1. So hopefully a few hockey faithful move over to here and we can get a hockey thread going. The one for this year didnt get much traction and i have to admit I haven't been able to watch as many games as I would have liked this year because I have been busy

However, I am going to start this thread off with a Consipracy discussion topic

So here is my thought on the Toronto Maple Leafs and their continual fall to the basement of the league

Remember back during the Lockouti in 2005 when the NHL had to hold the Entry Draft and they did a lottery where every team had a shot at the first pic (because there was no season). They had a ranking formula that gave worse team some better odds, but everyone got a shot.

Also, lets remember that Sidney Crosby was the guy going first overall.

Well, as the announcement played out, low and behold, the Pittsburgh Penguins, the team that needed Sidney Crosby because Mario Lemiuex couldnt even get them a new stadium, won the lottery.....how convenient was that considering their was talk that hockey was dying in Pittsburgh and the team was going to move, etc etc......they just happened to get "The Next One"

Fast forward to this year. NHL this year changed the lottery so ANY team that is in the lottery has a shot at the first pick. In previous years if you won the lottery you could only move up 3 pics, so if you finished 5th, you would pick 2nd if you won.

Is it coincidence that the Leafs all of a sudden suck real bad the year that anyone gets a shot. They have sucked in other years, but always finished 7th-12th worst or whatever (not close enough for first pick), but now they look to finish maybe 4th or 5th worst and how convenient, they will get a shot at the fist pick because the NHL changed the rules (and good odds as it looks like the top 5 teams have decent chance to get picked)

So I wont be very surprised if the lottery ends up rigged and Leafs get McDavid or Eichel at #1 or #2 "beating the odds"

Discuss among yourselves!

Go Flames
    Edited By: Harp221122 Feb 21st, 2015 at 11:33 PM
    Add Harp221122 to Rail
  2. Good job starting the thread Harps. I hope it gets interest. I always loved the hockey threads in SO.

As for your discussion, I doubt the shit's rigged but I can't really remember a year where so many teams seem to be tanking so early to get a shot at great picks in a very decent draft year. I think the loafs are willing to do whatever it takes to get their hands on McDavid, including parting ways with Kessel, Lupul, or Phaneuf (stupid contract notwithstanding).

I'll be honest when I say I was somewhat torn between my Flyers tanking 10 games ago or giving it a shot. I'm glad they have chosen the latter. It just seems more honorable to fight for a playoff spot no matter how futile it may seem in January. Right now I love the Flyers integrity here.

A big SO win over the Preds today puts us just four back of the Bruins and the final PO spot. It's been a sick run for us and only losing once in regulation (if memory serves me correct) over our last 10 games has given me hope at least. Especially with 23 games still left to play.

Fuck tanking. Go Flyers!
    Add xfishnutzx to Rail
  3. Canucks?
    Add ChristaBorg to Rail
    Originally Posted by xfishnutzx View Post

Good job starting the thread Harps. I hope it gets interest. I always loved the hockey threads in SO.

As for your discussion, I doubt the shit's rigged but I can't really remember a year where so many teams seem to be tanking so early to get a shot at great picks in a very decent draft year. I think the loafs are willing to do whatever it takes to get their hands on McDavid, including parting ways with Kessel, Lupul, or Phaneuf (stupid contract notwithstanding).

I'll be honest when I say I was somewhat torn between my Flyers tanking 10 games ago or giving it a shot. I'm glad they have chosen the latter. It just seems more honorable to fight for a playoff spot no matter how futile it may seem in January. Right now I love the Flyers integrity here.

A big SO win over the Preds today puts us just four back of the Bruins and the final PO spot. It's been a sick run for us and only losing once in regulation (if memory serves me correct) over our last 10 games has given me hope at least. Especially with 23 games still left to play.

Fuck tanking. Go Flyers!

Just saying the conspiracy theorist in me see the stars aligning for the NHL wanting mcDavid in Toronto, not Buffalo, and making it happen.......

Its definitely weird for me having to check the standings daily to see where the Flames are, such a dog fight in the west.

Considering where we were picked to finish, the fact we have been holding on this long is amazing, I hope we find a way to sneak in. Last time we were picked to finish last in the west, we went to the Stanley Cup Final....so there's that
    Thread StarterAdd Harp221122 to Rail
  5. All I know is I attended a game (NHL) for the first time since 99. It was the Coyotes vs Avs. the Avs held the Coyotes to 0 shots on goal in the second period, the first time in franchise history that they had done that (8 times they held an opponent to 1 shot on goal in a period).

The only conclusion I can make is. I'm Awesome.
    Add nalai550 to Rail
    Originally Posted by ChristaBorg View Post

Canucks?

6 teams within 3 points of that final birth in the west. You and Harps among them. Dogfight?

Originally Posted by Harp221122 View Post

Just saying the conspiracy theorist in me see the stars aligning for the NHL wanting mcDavid in Toronto, not Buffalo, and making it happen.......

Its definitely weird for me having to check the standings daily to see where the Flames are, such a dog fight in the west.

Considering where we were picked to finish, the fact we have been holding on this long is amazing, I hope we find a way to sneak in. Last time we were picked to finish last in the west, we went to the Stanley Cup Final....so there's that

Yup. Dogfight.

Originally Posted by nalai550 View Post

All I know is I attended a game (NHL) for the first time since 99. It was the Coyotes vs Avs. the Avs held the Coyotes to 0 shots on goal in the second period, the first time in franchise history that they had done that (8 times they held an opponent to 1 shot on goal in a period).

The only conclusion I can make is. I'm Awesome.

well... Awesome it is then.

Oh and Flyers win again... just sayin'.
    Edited By: xfishnutzx Feb 24th, 2015 at 05:16 AM
    Add xfishnutzx to Rail
  7. Edited By: xfishnutzx Feb 24th, 2015 at 05:20 AM
    Add xfishnutzx to Rail
  8. Add wackyJaxon to Rail
  9. wtf Flyers?

Beat Nashville, beat Washington, lose to Carolina.

We master calculus and fail at basic arithmetic.
    Add xfishnutzx to Rail
  10. Few trades today

Sereka to Kings for first rounder...be interesting if the kings miss the playoffs and bink the lottery Canes could pick 1-2 if there is no lottery protection on the pick lol

Tlusty to Winnipeg for some picks

Winnik to Pens for Sill and some picks (pretty good return for Toronto here)
  11. And the twitter universe and Toronto blows up as the leafs move the unmoveable contract and ship David Clarkson to the Blue Jackets for Nathan Horton who might not play again
  12. omg we lost to the loafs.

low point of my year so far.

cap space save for the loafs with the trade of Clarkson. Some people calling it brilliant on Nonis part.

we'll see
    Add xfishnutzx to Rail
  13. Toronto Sun says he should get a medal.
    Add xfishnutzx to Rail

Some people calling it brilliant on Nonis part.

we'll see

Toronto Sun says he should get a medal.

Ya pretty funny since it had nothing to do with Nonis lol. All real reports say that Columbus approached the Leafs and proposed the deal

How much praying you think Leafs brass did before they went to Clarkson to ask him to waive no trade clause

Please say yes, please say yes, please say yes.

All joking aside, good deal for both teams as Horton deal not insured so Columbus was going to have to pay him to sit in stands, which they cant afford, so they get a roster player

Deep pockets still rule NHL
  15. oh and lol flyers

oh and lol flyers

This

and we trade Kimmo to the hawks... are we tanking now? Seems a little late boys to start this shit. for what? a mid to late first rounder this year, and a gtd 2nd round pick?

bahahahahahaha

Still tho, I hope this draft is as deep as I think it is.
    Add xfishnutzx to Rail

This

and we trade Kimmo to the hawks... are we tanking now? Seems a little late boys to start this shit. for what? a mid to late first rounder this year, and a gtd 2nd round pick?

bahahahahahaha

Still tho, I hope this draft is as deep as I think it is.

i actually like this move. He hasnt played all year, maybe he comes back fine, maybe he doesnt. I dont think its tanking now or giving up, but getting two assets for a guy who everyone knows is going to retire at the end of the year whether you make the playoffs or not, cant really walk from that

I agree if he is back in form, then he can certainly help flyer blueline, but with only one game to decide that before the deadline and someone who wants him, i think you take the picks
  18. also, took me longer to find because capgeek is no longer active, but Flyers, with timonen coming back had 9 defencemen on their roster under contract. 6 of which are signed for next year still. So getting rid of one or even another one for some assets wouldn't hurt

the 6 that are signed doesnt include del zotto who of late has been their best defencemen from what i have read so assuming they are going to resign him, it gives them some flexibilty
  19. Vermette traded to Chicago

Fleischmenn goes to Anahiem

they saying bruins going to announce a trade in next hour....and then i see this funny tweet:

The Royal Half ?@theroyalhalf 19m19 minutes ago
    You can actually hear the sadness in each Sportsnet personality’s voice when they annouce a big trade before Monday morning.

i actually like this move. He hasnt played all year, maybe he comes back fine, maybe he doesnt. I dont think its tanking now or giving up, but getting two assets for a guy who everyone knows is going to retire at the end of the year whether you make the playoffs or not, cant really walk from that

I agree if he is back in form, then he can certainly help flyer blueline, but with only one game to decide that before the deadline and someone who wants him, i think you take the picks

You are pretty much bang on with all your points Harps. I'm gonna miss him as a fan though. I always liked watching him play hockey. Had good sense.

In tough against the Rangers tonight.

also, took me longer to find because capgeek is no longer active, but Flyers, with timonen coming back had 9 defencemen on their roster under contract. 6 of which are signed for next year still. So getting rid of one or even another one for some assets wouldn't hurt

the 6 that are signed doesnt include del zotto who of late has been their best defencemen from what i have read so assuming they are going to resign him, it gives them some flexibilty

ter some

Yeah Del Zotto getting some good press after some bad press. Getting something for a guy that is pretty much gonna hang em up soon is most definitely upside. If your gonna tank tho...

It will be interesting to see what Chicago does with the Kane hole. That's a big hole.

Oh and McDavid just cranked 100. That end to end was pretty if you saw it. Nice four goal six point night too.

Vermette traded to Chicago

Fleischmenn goes to Anahiem

they saying bruins going to announce a trade in next hour....and then i see this funny tweet:

The Royal Half ?@theroyalhalf 19m19 minutes ago
    You can actually hear the sadness in each Sportsnet personality’s voice when they annouce a big trade before Monday morning.

Vermette doesn't quite fit that hole.

Remember when Heatley was good?

and lol as TSN gears up for another "nothing"

We'll see
    Add xfishnutzx to Rail
  21. You know how you stop tanking? Give the team that was closest to making the playoffs, but not... the first pick.

Then go from there.

Fuck Edmonton.
    Add xfishnutzx to Rail
  22. ....cause then I'd love our chances of getting our hands on that kid. Yeah, he's that good. Gold Medal Boo yah!
    Add xfishnutzx to Rail

Vermette doesn't quite fit that hole.

ya i mean is there really a way you can fill Kane's shoes? he is by far the MVP of Chicago this year, not something you can replace. They paid pretty steep for Vermette who will add to their team in a bunch of capacities (pp, pk, faceoffs) but not the scoring side

I was really surprised to not hear their name involved with Jagr. Obviously he is alot slower than he used to be, but frrom a pure offensive perspective (if they are trying to fill that void) he looked to be the best option and could have got him alot cheaper and had less impact on the cap (although cap not issue when they moved Kane to LTIR).

I think on a team like Chicago, Jagr could have got it done over a rejuvinated short term of 4-6 weeks

And ya, Heatley......still gettin paid
  24. Winners and losers at the trade deadline:

Winners:

Coyotes - Two first round picks, top prospect Anthony Duclair and a very decent shot at McDavid or Eichel.

Sabres -I like the Kane deal and and the small mountain of draft picks they now have. Throw in the stockpile of impressive young players they already have along with the strong possibility they end up with McDavid or Eichel as well, and this will be a team to watch in the future.

Leafs - Getting rid of Clarkson and that redic contract is a miracle in and of itself. Toss in what will probably be an unloading of Kessel and Phanuef before the draft and cash rich Toronto might be in a position to make some serious rebuilding noise.

Now, so much for the tankers how about the teams that want to win this year?

Chicago - Holes were filled. Next to Nashville, the Hawks might just have the strongest D in the game now.

Detroit - Speed and toughness with Cole, steady acquisition in Zidlicky to shore up their D and Detroit could make some playoff noise.

Losers:

Boston - for doing nothing. Talbot? whatever. Look for heads to roll if Bruins don't make the playoffs which could very well happen with Florida breathing down their necks ( a team that did make some moves).

Edmonton - Why this team insists on keeping their core players who just continue to prove that they can't get it done is beyond me. Worst franchise evah.

San Jose - Shepard, Kennedy, Hamilton, and Desjardins for who? ...exactly

New York Rangers - Some will not agree with this one. Ok so Yandle makes that D pretty impressive and Shephard will help, but trading Duclair seems nutty. Throw in parting with Moore, Stempniak, a first round pick, a conditional second, and a fourth and this was not Sather's finest hour. This is a team that wants to win now and obviously prepared to mortgage the future to do it.

TSN - bahahahaha - 3 tables of pundits not quite sure what to say to fill up all this non-event boredom. Spending endless hours going over the same old shit and you are left with a disaster and no way out. Just like last year, and the year before that, and the year before that, and the... oh, I'm sorry... am I repeating myself?

and finally...

wtf is going on in Chicago? It seems that Patrick Sharpe is going five hole on his team mates wives and girlfriends. Rumor has it that Mrs Keith, Patty Kanes gf, and a hot Chicago newscaster have all been on the receiving end of Sharpes dick slinging. Of course everybody in the Hawks organization says "untrue" but hey... why would Chicago ask him to waive his no trade clause in the 11th hour?

Somethin' aint right... 'cause someones lyin'.

Rumors be ruminating.
    Add xfishnutzx to Rail
  25. now... with all that said and done, perhaps the highlight of the trade deadline was the Jordan Leopold trade. Sometimes we forget the human element for players having to uproot from their families to go to a different city. Jordan Leopold's daughter brought it all home.

Literally.

That was some letter and with it... a happy ending that would making even the most hardened hockey fan just a little misty.

Well played Minny. Well played.
    Edited By: xfishnutzx Mar 3rd, 2015 at 05:05 AM
    Add xfishnutzx to Rail
  26. its, uh, a little dusty in here right now...
    Add ChristaBorg to Rail
    Originally Posted by ChristaBorg View Post

its, uh, a little dusty in here right now...

Well, you've been too busy winning to contribute I'm guessing.

Either that, or you're still pissed that Patrick Sharpe was bangin' your mom.
    Add xfishnutzx to Rail
  28. Chris is right, Ima doofus.

"Dusty" means weepy, not tumbleweeds. post moar please.

...and those things I said about your mom? yeah, they're all rumors. Harps mom tho? I'm not so sure.
    Add xfishnutzx to Rail
  29. Oh and Kessel snapped today...
    Add xfishnutzx to Rail
  30. ...he should take his anger out on the treadmill
    Add xfishnutzx to Rail