1. I can't even guess at hydration because I don't scale anything. I don't measure hydration in my starter, and I think I keep a much looser starter than most people. I live in Phoenix, so my dough is never going to be right following a recipe. My flour will ALWAYS devour substantially more water than any recipe calls for. I'm always going to start light on flour and I'm usually starting with something that more closely resembles a batter and adding flour to make it a manageable dough. I simply gave up on trying to follow any recipe, and build dough almost entirely by feel. I loosely follow a 3:2:1 method which should result in something like 71% hydration, but again, my starter is super wet and my flour is super dry. Maybe it balances out :D

I'm not a flour snob yet. I won't use a store brand, wait... Really though, I just don't know what I'm getting. I don't have to spend $6 on a bag of KA, but I always buy it when it's on sale. I think Gold Medal is fine for AP. For bread and whole wheat flour I tend to like KA over others. My girl recently brought home a bag of that Bob's Red Mill stuff, so these loaves here were 2/3 Bob's Unbleached Artisan Bread Flour, and 1/3 KA Whole Wheat. The starter has been maintained recently with Gold Medal Unbleached AP.

If you've ever been to Tempe there's a street near campus called Mill Ave. that's the ASU bar crawl spot. There's still the husk of the Hayden Flour mill looming at the north end of the street. A few years ago someone secured the rights to the Hayden Flour Mills name and began growing heirloom Arizona grains all over metro-Phoenix. I can't afford to buy their shit, but I'll be damned if I don't wish I could afford to spend $12 a pound on flour.
    Add Autolobotomist to Rail
  2. Man, I reread that last page and I'm posting like you don't know shit about shit, and you're over there like, "Motherfucker, I read a book about bread. Have you read a book about bread, Otto?" and now I kinda feel like a dick.
    Edited By: Autolobotomist May 27th, 2016 at 10:07 PM
    Reason: No, I have never read a book about bread.
  3. okay cool. yea I've only done Gold Medal for bread and pizza so I can't comment. I know King Arthur is the best but it's definitely not cheap.

this is the 00 flour I use for my pasta now: http://smile.amazon.com/Antimo-Caput.../dp/B005HEEFN2. under $3/lb !!! but 12.5% protein, which actually makes a difference in pasta. I'm not sure it's necessary in breads.

I've used Bob's semolina and it's the best but haven't tried anything else from them. lots of good info though. I appreciate you writing it down.
    Add Hank H1LL to Rail
    Originally Posted by Autolobotomist View Post

Man, I reread that last page and I'm posting like you don't know shit about shit, and you're over there like, "Motherfucker, I read a book about bread. Have you read a book about bread, Otto?" and now I kinda feel like a dick.

lol no, don't worry about my feelings. last time we talked about this I really didn't know anything. I'm learning though!
    Add Hank H1LL to Rail
  5. Got my pasta machine back from a friend of mine with whom I'd left it before I started driving truck. I'm pretty stoked to put it to use soon. I'll keep my eye out for that flour.
  6. I think you have to order that one online, but if you ever see the finely ground (00) with a protein content up in the 11-12% range then go for it. the 00 is the grind. and you have to be careful because MOST Italian 00 flours actually have lower protein content than American AP flours. if they know what they're doing they cut their fancy pants 00 flour with higher protein flour.

anyway, that would be awesome if you get back into the pasta. post it up imo.
    Add Hank H1LL to Rail
  7. Fucking bread nerds.

Guess I need to read up on the bread game to keep up.

I can't make bread worth shit, but could whip all your asses in a bread eating contest.
    Add XquiziVex to Rail
    Originally Posted by XquiziVex View Post

Fucking bread nerds.

Guess I need to read up on the bread game to keep up.

I can't make bread worth shit, but could whip all your asses in a bread eating contest.

I don't fuck with bread either X. Too much work. If I have a yeast culture goin it's for beer.
    Add rayspizza to Rail
  9. Seems like it would be very rewarding once you figure it out. Nothing like quality fresh baked bread. So addictive.
    Edited By: XquiziVex May 28th, 2016 at 01:38 AM
    Add XquiziVex to Rail
  10. if you don't think the idea of micro-brewed soda is too douchey, I'd strongly suggest giving these guys a shot:

I've had the cola and the orange cream soda. both are great. I know they make a root beer too. the cola especially tastes amazing.
    Add Hank H1LL to Rail
  11. Looks gross
    Add URI_Stunna to Rail
  12. Last few pages gave me gas.
    Bimbo bread ftw
    Add El Guapo to Rail
  13. Did you use a Dutch oven?
    Edited By: URI_Stunna May 31st, 2016 at 05:13 AM
    Reason: Nicexweed
    Add URI_Stunna to Rail
  14. Almost photoed the carnitas tacos I made today/tonight. Couldn't keep off them long enough to find the phone.
  15. decided to make a meatball sub/hoagie/cheesesteak.

I've never made rolls this size so wasn't sure how big.

the one is hilariously oversized. probably gonna toss that one.

made some meatballs and marinara. they're half beef, half Italian sausage.

scoop out some of the bread and toss provolone on top.

under the broiler for a minute.

destroy.

couldn't even finish. pretty sure there was close to a pound of meatballs on there lol
    Add Hank H1LL to Rail
    Originally Posted by Cooker View Post

weed is tight
    Add tamayo85 to Rail
  17. hank, come to sf. you can use my mom's kitchen (not a metaphor) anytime. would nom
    Add norcaljeff to Rail
  18. Sorry, y'all, girl is at work so you get a photo taken with my shitty phone.

Carnitas tacos w/ avocado crema.

19. pics of hot Latin chick who made that...
    Add El Guapo to Rail
  20. #guedo

Originally Posted by norcaljeff View Post

hank, come to sf. you can use my mom's kitchen (not a metaphor) anytime. would nom

ahahhahaha, first time I've ever legit laughed at this guys post, and it's cause he's making fun of himself.
    Add 80lballz to Rail
    Originally Posted by Autolobotomist View Post

Sorry, y'all, girl is at work so you get a photo taken with my shitty phone.

Carnitas tacos w/ avocado crema.

Fixed.

23. nice tacos. when I was in your neighborhood all the burritos had the best pico. not sure why it tastes better there but it does for some reason.

I made a bacon cheeseburger. went full try-hard mode baking the buns. I had been wanting to try it so burgers seemed like a good enough reason.

step 1: acquire dough ball. I can post the recipe if anyone wants to try it.

step 2: portion.

step 3: allow dough to morph into hamburger buns.

step 4: bake. they baked together a little bit so they're authentic like Sara Lee.

step 5: cool.

step 6: admire fluffy interior.

[steps 7 through 16 not pictured.]

step 17: assemble cheeseburger.

the picture doesn't do justice to its size. it was a 10 oz monster. it was good 85/15 beef from the butcher (for like 60% of Trader Joe's price) and bacon from him as well. bun was toasted with the rendered bacon fat. sharp cheddar, butter lettuce, and tomato to round it off.

the buns turned out better than I expected. I figured they would be dense and poopy because I didn't knead long enough but it worked. gonna freeze most of them.

1/1 would eat again.
    Add Hank H1LL to Rail
    Originally Posted by El Guapo View Post

Bimbo bread ftw

Add bucketorocks to Rail
    Originally Posted by Hank H1LL View Post

the picture doesn't do justice to its size. it was a 10 oz monster. it was good 85/15 beef from the butcher (for like 60% of Trader Joe's price) and bacon from him as well. bun was toasted with the rendered bacon fat. sharp cheddar, butter lettuce, and tomato to round it off.

Add 80lballz to Rail
  26. I'd slam your buns.
    Add LeftyMark to Rail
  27. gyatt daayyum those buns look awesome. If I could bake bread like that I'd be on that my life at 600lb show.
    Add XquiziVex to Rail
  28. Throw some ketchup and mustard on that. Maybe pickles or relish. Add some onion and a real piece of lettuce. Shrink the bacon into 4 pieces and you got yourself a burger
    Add URI_Stunna to Rail
    Originally Posted by URI_Stunna View Post

Throw some ketchup and mustard on that. Maybe pickles or relish. Add some onion and a real piece of lettuce. Shrink the bacon into 4 pieces and you got yourself a burger

Add Hank H1LL to Rail