1. So since I am on an overnight work trip, stuck in a hotel, I thought I would log in to the old ACR for giggles. I bought into the $10, $7500 gtd and was playing fairly solid for the entire tournament. Just focusing on position, easy chip pick-ups, playing different players based on my observations and their stacks not just my cards. Well all was going pretty well, I got myself to top 8 with 64 remaining....

So whenever I talk tournament strategy I always say that if you have a big stack late in a tournament that there is no reason to risk your chips in unnecessary spots and what do I do... I risk my chips against another big stack in an unnecessary spot. The guy had 3 bet me on 3/4 of my last opens and my ego just decided that he was messing with me. Maybe he was maybe he wasn't, but I knew better and should have just folded. I am hoping with the new work schedule that I can play a tourney randomly every month, but next time I will stick to the plan. I know better and the goal is to final table not a $24 consolation prize.

Guys/Gals follow your plans, and if you find yourself in a moment that makes you want to deviate take a deep breath, swallow the ego, and ask that question is this the right move for my goals?
    Add DaddyDuck to Rail
  2. As much flack as millennials get from older generations about their lack of financial savvy, the truth is that many are actually anxious about their financial futures. With our rapidly evolving economy, increasing demands on people’s time and money, and near-insurmountable levels of competition for well-paid jobs, it’s no surprise that millennials are struggling to keep cash in their pockets.

Add this to the general lack of financial knowledge common among young people – no matter the generation – and you get an emerging population that can make a lot of mistakes about their finances. Luckily, by starting early enough and with the right information, millennials can avoid these mistakes that can derail their future financial stability. Here are a few common errors millennials make with their money, and tips on how to correct them – or, even better, avoid them entirely.
    + 1
    raise
    Raise
    Add Lena01 to Rail
  3. I dont use the raise button a lot,but just now i raised Lena01. I dont know why.
    Add vandenboss to Rail
  4. This post sounds pretty results oriented and it's not clear how you will avoid whatever mistake you think you made. You are much better off sharing the mistake you believe you made and we can discuss it as a group and learn from it. As of now, I'm not convinced you made a mistake, only that you lost a pot and feel badly about it. I also disagree with this idea you are presenting that you should run up a big stack and then sit on your hands. There is a strategy and explanation for every action and if you have these beliefs about avoiding variance, that in itself is the leak - the issue is with your mindset rather than technical play. Make sense?

The last part of what you said regarding taking your time and deep breathing is good advice. We should all remember to do this more, especially late in tournaments after we've played hundreds of hands and inevitably endured a lot of swings.

+ 1
    raise
    Raise
    Add negrealanu to Rail
  5. Hey negrealanu,

I hear what you are saying. From your perspective I can see how you would think this is results oriented thinking, but what I am referring to is when we deviate from our plan (whatever that plan may be) because of how we are perceiving a particular moment. The reason why I did't detail the hand, is because I just wanted all of my fellow Pocketfivers that are consistently looking for ways to improve, to reflect for a moment on the times when they knowingly made a mistake. The closer we get to acknowledging those moments the better we have at reducing them in the future.

As far as my tournament strategy, I am not talking about sitting on hands... all I am saying is avoiding collisions with stacks that can severely impact you. At this stage in the tournament (my perspective) it makes more sense to pick up easy uncontested pots as much as possible.
    Raise
    Thread StarterAdd DaddyDuck to Rail