1. Played for 2-3 years with little success, taken a year out, lost the appetite to play, recently started again but want to do it properly in more of a study way. Not sure where to start, so many videos, books out there, I'd like to learn more about ev, push/fold charts, brm etc. Even though I'm not a novice I still feel a little lost like I need a structured programme, any online courses or advice?

Cheers

Chapps30
    Add Chapps30 to Rail
  2. I would highly suggest finding a study group or a poker coach. Iron sharpens Iron. In my experience the most effective way to get better by far

Add GodsBigToe to Rail
  3. Hey Chapps,
    Firstly, forget books, it's the 21st century!! Second, join "runitonce", brilliant value for only $10 per month, tonnes of stuff on there! Also, join Upswing Poker, Doug Polks website, just by signing up you get emailed loads of good stuff. Just google Push/fold chart and "floattheturn" website comes up, just keep that open in a window and study it! As for br management, 100bbs, simple. I have $700 in my br and I play, $1,$2,$3.50,$5, and the occasional $7.50, if I'm feeling brave!! If you can afford it of course, there's always one on one coaching which will improve your game dramatically.
    Good luck. Up The Exiles!
    + 3
    raises
    Raise
    Add conners1973 to Rail
  4. runitonce has structured learning paths, but you can tell they've just thrown them together after the fact rather than having designed a curriculum with some kind of plan prior to creating the videos. TPE might be better in that respect, I'm really not sure as I haven't tried their site. Upswing poker lab is another one with Doug Poke.

Doing hand history reviews & EV calculations with players you know are consistent and current winning regs is probably the best way to go, as conners said. Find a good Skype group, just be careful because everyone thinks they are a pro in this game and there's more arrogance than their is solid advice more often than not. Use some kind of selectivity filter and if people can't explain to you logically why what they are saying is good advice, in a way that you can understand, be skeptical. Ask more questions until you understand or until you are satisfied that they don't know what they're talking about.

Raise
    Add CheapTorque to Rail
  5. Add 1SBINLET1 to Rail
  6. dude just my thoughts, but if you still are asking yourself such basic questions its prolly not worth it to invest a bucnh of your time and effort into crushing online poker. i could be wrong for sure, thats just my initialk thgouths from reading your OP. if you really like poker though, and enjoy studying and improving then maybe its not such a bad idea. i mean it wont be easy but if you enjoy it then it cant be that bad. GL

+ 6
    raises
    Raise
    Add StrugLife to Rail
  7. YouTube maybe??
    Add antony1988 to Rail
    Originally Posted by StrugLife View Post

dude just my thoughts, but if you still are asking yourself such basic questions its prolly not worth it to invest a bucnh of your time and effort into crushing online poker. i could be wrong for sure, thats just my initialk thgouths from reading your OP. if you really like poker though, and enjoy studying and improving then maybe its not such a bad idea. i mean it wont be easy but if you enjoy it then it cant be that bad. GL

This is pretty true. But prove the nay-sayers wrong. Not that StrugLife is a nay-sayer. Find the fire inside, form a study group with people on your level, beat your head against the wall until sh*t starts making sense, watch videos people have mentioned, bring in a coach when you understand what value they will bring and then after a couple thousand hours later you'll hopefully be on the right side of variance to where you'll stick with it.

+ 3
    raises
    Raise
    Add negrealanu to Rail
    Originally Posted by negrealanu View Post

and then after a couple thousand hours later you'll hopefully be on the right side of variance to where you'll stick with it.

This made me laugh my head off! But so true!
    Add samj123 to Rail
  10. Everyone can improve their game if they study hard and do reviews. That said, be sure your mental game isn't a large part of what's keeping you from being a winning player.

I myself took a 2 year break and have recently came back to the game. I have found I like the free stuff from UpSwing poker better than a lot of stuff I've used/subscribed to in the past. I haven't, and likely won't, subscribe but their freebies are great.

I agree about a study group, that's what help me the most in the past. Good luck!

+ 2
    raises
    Raise
    Add DiamondDixie to Rail
  11. Jump right in lol !https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jiPmaif9szQ

Btw, books are still valid, also in the 21 century ! Read D. Harrington on Tournament poker vol 1 to 3. I see a lot of players in this forum struggle with problems that they wouldent have had when they'd read something like this.
    Edited By: vandenboss 2 Weeks Ago at 11:10 AM
    + 2
    raises
    Raise
    Add vandenboss to Rail
  12. I've been readings books and watching videos. Some times ill just throw on some ones stream and watch them play.

I find that you'll pick stuff up here and there while studying books, forums or observing an other players game .

You might not like or understand everything your reading, but you might find some useful information that you would like to try or it'll just simply makes sense to you.
    Raise
    Add AllinCow to Rail
  13. Thanks all for the advice, appreciate it.
    Thread StarterAdd Chapps30 to Rail
  14. Do they have study groups on Skype, never really used it.
    Thread StarterAdd Chapps30 to Rail