Rail
  17. yea, precise control is good. mainly less moisture will be squeezed out of the fibers at the lower temp. you can bring the meat to the temperature you want, which lets you break down connective tissue and render fat without overcooking it and drying it out.

like with a pork shoulder, it will be up to a safe temperature and "cooked" in a few hours. it's about breaking down the connective tissue so it's fall-apart. you definitely don't need an immersion circulator but it makes a difference in the texture.
    Edited By: Hank H1LL Apr 6th, 2016 at 10:54 PM
    Add Hank H1LL to Rail
  18. Are you going for pulled pork or a steak like texture? If you want pulled pork crank that up to 150-155.

edit: that was after my first pass. 145 should get it done, under cooked pulled pork is really disappointing though just an FYI. I pulled a shoulder from the smoker a little too early and it just wasn't up to snuff.

Thinking about doing some beef ribs and pork shoulder this weekend for the masters.
    Edited By: Admiral Apr 6th, 2016 at 11:13 PM
    Add Admiral to Rail
    Originally Posted by Hank H1LL View Post

yea, precise control is good. mainly less moisture will be squeezed out of the fibers at the lower temp. you can bring the meat to the temperature you want, which lets you break down connective tissue and render fat without overcooking it and drying it out.

like with a pork shoulder, it will be up to a safe temperature and "cooked" in a few hours. it's about breaking down the connective tissue so it's fall-apart. you definitely don't need an immersion circulator but it makes a difference in the texture.

Interesting. Whenever I smoke pork butts, I leave them on until the temp is around 200 degrees. It usually has to be pretty close to that temp before the meat will pull easily. I'm anxious to see how this works.
    Add midmoguy to Rail
    Originally Posted by midmoguy View Post

Interesting. Whenever I smoke pork butts, I leave them on until the temp is around 200 degrees. It usually has to be pretty close to that temp before the meat will pull easily. I'm anxious to see how this works.

Smoking and sous vide are very different techniques. Pork collagen will break down at 145 but it needs a significantly more amount of time to do it. When you smoke you go up to 200 because that's where collagen will break down in the 1-2 hour cook time. In a sous vide instead of holding for 2 hours you're holding for 20.

It will definitely work but there wont be the delicious bark that makes pulled pork a favorite of mine. Their should be less moisture loss but that piece of pork just isn't that flavorful so you'll get flavor from seasoning and pan searing after the cook.
    Edited By: Admiral Apr 7th, 2016 at 01:52 AM
    Add Admiral to Rail
    Originally Posted by Admiral View Post

Are you going for pulled pork or a steak like texture? If you want pulled pork crank that up to 150-155.

edit: that was after my first pass. 145 should get it done, under cooked pulled pork is really disappointing though just an FYI. I pulled a shoulder from the smoker a little too early and it just wasn't up to snuff.

Thinking about doing some beef ribs and pork shoulder this weekend for the masters.

couldn't agree more on temp; ive started to take my pulled pork off about 207 degrees and there is actually a real difference even compared to taking them off at 202 or 203...been tossing half in a light vinegar sauce and its been amazing

usually foil/butcher paper wrap them around 175-180
    Edited By: Earlybird893 Apr 7th, 2016 at 02:05 AM
    Add Earlybird893 to Rail
  22. not only am I expecting this to pull easily at 145, it should fall apart on its own when I'm trying to sear it, which is why I may go blowtorch.

"Seal the bag and cook for 24-72 hours at somewhere between 135-145ºF (57-62ºC). After a day, you’ll have tender pork steaks. After two, fall-apart pulled pork."

http://sousvidely.com/sous-vide-pulled-pork/

this one says "This really comes out more like "chopped pork" than a real sous vide pulled pork but I love it cooked at the lower temperature. For a more traditional pulled pork you can raise the temperature to 145°F / 62.8°C or even 155°F / 68.3°C."

http://www.amazingfoodmadeeasy.com/i...<br /> \recipe

another one at 135 for 1-2 days: http://www.amazingfoodmadeeasy.com/i...ed-pork-recipe

seems pretty standard to do it the way I am doing it

Originally Posted by Admiral View Post

It will definitely work but there wont be the delicious bark that makes pulled pork a favorite of mine. Their should be less moisture loss but that piece of pork just isn't that flavorful so you'll get flavor from seasoning and pan searing after the cook.

obv that is the plan
    Edited By: TheWacoKidd Apr 7th, 2016 at 02:19 AM
    Add TheWacoKidd to Rail
  23. Ah yeah you got it. Anxious to see how it turns out. Doing it for Friday night?
    Add Admiral to Rail
  24. might do it tomorrow night which would put it around 30 hours, but I'm having second thoughts now
    Add TheWacoKidd to Rail
  25. are you using a standard little creme brûlée type blow torch? didn't know if there was bigger ones made for meat or something.

Add clemsonrich to Rail
  26. yep. this is a pretty small shoulder. they make torches at every size, saw like 50 of them at the smoke shop yesterday (for people that dab wax etc)
    Add TheWacoKidd to Rail
  27. I'm so fucking hungry hud

lol zomg etc etc
    Add norcaljeff to Rail
  28. Tested a Buffalo chicken pizza. Will make again and post it up.
    Add rebelfd to Rail
  29. Made these as a reward for sprint/walking for an hour . Triple harvest cheddar sunchip style . Could be the tastiest thing I've ever eaten.

]
    Edited By: 80lballz Apr 7th, 2016 at 07:21 PM
    Add 80lballz to Rail
    Originally Posted by 80lballz View Post

Made these as a reward for sprint/walking for an hour . Triple harvest cheddar sunchip style . Could be the tastiest thing I've ever eaten.

]

Move to Cooking with Jayboe thread?
    Add Mrfreeze53 to Rail