1.  
    Originally Posted by rebelfd View Post

    I will eat venison that have a main diet of grain(ie corn/wheat), venison that eat wild grass, roots, sapling, etc is gamy, and it tastes very similar to lamb, they both have after taste that I don't like. Maybe I'm the only person in the world like this.


    yup you dumb.
    Add ChocoThunder to Rail
  2.  
    Originally Posted by TheWacoKidd View Post

    dinner tonight. grilled quail with fresh cilantro, rosemary, thyme, sage, pepper, and a jalapeno salt blend rub served with garlic/lemon/butter asparagus and boiled corn on the cob

    Nice choice of beer

    Add DONKWOOD to Rail
  3. If my worst trait is disliking lamb, I'll take it.
    Add rebelfd to Rail
  4. it's not that you dislike it, it's that you are wrong about how it tastes. dislike the taste all you want, but it's not gamy.

    EDIT: looks like a good mix of food, LS. I'm liking Middle Eastern food more and more these days
    Edited By: TheWacoKidd Apr 25th, 2014 at 07:31 PM
    Add TheWacoKidd to Rail
  5. IM GONNA ASK IN ALL CAPS THIS TIME

    A GOOD SHORT-RIB RECIPE NEEDED PLEASE POST ITT. I NEED TRIED TESTED & TRUE Method
    Add Popperhead to Rail
  6. havent made it yet but Kellers short ribs from Ad Hoc At Home looks great, but kind of intense as all his stuff is.

    http://momofukufor2.com/2010/03/ad-h...t-ribs-recipe/

    i actually dont think ive ever made short ribs at home or its been a long time and dont really have a go to recipe.
    Thread StarterAdd thereraise to Rail
  7. My sister made these and they were awesome

    http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2...en-on-a-plate/
    Add BulldogCafe to Rail
  8.  
    Originally Posted by BulldogCafe View Post

    My sister made these and they were awesome

    http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2...en-on-a-plate/


    Those look awesome but holy shit that recipe/pics/commentary tilted me to read. I found a new butcher so I'm gonna try these out soon will post a trip report
    Add Popperhead to Rail
  9. Doing my first attempt in making PopperHeads dish. I have always made my own Lassagna that I came up with years ago .... So I thought this would of been fun.

    Truth be told - I should of scheduled it for another day as I worked a solid 12 hours last night and did not get and shut eye time - So I am hoping that situation will be corrected for tonights's 12.

    Normally I would of made my own sauce .... But I knew I was time constrained with/without sleep @ work. SO I went with the jarred stuff- Want to guess with one I went with ?



    Used #1 of Hot Sausage, 2 links of Sweet sausage, #1/2 of ground Lamb and #1/3 of ground hamburger -- added garlic.



    I fucked up here - in either two way's - First was in using whole milk Ricotta Cheese, And 2and was more than likely stirring it in before the meat was fully cooled.

    Added in some Merlot, Marinara, #1/2 Motzerella and #1/2 of Chedar , Two bags of spinach leaves - wilted one at a time in some reserved meat grease, 1 bunch of chopped green onion/scallions and #1 of mushrooms.



    butter coated and then sauced the pan.


    Stuffed the shells and placed .... I ice water shocked the shell's after pulled from the pasta boiler. It worked well and right @ 9 minuets they are aldente.





    The rest of the Motz and Cheddar.



    Topped with sauce -




    The Asango and Parm is shredded - Wife is going to start the oven by 1430 and bake for 40 minuets covered, uncover and top with the grated parm/asango for 10 - pull and wake me so I can shower while it cool's and sets.

    This was quite a bit of prep time -- even w/o not making my own sauce.

    Looking foreword to enjoying it with the family around the table for sure.
    Add DeltaDan to Rail
  10. nothing wrong with the canned stuff once in a while. I'd use that as a pillow.
    Add Hank H1LL to Rail
  11. This weekends adventure on the smoker was baby back ribs. Made a rub and did 2-2-1 in the smoker. 2 hours uncovered, 2 wrapped in foil with apple juice and then unwrapped and sauced (yes sauced, suck it) for an hour to finish. All at about 275. These came out delicious, will 100% be doing these again. I'll probably substitute the cayenne in the rub with more brown sugar. I like my ribs sweeter rather than hot.

    Here they were after 2 hours of smoke just before I wrapped.


    The next 2 are the finished product.





    I'm gonna go pass out on my couch and digest.
    Edited By: SirLiesAlot Apr 26th, 2014 at 10:33 PM
    Add SirLiesAlot to Rail
  12. WOW ! Shit turned out AWESOME !! Totally blew me away as I thought it would taste much like my own Lasagna that I make 2x a year. The Wife said she loved this more better than the lasagna -- WTF !! It was very VERY good. Had sort of a sweet taste - and I am wondering if if it possibly could of been enhanced with the 1/4 cup of Merlot I put into the meat/cheeses/veggies/sauces out of a jar and not my homemade sauce ?






    Very VERY nice smoked ribs SLA !! Did you finish on a smoker @ 275 or on a grill ??
    Add DeltaDan to Rail
  13. Damn, those shells look awesome.

    I did the ribs the whole time on the smoker. Pretty damn happy with how they turned out. Especially for my first time.
    Add SirLiesAlot to Rail
  14.  
    Originally Posted by DeltaDan View Post

    WOW ! Shit turned out AWESOME !! Totally blew me away as I thought it would taste much like my own Lasagna that I make 2x a year. The Wife said she loved this more better than the lasagna -- WTF !! It was very VERY good. Had sort of a sweet taste - and I am wondering if if it possibly could of been enhanced with the 1/4 cup of Merlot I put into the meat/cheeses/veggies/sauces out of a jar and not my homemade sauce ?






    Very VERY nice smoked ribs SLA !! Did you finish on a smoker @ 275 or on a grill ??


    Looks very good... Recipe? Also hilarious that the clock says 3:50
    Add Camz to Rail
  15. It's in my post above -- Perdy much to a tee. The Parm and Asango cheese - I grated less than half their size to top with to be baked for the last 10 minuets uncovered. Baked it @ 370 for 40 minuets covered and then topped with parm/anang and baked for another 10 minuets.



    The oven/stove no matter how much I love it -- Unfortunately does not have the option for using Military time.
    Edited By: DeltaDan Apr 27th, 2014 at 04:02 PM
    Add DeltaDan to Rail
  16.  
    Originally Posted by DeltaDan View Post

    I fucked up here - in either two way's - First was in using whole milk Ricotta Cheese, And 2and was more than likely stirring it in before the meat was fully cooled.

    I fucked up only in presentation -- It did not look like the web recipe pictures with perfect glob's of white ricotta cheese separate than the rest of the ingredients. The taste - OUT OF THIS WORLD !!

    Just like Milk - I would choose Vitamin D milk over 2% anyday and I drink about a gallon a week. Skim/Non-fat milk -- I would rather drink Gatorade in my shakes/alone/breakfast granola. It's a fucking waste IMO.
    Edited By: DeltaDan Apr 27th, 2014 at 04:13 PM
    Add DeltaDan to Rail
  17. I just creamed my panties on the left overs ..... After I went to work - Wife made desert for the boys and heselfr.

    Had my 2and meal with dessert and the last of the salad -- and then the desert.


    I am in bed now with hopes of getting 4-3 hours of sleep - and another easy 12 of work tonight.





    I am having plans for the Smoker Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday - If I can get the youngest son out of HS for an early round of 18 holes on the GC. If not - I'll be golfing or cooking alone.
    Edited By: DeltaDan Apr 27th, 2014 at 08:02 PM
    Add DeltaDan to Rail
  18. Some good looking stuff on this page.

    Very nice work guys
    Thread StarterAdd thereraise to Rail






  19. If I had to choose one meal to eat for the rest of my life, this would be it. Mabo Dofu so fkn good. Wife made it last night and I pretty much ate it all.
    Add DONKWOOD to Rail
  20. Add sean614 to Rail
  21. Cant lie, I lol'd

    Add DONKWOOD to Rail
  22. so is that just like tofu and beef. Any sauce or anything, is it served over noodles or rice or do you just eat it like that?
    Thread StarterAdd thereraise to Rail
  23. <---- Cooking with Jaybone
    Add Jaybone2315 to Rail
  24.  
    Originally Posted by DONKWOOD View Post

    If I had to choose one meal to eat for the rest of my life, this would be it. Mabo Dofu so fkn good. Wife made it last night and I pretty much ate it all.

    its mapo tofu everywhere else in the world. japs always trying to make shit theirs.
    Add tdk to Rail
  25. Smoked a brisket today...24 hours with some John Henry brine...caked the rub on...woke up at 6 AM to put that bitch in...took it out when internal was 165* to wrap it in foil and put the rest of the brine in the foil with it...back into smoker until 190* internal temp...took it off and let it rest for 25-30 minutes.

    The recipe said to take it off at 210, and I took it off at 190 hoping it would be a little under medium...last time I did brisket it was very good, but overdone. Same deal this time...stinks that I can't perfect it. It was extremely good flavor, but just not any of the pink that I'd like to see in my beef. Bark was amazing...the brine/rub combo was outstanding. Just a little overdone.

    Here's a link to the pics I put on twitter...don't feel like messing with photobucket right now:

    https://twitter.com/JJRoth15/status/...046720/photo/1
    Add JRoth15 to Rail
  26.  
    Originally Posted by thereraise View Post

    so is that just like tofu and beef. Any sauce or anything, is it served over noodles or rice or do you just eat it like that?

    You can eat it by itself or with rice. I always eat it with rice. Its tofu, ground beef, spicy sauce, chopped onions, spicy bean curd plus some other stuff. You can add whatever you want really.
    Add DONKWOOD to Rail
  27.  
    Originally Posted by tdk View Post

    its mapo tofu everywhere else in the world. japs always trying to make shit theirs.

    Thats what its called in Japanese brah
    Add DONKWOOD to Rail
  28.  
    Originally Posted by JRoth15 View Post

    Smoked a brisket today...24 hours with some John Henry brine...caked the rub on...woke up at 6 AM to put that bitch in...took it out when internal was 165* to wrap it in foil and put the rest of the brine in the foil with it...back into smoker until 190* internal temp...took it off and let it rest for 25-30 minutes.

    The recipe said to take it off at 210, and I took it off at 190 hoping it would be a little under medium...last time I did brisket it was very good, but overdone. Same deal this time...stinks that I can't perfect it. It was extremely good flavor, but just not any of the pink that I'd like to see in my beef. Bark was amazing...the brine/rub combo was outstanding. Just a little overdone.

    Here's a link to the pics I put on twitter...don't feel like messing with photobucket right now:

    https://twitter.com/JJRoth15/status/...046720/photo/1

    I am far from a brisket expert but I think you're being too hard on yourself. Brisket is safe to cook and good to go like all other beef, around 140-145 I think. That cut though would be tough as leather if you serve it anywhere south of 185 from what I've read. 190-195 seems to be the recommended temp to pull and cool. If you got the look of beef that you're looking for the brisket would be almost inedible. Again, I'm no expert but the couple I've cooked have been gray trough out but not dried out at all, pretty juicy in fact. I know a lot of people will inject the brisket with beef stock before smoking to add some moisture, I have yet to try it but plan to eventually. Also, I've been told by a couple guys who do amazing BBQ that after you finish cooking the brisket wrap it in parchment paper, then a towel and then let it rest in an empty cooler for at least an hour. The most fun part of cooking is learning from your delicious mistakes lol. Also, this is basic stuff but not everyone knows so don't be offended by me saying it. Cut against the grain. If you cut it wrong it will seem tougher than it should.
    Edited By: SirLiesAlot Apr 28th, 2014 at 09:29 PM
    Add SirLiesAlot to Rail
  29.  
    Originally Posted by tdk View Post

    its mapo tofu everywhere else in the world. japs always trying to make shit theirs.

    Actually, the spelling Mapo Tofu is taken from the Sino-English transliterational system called Wade-Giles, which predates the most current system being used (Pinyin) by several decades. Outdated Wade-Giles spellings are often used as "standard" since they were established before the vastly more precise modern Pinyin system was implemented worldwide. So his spelling is not only correct, it is more verbally accurate as well. Mabo Dofu is a Chinese dish, and in Mandarin its pronounced Ma Buo Doe Fu.

    Edited By: Glo4m Apr 29th, 2014 at 01:25 AM
    Add Glo4m to Rail
  30.  
    Originally Posted by DONKWOOD View Post

    You can eat it by itself or with rice. I always eat it with rice. Its tofu, ground beef, spicy sauce, chopped onions, spicy bean curd plus some other stuff. You can add whatever you want really.

    Chinese style over noodles > all else. But it looks like you dont got nearly enough spice son. Less butter, more hot stuff for mine, That said, fucking love the dish and could also eat it erryday. These roundeyes dont know what theyre missing.
    Add Glo4m to Rail