1. Anyone want to discuss?

    "The nominees for induction into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame in 2018 were announced Thursday.

    This year's group includes 19 nominees from all different musical genres.

    They are:

    Bon Jovi
    Kate Bush
    The Cars
    Depeche Mode
    Dire Straits
    Eurythmics
    J. Geils Band
    Judas Priest
    LL Cool J
    MC5
    The Meters
    Moody Blues
    Radiohead
    Rage Against the Machine
    Rufus featuring Chaka Khan
    Nina Simone
    Sister Rosetta Tharpe
    Link Wray
    The Zombies

    To be eligible for nomination, an individual artist or band must have released its first commercial recording at least 25 years prior to the year of induction which means the 2018 nominees had to release their first official recording no later than 1992.
    Nine of the Class of 2018 nominees are first-timers to the list."

    http://www.cnn.com/2017/10/05/entert...ees/index.html
    Add skeeze666 to Rail
  2. meh
    Add Boutros to Rail
  3. I don't care how dorky it makes me I fucking love The Cars.

    I pay no attention to the rock hall tho one of the biggest jokes around, look no further than Judas Priest sitting there still as a nominee after being eligible for 20 years

    edit: lol moody blues too, just saw they're not in either yet apparently. FFS hall get it together
    Edited By: coolhandkev Oct 5th, 2017 at 08:35 PM
    Add coolhandkev to Rail
  4. Yeah I don't care about the Hall itself... Just no NQTW this month and knew a few OTers like to discuss music, so started the thread...
    Thread StarterAdd skeeze666 to Rail
  5. Add wackyJaxon to Rail
  6. WHERE THE FUCK IS IRON MAIDEN????????????
    Add Z-Fresh to Rail
  7.  
    Originally Posted by skeeze666 View Post

    They are:

    Bon Jovi- Probably deserve it
    Kate Bush-Fuck no
    The Cars- Fuck no. Some fun songs but not HOF worthy
    Depeche Mode- Depressed Mode? Fuck these guys too
    Dire Straits- Love em. I used to drink with the Jack the rhythm guitarists. He was my friend's boss at Guitar Center corporate
    Eurythmics- Fuck no
    J. Geils Band- Love em
    Judas Priest- Fuck yes
    LL Cool J- Fuck yes
    MC5- ABSOLUTELY!
    The Meters- Love em
    Moody Blues- Love em
    Radiohead- Fuck yes
    Rage Against the Machine- Fuck yes
    Rufus featuring Chaka Khan- Fuck no
    Nina Simone- is this real life?
    Sister Rosetta Tharpe- Huh?
    Link Wray- Oh, I'm being trolled now. I get it.
    The Zombies- Good one guys. You've had your fun

    .
    Edited By: Z-Fresh Oct 5th, 2017 at 09:02 PM
    Add Z-Fresh to Rail
  8. Article from last year:

    "The top 10 bands you wanted to see in the Hall Of Fame are:

    Iron Maiden
    Jethro Tull
    King Crimson
    Judas Priest
    Status Quo
    Blue Oyster Cult
    Free
    Styx
    Slade
    Def Leppard

    Let’s hope the organisers are listening in 2018."

    http://teamrock.com/feature/2016-10-...l-hall-of-fame
    Thread StarterAdd skeeze666 to Rail
  9.  
    Originally Posted by Z-Fresh View Post

    WHERE THE FUCK IS IRON MAIDEN????????????

    They've only been eligible for 15 years or so and yeah I know they sell out stadiums across the world and travel to each country in their own 757 plane piloted by their lead singer but they need to do a little more to impress the rock hall
    Add coolhandkev to Rail
  10.  
    Originally Posted by coolhandkev View Post

    They've only been eligible for 15 years or so and yeah I know they sell out stadiums across the world and travel to each country in their own 757 plane piloted by their lead singer but they need to do a little more to impress the rock hall

    Yeah, selling millions of albums worldwide and only playing massive stadiums in every European and South American city isn't as impressive Depeshe Mode video runs back in the day.
    Add Z-Fresh to Rail
  11.  
    Originally Posted by Z-Fresh View Post

    Yeah, selling millions of albums worldwide and only playing massive stadiums in every European and South American city isn't as impressive Depeshe Mode video runs back in the day.

    The most impressive thing to me about Maiden has always been their enormous worldwide success paired with the fact that they have ZERO radio play. Not many bands can explode without the help of radio basically by word of mouth and just always crushing live. Maybe dyz, willy or saxman if he's lurking can chime in about early 80s radio I'd be curious to know if like maybe Run to the Hills got radio play back then? Can't imagine any other Maiden songs would get touched by radio stations, definitely not Number of the Beast for obvious reasons. Maybe like Aces High or The Trooper?

    All I know is in my lifetime I've never once heard one Maiden song on terrestrial radio stations. Had to discover them on my own, thanks to their badass artwork it was easy to walk by an album and catch your eye.
    Add coolhandkev to Rail
  12. First off, the hall of fame is a joke; Greenday got in before Chicago.

    I do always like the ceremony though, usually well done.

    The Cars, certainly.

    I'm not sure J Geils band gets the nod, I mean I love "Full House" but really this band belongs in the Bar Band hall of fame.

    "Centerfold" was a joke song, but people think that is who they are.
    Add Mr323 to Rail
  13. Voted:

    Thank you for voting for

    THE CARS
    DEPECHE MODE
    EURYTHMICS
    THE METERS
    RUFUS FEATURING CHAKA KHAN
    Add p00pymcp00perton to Rail
  14.  
    Originally Posted by coolhandkev View Post

    The most impressive thing to me about Maiden has always been their enormous worldwide success paired with the fact that they have ZERO radio play. Not many bands can explode without the help of radio basically by word of mouth and just always crushing live. Maybe dyz, willy or saxman if he's lurking can chime in about early 80s radio I'd be curious to know if like maybe Run to the Hills got radio play back then? Can't imagine any other Maiden songs would get touched by radio stations, definitely not Number of the Beast for obvious reasons. Maybe like Aces High or The Trooper?

    All I know is in my lifetime I've never once heard one Maiden song on terrestrial radio stations. Had to discover them on my own, thanks to their badass artwork it was easy to walk by an album and catch your eye.


    Iron Maiden had plenty of airplay in Los Angeles back in the 80s. I can't speak to other regions.
    Add p00pymcp00perton to Rail
  15.  
    Originally Posted by p00pymcp00perton View Post

    Iron Maiden had plenty of airplay in Los Angeles back in the 80s. I can't speak to other regions.

    Thats good to know. LA in the 80s was a great place to be for music would kill to be able to go back in time to there
    Edited By: coolhandkev Oct 5th, 2017 at 09:40 PM
    Add coolhandkev to Rail
  16.  
    Originally Posted by coolhandkev View Post

    Thats good to know. LA in the 80s was a great place to be for music would kill to be able to go back in time to there


    KLOS and KROQ are still around but both were bought out by giant media conglomerates in the 1990s and are shells of their former selves. Before the buyouts, they played anything and everything and often unearthed little known bands to mega-stardom. I miss the days when radio stations had free reign to play what they want instead of obeying their corporate overlords. This is part of the reason why most music sucks these days.
    Add p00pymcp00perton to Rail
  17. Best hip-hop station of all time was 1580AM KDAY. Greg Mack "the Mack Attack" would play NWA records, before they were huge and notorious, not giving a fuck about the "offensive language". We really were spoiled with great radio back in the day.
    Edited By: p00pymcp00perton Oct 5th, 2017 at 09:47 PM
    Add p00pymcp00perton to Rail
  18.  
    Originally Posted by coolhandkev View Post

    The most impressive thing to me about Maiden has always been their enormous worldwide success paired with the fact that they have ZERO radio play. Not many bands can explode without the help of radio basically by word of mouth and just always crushing live. Maybe dyz, willy or saxman if he's lurking can chime in about early 80s radio I'd be curious to know if like maybe Run to the Hills got radio play back then? Can't imagine any other Maiden songs would get touched by radio stations, definitely not Number of the Beast for obvious reasons. Maybe like Aces High or The Trooper?

    All I know is in my lifetime I've never once heard one Maiden song on terrestrial radio stations. Had to discover them on my own, thanks to their badass artwork it was easy to walk by an album and catch your eye.

    They got a little airplay in LA growing up on a couple stations and Rock 105.3 in SD but hardly enough for them to gain popularity. It was only played for people who already loved them not really to discover them and days could go by before you heard their songs.
    Add Z-Fresh to Rail
  19.  
    Originally Posted by p00pymcp00perton View Post

    KLOS and KROQ are still around but both were bought out by giant media conglomerates in the 1990s and are shells of their former selves. Before the buyouts, they played anything and everything and often unearthed little known bands to mega-stardom. I miss the days when radio stations had free reign to play what they want instead of obeying their corporate overlords. This is part of the reason why most music sucks these days.

    Its why I am such an Eddie Trunk homer. His entire career has been about playing whatever he wants and hes helped countless bands get their name out. You also will never hear Welcome to the Jungle or TNT on his shows but you'll definitely hear deep tracks you've mistakingly overlooked.
    Add coolhandkev to Rail
  20. If Radiohead didn't go in first ballot, they should dig it up.
    Add resilient to Rail
  21. Not sure how Nina Simone gets included in Rock? I guess because she's being covered so much recently?

    Out of that list, I'm guessing Bon Jovi gets in (eww).

    Trying to think of a 3rd Moody Blues song and can't.

    My vote would be Judas Priest, Rage, MC5 and Dire Straits (Knopfler is instantly recognizable even when you don't know the song).

    I would be fine putting Tina Turner in, she rocked back in that day.
    Edited By: ginwilly Oct 5th, 2017 at 10:22 PM
    Add ginwilly to Rail
  22. Radiohead, Dire Straits, Judas Priest, Moody Blues, Cars
    Add resilient to Rail
  23.  
    Originally Posted by ginwilly View Post

    Trying to think of a 3rd Moody Blues song and can't.

    "I'm just a singer in a rock n roll band...."

    "Nights in white satin..."

    there have got to be more recognizable ones
    Edited By: resilient Oct 5th, 2017 at 10:26 PM
    Add resilient to Rail
  24. Tuesday Afternoon. OK, that's 3, anyone think of a 4th without looking it up?
    Add ginwilly to Rail
  25.  
    Originally Posted by resilient View Post

    "I'm just a singer in a rock n roll band...."

    "Nights in white satin..."

    there have got to be more recognizable ones


    Your Wildest Dreams
    Tuesday Afternoon
    I'm just a singer in a rock n roll band

    - This was top of my head
    Edited By: skeeze666 Oct 5th, 2017 at 10:26 PM
    Thread StarterAdd skeeze666 to Rail
  26. Tuesday afternoon and Question are the two other biggest hits but they have shit tons of great stuff. Days of future passed is a masterpiece of a concept album.
    Add coolhandkev to Rail
  27. Your Wildest Dreams I thought was his #2

    Also listen to "The Story in Your Eyes"... that's a good song and recognizable

    "Ride my See Saw"

    oh and QUESTION!
    Edited By: resilient Oct 5th, 2017 at 10:30 PM
    Add resilient to Rail
  28. Yep yep. The more that's mentioned the more I remember.
    Add ginwilly to Rail
  29.  
    Originally Posted by ginwilly View Post

    Yep yep. The more that's mentioned the more I remember.

    Go buy the Days of Future Passed album and put it on and kick yourself for being 50 years late but thank me for not being any later than that
    Add coolhandkev to Rail
  30. One of these days, one of the well past due bands need to go on stage and say "you know what - we should have been inducted years ago", list off a bunch of bands that should be in, and then say "we only accepted this so that we could get here on stage to say FUCK YOU JANN WENNER we don't want to be in this piece of shit hall - and that ladies and gentlemen, is what is at the heart of rock and roll."
     
    Add SpankyHamm to Rail