1. yeah the fall is usually really good for small/medium venue gigs.

Been jonesing to see Tesla lately lol- i gotta look them up
    Add kellykip to Rail
    Originally Posted by kellykip View Post

yeah the fall is usually really good for small/medium venue gigs.

Been jonesing to see Tesla lately lol- i gotta look them up

They actually opened the scorps show I was talking about above speaking of tesla. Not many better show openers than this one

Add coolhandkev to Rail
  3. lol fantasic song. btw, not sure if everyone gets the same advertisments when they click play on these, but the girl in the Macy's ad that came up for me on that video is fucking incredible. god she's perfect
    Add kellykip to Rail
  4. I got a state farm ad with a somewhat attractive girl in it
    Add coolhandkev to Rail
  5. Iron maiden is kind of corporate heavy metal

Wasn't Bruce Dickinson kind of a business man? They flew around in that big airplane and all that shit.
    Add XXEDPXX to Rail
    Originally Posted by XXEDPXX View Post

Iron maiden is kind of corporate heavy metal

Wasn't Bruce Dickinson kind of a business man? They flew around in that big airplane and all that shit.

They are HOF material. Their 1st 2 records pre-Bruce with Paul Di'Anno might very well be the best 2 records they ever put out. And Peace of Mind and Number of the Beast are amazing amazing records so that's saying a lot. Have toured the world for decades to huge crowds, and have a bass player who might be the best who has ever played rock - he's at least in the conversation.

Their drummer is also on a pretty short list, near the bottom of the group of the best drummers.
    Add kellykip to Rail
    Originally Posted by coolhandkev View Post

I got a state farm ad with a somewhat attractive girl in it

damn, Ima find this ad somewhere. what a beuaty
    Add kellykip to Rail
  8. When I was a freshman in high school I took this journalism class. On the first day on school we had to partner up, learn about our partner and then present what they told us about them to the class.

The dude I was paired up with enjoyed drawing and was really into the moody blues. I guess he heard them on a summer trip in his parents car and liked them so he would draw portraits of the band. He had a notebook with a bunch of portraits he had done of each member. I had to present his Moody Blues portraits to the class. Good times.

Anyway, he kind of had a long, stretched out face. these asshole guys I was friends with used to always be like "David, why the long face?" He was a cool guy though. Kids are dicks.
    Add XXEDPXX to Rail
  9. Derek Riggs should get into the hall too for the GOAT artwork
    Add coolhandkev to Rail
  10. yeah kids fucking suck. That's why I don't care much when I see a mother yanking her kid by the arm, or smacking her kid around on the subway or bus. Little asshole almost definitely deserved it.
    Add kellykip to Rail

They are HOF material. Their 1st 2 records pre-Bruce with Paul Di'Anno might very well be the best 2 records they ever put out. And Peace of Mind and Number of the Beast are amazing amazing records so that's saying a lot. Have toured the world for decades to huge crowds, and have a bass player who might be the best who has ever played rock - he's at least in the conversation.

Their drummer is also on a pretty short list, near the bottom of the group of the best drummers.

That's less my opinion about and more just how I would guess they are perceived by some.

Im not knocking them. Well, I guess I sort of am. It's just metal has this independence to it. It's supposed to be anti corporate or whatever. Maiden was metal, but they were sort of corporate too. With the logos and the marketing and stuff. You look at Bruce and you don't really think metal, idk.

And yeah, obv there's an iron maiden before Bruce Dickinson.

Kind of the same boat as Metallica. Still loved but maybe have turned a lot of pure metal people off over the years.
    Edited By: XXEDPXX Oct 6th, 2017 at 05:06 PM
    Add XXEDPXX to Rail
  12. ah got it. yeah that might be true, but KISS still got in, so corporate image isn't necessarily a deal breaker. Not everyone is the Sex Pistols.

Also the fact that Judas Priest isn't in kills Maiden's chances. As great as Maiden is, there isn't any way to objectively rank them on even terms with Judas Priest
    Edited By: kellykip Oct 6th, 2017 at 05:01 PM
    Add kellykip to Rail
    Originally Posted by coolhandkev View Post

I don't care that you don't like them, I'm not a huge fan and actually think they're a bit overrated in general, but the fact that you listen(ed) to the genre and have never heard of them is absolutely mind bottlingly impossible. They are a HUGE name to have never heard of. I can see you saying "wow I've never heard of April Wine" or something. A band you probably would catch being into classic rock but they aren't American and don't get a ton of play here. But Chicago? Saturday in the Park? Beginnings? 25 or 6 to 4? Those songs are played constantly, odds have to be in the hundreds of millions to have never heard them.

I feel like if you put a gun to my head and said, "Was a band named Chicago a classic rock band?" I might have said yes but I could not tell you a single thing about them. I may have heard those songs before but when I listened to them and paid attention last night they sounded completely new to me. Like I said, they are forgettable and I have a hard time with the singer's voice. I tried to recognize a song but couldn't. Ya, I was fairly mindblown about this last night.

Never heard of April Wine. Again, I never claimed to be some music expert but I could prob name songs, albums, and give a paragraph or more of info on every major band from the 60s, 70s, 80s....except Chicago.
    Edited By: Boutros Oct 6th, 2017 at 05:03 PM
    Add Boutros to Rail
    Originally Posted by Boutros View Post

I could prob name songs, albums, and give a paragraph or more of info on every major band from the 60s, 70s, 80s....except Chicago.

That's the weird part. It's like your brain decided to just block out sound waves that came from Chicago songs.
    Add coolhandkev to Rail

I feel like if you put a gun to my head and said, "Was a band named Chicago a classic rock band?" I might have said yes but I could not tell you a single thing about them. I may have heard those songs before but when I listened to them and paid attention last night they sounded completely new to me.

that is fair. I felt the same when I listened to them; obviously I knew who they were, but when their songs came on, i kinda glossed over. Was in no way memorable to me, but i knew they were huge and a lot of people were crazy about them. Like Hall and Oates with a little less testosterone and a few more instruments
    Add kellykip to Rail
  16. My favorite Chicago joints were the stuff they put together for the karate kid part 2

Edit: sorry, it was peter centera doing solo stuff on the soundtrack. Band didn't get credit

Moody blues was on the soundtrack as well. It all comes full circle
    Edited By: XXEDPXX Oct 6th, 2017 at 05:13 PM
    Add XXEDPXX to Rail
  17. Yeah I'm not going to get self righteous on Voors but it just seems like it is on the impossible level to 1) be your age 2) say you listened to tons of classic rock and 3) be alive - and not know of Chicago. Like 'em or not, they have always been there and will always be there.

Sort of like if someone who was 35 told me they had absolutely no idea who Kim Kardashian was... Don't care if they know anything about her, but they certainly know of her...right?

Ok ok, I get it... I'm being obtuse or something... KK would be more akin to Rolling Stones or something, but you'd probably at least be aware of the Kardashian family, in general, right?

Man I wish I was drunk right now.
    Thread StarterAdd skeeze666 to Rail
  18. Even though they're enormous hits (again overrated to me personally but they're still huge hits) I can get not letting a lot of their radio hits not sink in and not care to look into what band is playing them etc. but I can't get passed not hearing or knowing who sings Saturday in the Park. That is rightfully so a mega hit and one that you'll hear in movies and TV shows and shit too because it's so pleasant and applicable to scenes where people are walking in parks on a Saturday etc.
    Add coolhandkev to Rail
  19. Meh, there's no way he hasn't heard 25 or 6 to 4 a hundred times. He's just being difficult now cause I guess in his head it's cool to claim he's never heard of them.
    Add XXEDPXX to Rail
  20. I was just told that I def knew this one:

Wtf....no. The problem here might be that all of these songs are completely forgettable.

Originally Posted by XXEDPXX View Post

Meh, there's no way he hasn't heard 25 or 6 to 4 a hundred times. He's just being difficult now cause I guess in his head it's cool to claim he's never heard of them.

Is that the greenday one? All I could think of was the greenday song lol. It rang no other bells.
    Add Boutros to Rail
  21. you guys are all older or like kev who is a music expert. I'm gonna need jaybone and the like to come in here and help me out.
    Add Boutros to Rail
  22. Type o negative snubbed. Boycotting rrhof
    Add Mr. Blonde to Rail

can't cosign that one

Hanoi Rocks is band just saying this city rocks. Not named after the city. New York Dolls are a band named after dolls that happen to be from New York and same for LA Guns only guns not dolls. My theory still stands.
    Add Z-Fresh to Rail

I was just told that I def knew this one:

Wtf....no. The problem here might be that all of these songs are completely forgettable.

Is that the greenday one? All I could think of was the greenday song lol. It rang no other bells.

No that's bullshit. These are the two you should have heard no questions asked:

Then a bunch of songs that are surprising you've never heard but not mind blowing.

This one has always been one of my favorites by them but again not one I'm shocked you wouldn't know

Add coolhandkev to Rail
    Originally Posted by Mr. Blonde View Post

Type o negative snubbed. Boycotting rrhof

extremely innovative. not even homering
    Add kellykip to Rail
  26. I bet my grandma and teenage nieces all know who Chicago is. One of the top all-time album sales worldwide, top 10 in the US. For someone in my age group it would be like not hearing of the Temptations (not even close to the album sales of Chicago). They rank right behind Clapton and ahead of Rod Stewart and Prince.

I'm older than you, my blind-spot was classic country, I guess yours was that easy rock from the 70's. April Wine was in my wheelhouse, they helped me get laid (just between you and me). Other long forgotten similar acts were Triumph and Night Ranger.

Before they were Chicago, they were the Chicago Transit Authority. "Does anybody really know what time it is" and "I'm a Man" (yes, I am, but I can't help but love you so).. ring a bell?

Peter Cetera had a decent solo career too
    Add ginwilly to Rail
    Originally Posted by ginwilly View Post

I bet my grandma and teenage nieces all know who Chicago is. One of the top all-time album sales worldwide, top 10 in the US. For someone in my age group it would be like not hearing of the Temptations (not even close to the album sales of Chicago). They rank right behind Clapton and ahead of Rod Stewart and Prince.

I'm older than you, my blind-spot was classic country, I guess yours was that easy rock from the 70's. April Wine was in my wheelhouse, they helped me get laid (just between you and me). Other long forgotten similar acts were Triumph and Night Ranger.

Before they were Chicago, they were the Chicago Transit Authority. "Does anybody really know what time it is" and "I'm a Man" (yes, I am, but I can't help but love you so).. ring a bell?

Peter Cetera had a decent solo career too

On the list of rock songs under 3 minutes that get right to the point this is one of my favorites

Add coolhandkev to Rail
  28. Damn ginwilly you're bringing up the memories... Bob Seger is what got me laid more than a few times in my youth. Amazing that Night Moves isn't really a song girls should love if they listen to the lyrics, but it always seemed to work.

Bob Seger Lyrics
    "Night Moves"

I was a little too tall
    Could've used a few pounds
    Tight pants points hardly reknown
    She was a black-haired beauty with big dark eyes
    And points all her own sitting way up high
    Way up firm and high

Out past the cornfields where the woods got heavy
    Out in the back seat of my '60 Chevy
    Workin' on mysteries without any clues
    Workin' on our night moves
    Tryin' to make some front page drive-in news
    In the summertime
    In the sweet summertime

We weren't in love, oh no, far from it
    We weren't searchin' for some pie in the sky summit
    We were just young and restless and bored
    Livin' by the sword
    And we'd steal away every chance we could
    To the backroom, to the alley or the trusty woods
    I used her, she used me
    But neither one cared
    We were gettin' our share
    Tryin' to lose the awkward teenage blues
    And it was summertime
    Sweet summertime summertime

And oh the wonder
    We felt the lightning
    And we waited on the thunder
    Waited on the thunder

I awoke last night to the sound of thunder
    How far off I sat and wondered
    Started humming a song from 1962
    Ain't it funny how the night moves
    When you just don't seem to have as much to lose
    Strange how the night moves
    With autumn closing in
    Edited By: skeeze666 Oct 6th, 2017 at 05:35 PM
    Thread StarterAdd skeeze666 to Rail
  29. I had a friend I grew up with who would only have sex with his girlfriend if Bob Segar playing. It was the oddest and best thing I've ever heard in my life. It was confirmed by the girlfriend after they broke up.
    Add Z-Fresh to Rail
  30. Oh yeah, I'm from Detroit, Seger is God there.

My brother graduated in the 70's and says Night Moves led him to Paradise by the Dashboard Lights (now he's praying for the end of time). Got married at 18....

Before Bob Seger was famous (The Bob Seger System) he released an underground Vietnam protest song that sold about 50,000 copies, unheard of sales at the time. So 60's sounding.

Enjoy a Bob Seger song you've probably never heard of.
    Add ginwilly to Rail
Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 92 3 4 5 6