1. Just wanted to put this out there. I understand time is valuable. But if there are any Great players who I guess.. (Want to practice being a coach) Or willing to give some advice, I am all ears.

    I've played my whole life. I feel I have hit a wall in my game. Once Blinds go up, I tend to tighten up more than I would like.

    I want to get better, I am open to suggestions.

    Any certain Book, or Video that would help me?

    I usually play tournaments.

    Thank you for your time.
    Add BuscemiS19 to Rail
  2. Also, I really enjoy watching people on Stream. Twitch or whatever. Can someone please give me a couple names of people I might learn from?>
    Thread StarterAdd BuscemiS19 to Rail
  3. PocketFives provides a directory of coaches here:

    https://www.pocketfives.com/coaches/

    Good luck!
    Add mikewebb68 to Rail
  4. To bad you didnt have a tracker for those years you played, start using a tracker!!, its a poker lie detector!!...Your a tournament guy right? Pull the winners and biggest earners names and watch all the reruns and read all the stuff they say...Theres a visable thread you must weave to get deep in most of your tourneys... watch a shit ton of it, especially from the top guys who do commentary on their stuff..that stuff is gold man...Somewhere you can find your problem and fix it..

    I love the sunday mill replays...At one point I had seen them all a few times...

    I loved dragthebar.com there was a couple coaches there that would share their lifetime graphing results...quite a few interesting lessons in there..
    Raise
    Add tripseekerx to Rail
  5. If I remember correctly, Harrington on Holdem 1 or 2 had some pretty cool charts for what hands to play by possition vs your BB's etc etc...Heck just follow that and you'll be good...

    Thats is, untill your deep 50 people left or something forget harrinton (lol)...you gotta play the table dynamic no matter what from there for sure...Um, as a long time senior student...one of the 'secrets' would be....now, i got serious hours into this..like valuable hours...ehh hummm..ah hack ah hack////and ima give to you for free!!

    Ok , i'l give ya a secret..(theres not many!!!)

    Make good hands..Long term stats of long term players suggest this..Make good hands
    Edited By: tripseekerx 4 Weeks Ago at 07:02 AM
    Raise
    Add tripseekerx to Rail
  6. IMO you can get good free coaching just watching twitch. normally the top 3ish streamers on there have a pretty good grasp on my game. I typically watch and ask myself what I would do in their spot and see if they do something same or similar.
    Raise
    Add ChameleoN89 to Rail
  7. You made a keen observation about your game that as the blinds go up, you tend to tighten up. You have acknowledged that this is a form of a leak. I think you need to understand why this is occurring. My sense is that you have concern about cashing over each tournament you play. This could either be financial, psychological or some combination of the two.

    If it's financial, my question to you is whether you are properly bankrolled for the games you are playing? Do you have concern about cashing in each tournament you play? I'm not suggesting that you necessarily need to play at XX stakes with XX buyins. I have never completely subscribed to that advice. However, with that said you have to play fearlessly and without regard for the buyin. I'm not saying wrecklessly, just fearlessly. And there are many scenarios approaching the money bubble or thereafter where this fearlessness is critical. I will admit that most of the time when I run deep or take down a tournament, my image is that of a mad man.

    If you don't suffer from financial worry, then it must be psychological. Do you overvalue cashing in a tournament? Do you feel like losing even the slightest amount is worse than winning a bunch? I'm not judging you, many people feel this way. It's in fact human nature. It's possible that this could be your biggest motivation for tightening up. The idea that you are going to be in greater control if you increase the quality of the hand you are willing to take a stand with. That is sound theory. Except not in MTTs. If you are having trouble adjusting this style, you should also consider lower variance games, like deep stack cash or HU sngs.

    So while I didn't give you any complete "technical play" advice like "do this in this spot when this happens" take a deep look at yourself will help you better understand your default approach to the game. Change starts from acknowledging deeply rooted stuff brother.
    Edited By: negrealanu 4 Weeks Ago at 10:09 PM
     
    1
    + 1
    raise
    Raise
    Add negrealanu to Rail
  8. Thanks. If you come back here, could you mention who they are? Ive seen Jason on there. But I would like to explore more.
    Thread StarterAdd BuscemiS19 to Rail
  9.  
    Originally Posted by negrealanu View Post

    You made a keen observation about your game that as the blinds go up, you tend to tighten up. You have acknowledged that this is a form of a leak. I think you need to understand why this is occurring. My sense is that you have concern about cashing over each tournament you play. This could either be financial, psychological or some combination of the two.

    If it's financial, my question to you is whether you are properly bankrolled for the games you are playing? Do you have concern about cashing in each tournament you play? I'm not suggesting that you necessarily need to play at XX stakes with XX buyins. I have never completely subscribed to that advice. However, with that said you have to play fearlessly and without regard for the buyin. I'm not saying wrecklessly, just fearlessly. And there are many scenarios approaching the money bubble or thereafter where this fearlessness is critical. I will admit that most of the time when I run deep or take down a tournament, my image is that of a mad man.

    If you don't suffer from financial worry, then it must be psychological. Do you overvalue cashing in a tournament? Do you feel like losing even the slightest amount is worse than winning a bunch? I'm not judging you, many people feel this way. It's in fact human nature. It's possible that this could be your biggest motivation for tightening up. The idea that you are going to be in greater control if you increase the quality of the hand you are willing to take a stand with. That is sound theory. Except not in MTTs. If you are having trouble adjusting this style, you should also consider lower variance games, like deep stack cash or HU sngs.

    So while I didn't give you any complete "technical play" advice like "do this in this spot when this happens" take a deep look at yourself will help you better understand your default approach to the game. Change starts from acknowledging deeply rooted stuff brother.

    Thank you so much. I have known this for some time.. Yet I have not explored it, or done anything about it.
    And now that you ask me, it gave me time to think about why I really do it. And I believe the 2 reasons you gave were pretty spot on.

    Also, I would like to add a 3rd. And.. It's embarrassing, but I think this is the truth. 2-3 Of the 500+ player tournaments I've won were from Treading water. Sure, I might build a huge stack once in awhile. But I feel I do the opposite of what I should be doing. I continue to play tight, and end up getting below the average chip stack. Then if I make the final table, say with 80k-100k (And theres 2-2.5M) Chips on the table... I feel I have succeeded. And I have won a couple of these situations.

    But if I truly am honest, I believe getting the cards in the right places have helped me win these tournaments. Not necessarily anything I did.


    I tend to have fear when I play. Fear of my Small bankroll. Fear of possibly making the wrong play.

    It's really crazy. I consider myself very lose in the early stages. When I have over 100 Big blinds, I tend to do very very well. I seem to build 5,000 into 10,000-20,000 the first hour or two.

    But after that, I am the one folding I am the one blinding out. I am the one rarely stealing blinds.

    I guess I need to watch more tape, and understand how aggressive I should be.

    I hate to admit it, but Theres alot of times in late position I fold Ace rag/ Ace rag suited. Or even small pocket pairs. Even if the pot isn't open.

    Because so many players play back and raise all in, that I don't know what to do.

    Thanks for your advice.
    + 1
    raise
    Raise
    Thread StarterAdd BuscemiS19 to Rail
  10.  
    Originally Posted by BuscemiS19 View Post

    I tend to have fear when I play. Fear of my Small bankroll. Fear of possibly making the wrong play.

    But after that, I am the one folding I am the one blinding out. I am the one rarely stealing blinds.

    I hate to admit it, but Theres alot of times in late position I fold Ace rag/ Ace rag suited. Or even small pocket pairs. Even if the pot isn't open.

    Because so many players play back and raise all in, that I don't know what to do.

    Thanks for your advice.

    Just a little chip-in. Play a few sessions at a lower buy in where you are more aggressive when you know you should be e.g late postion. Don´t worry about winning these games, just practice doing it and observe how often people fold to your bets. Not advocating being a loony because that will encourage others to play back at you. The more you practice the less fear you will have.

    The other thing that will help you is understanding opponents ranges and doing a bit of work on the maths & hands that are good for calling 3 bets etc. Alex Fitzgerald had some interesting chapters in his book on this.

    My old coach told me to keep attacking until the bad guys start playing back and then and only then for me to re adjust and either tighten up or to 4 bet light or call more IP.

    You´ll get there, just keep working on it.

    ps. From experience I can tell you that bankroll mgt is super important. Give yourself a biiiiggggg cushion, drop down if you need to. No point playing scared because the fear of losing your roll is a poker killer, you just won´t play optimally!
    Edited By: samj123 4 Weeks Ago at 03:21 PM
    4
    Raise
    Add samj123 to Rail
  11. feel free to check out my stream http://twitch.tv/snostnlost
    Edited By: icufish 4 Weeks Ago at 12:47 AM
    Add icufish to Rail
  12.  
    Originally Posted by icufish View Post

    feel free to check out my stream http://twitch.tv/snostnlost

    Agreed, I recommend following a guy like icufish. I've mixed it up with him a bit and he's a very solid player in this day and age.
     
    1
    Add negrealanu to Rail
  13. I'm really glad to see you're keeping an open mind about this and it shows you're ready to make changes. Now that you've considered the fact that there are mental adjustments to be made, it gets easier. When in doubt come back to this notion that you want a better result and are willing to do whatever it takes.

    Others in this thread have recommended Alex Fitzgerald and I'll throw out Evan Jarvis as well. His Youtube channel is amazing.

    One last question: Are you currently using a HUD when you play?
     
    1
    Raise
    Add negrealanu to Rail
  14.  
    Originally Posted by BuscemiS19 View Post

    It's really crazy. I consider myself very lose in the early stages. When I have over 100 Big blinds, I tend to do very very well. I seem to build 5,000 into 10,000-20,000 the first hour or two.

    But after that, I am the one folding I am the one blinding out. I am the one rarely stealing blinds.

    This is quite easily explained. In the early stages you are likely winning a lot of chips from poor players. A good 25% of the field is literally there to give their chips away. You are capitalizing on large implied odds scenarios from poor players. As the tournament progresses these opportunities dry up considerably. You end up with, on average, a better player pool and effective stacks are much shorter. This is why you find it easy to collect chips early on and super difficult to accrue them later on. This is why it is so critical for you to adjust.
     
    1
    + 1
    raise
    Raise
    Add negrealanu to Rail
  15.  
    Originally Posted by negrealanu View Post

    This is quite easily explained. In the early stages you are likely winning a lot of chips from poor players. A good 25% of the field is literally there to give their chips away. You are capitalizing on large implied odds scenarios from poor players. As the tournament progresses these opportunities dry up considerably. You end up with, on average, a better player pool and effective stacks are much shorter. This is why you find it easy to collect chips early on and super difficult to accrue them later on. This is why it is so critical for you to adjust.


    Yes, agreed. That's pretty spot on. Then I become the person playing my hand not my range. I'm trying to build my bankroll a tad more that way I can open up.

    I struggle with the aggression on ACR. People are pushing every other hand. and I feel I rather Keep my Chips than maybe open WIth A7 from cut off. Or KJ.

    I also see alot of people who can steal by using min raising, and fold when People push back. I sometimes worry that I begin to do this, I might get sucked in do to the math.

    There are quite a few things I need to work on. I want that next level. There are certain games in my life, that I hit walls in, and when I found out a few simple tricks, I became Crazy good (To my standards) Such as Chess, Or Spades/ Pinocle.

    And I feel I am missing a few same things here, where maybe If Someone explained something I was missing, Or showed me, I could make it to that next level.


    Side note for ICUfish. Thanks for posting. I feel like I watched u years ago? did you switch streams or something? Maybe not? You look familiar. But thanks regardless. I need this.


    1 last thing.
    One of my favorite players is Daniel. His reading skills, and just his overall game/ personality.
    He talks about Small ball, and using this tactic.

    Is it out of date? Is this still what I want to do?
    Raise
    Thread StarterAdd BuscemiS19 to Rail
  16. So frustrated right now.

    Same problem. Need to break this habit soon.

    3400 People in the OSS $3.. Doesnt seem like much... but top 5 make 500$

    Which would really help my bankroll.

    Came in 19th. Because I tightened up.

    500k blinded to 390k. Blinds 20k/40k

    Dude with 3Million (Chip leeader) Makes it 80k

    I go all in with AK hearts. Snap calls me with A4, hits 4.


    The only way I can avoid this is by having people respect my stack I feel.

    10 Hours for $36 . Ughhhhhhh.

    Thanks for the support everyone. I thought this could be it. Made Some killer Calls.

    Had a Huge laydown for my Tournament too.

    I had AJ. Ah 5d 4d Ad Qh


    he had the flush, check raised me turn and pushed on river.

    I thought this would be it...

    Back to the drawing board.
    Edited By: BuscemiS19 3 Weeks Ago at 06:02 AM
    Raise
    Thread StarterAdd BuscemiS19 to Rail
  17. Believe it or not I actually watched the entire thing. I was sweating my buddy Gimme Dat who was at your table when you busted. We both squinted when we saw it, but that's poker man. Truth is even though you dominated him, you are still going to lose there around 25-30% of the time. Seems crazy but work out the math. My buddy who made the FT with the chip lead got KK in against KJo all in pre flop to Sirf7 for 40+ BB when they were the top 2 stacks. Clearly Sirf7 is just horrible for committing ICM suicide like that over what he thought was a great squeeze. I hope he's reading this now, because while he has made some decent scores in the past that you would admire, he's just a maniac and will go broke. Take his one big score out of his past and he's a big loser. Time and time again he made some theory-less decisions that will catch up to him. Anyway back to the hand, somehow he runs out a straight and breaks my buddy who ends up finishing 6th instead of being a lock for top 2. You see we all go through it and what makes a good poker player is being tough. You had a very high equity spot that didn't go your way. So what? You got 19th place out of a field of 3,400 people. I don't care what the buy-in was, that's phenomenal and you should be proud. If you don't see it for that you are always going to struggle with confidence in this game, which gets back the the psychological/mental components I brought up earlier. It's not an easy road, you just gotta be tough dude. Show them how tough you are by going out and doing the exact same thing night after night and eventually your spots will hold, you'll win a key flip, and all the run bad won't matter.

    Now comes the criticism...you had like 10 BB or less (I can't quite remember). You are a shortie and everyone is going to be coming after you, it's a fact. You needed that spot, so the question once again is what can you do about this spot you always find yourself in? Short and waiting it out until you pick up a top 5-10% hand?
    Edited By: negrealanu 3 Weeks Ago at 03:16 PM
     
    1
    + 1
    raise
    Raise
    Add negrealanu to Rail