1. This is not a bad beat story, just a documentation of my last hand of the tournament, I feel I did play quite well in this tournament regardless of the result and if I won this hand I think it would have secured me another 100 places.
    Thoughts are welcomed, I do think this is a pretty cool hand though and I had so much fun playing this tournament.

Poker Stars, $1 Buy-in (500/1,000 blinds, 125 ante) No Limit Hold'em Tournament, 9 Players

SB: 6,060 (6.1 bb)
    BB: 24,332 (24.3 bb)
    UTG+1: 29,255 (29.3 bb)
    UTG+2: 9,867 (9.9 bb)
    MP1: 11,404 (11.4 bb)
    MP2: 27,852 (27.9 bb)
    MP3: 16,630 (16.6 bb)
    Hero (CO): 22,613 (22.6 bb)
    BTN: 23,708 (23.7 bb)

Preflop: Hero is CO with Ac As
    UTG+1 raises to 2,220, 4 folds, Hero calls 2,220, 2 folds, BB calls 1,220

Flop: (8,285) 4c 8d 8c (3 players)
    BB checks, UTG+1 bets 3,065, Hero calls 3,065, BB folds

Turn: (14,415) 7s (2 players)
    UTG+1 bets 5,334, Hero raises to 17,203 and is all-in, UTG+1 calls 11,869

River: (48,821) Th (2 players, 1 is all-in)

Results: 48,821 pot
    Final Board: 4c 8d 8c 7s Th
    UTG+1 showed Ts Tc and won 48,821 (26,208 net)
    Hero showed Ac As and lost (-22,613 net)
    Add neart13 to Rail
  2. obv just a cooler, nothin u can really do differently aside from shoving preflop which renders the same outcome. Basically the hand played itself.
    Add dstrubs23 to Rail
    Originally Posted by dstrubs23 View Post

obv just a cooler, nothin u can really do differently aside from shoving preflop which renders the same outcome. Basically the hand played itself.

^
    This 10%
    Add saukendar to Rail

This is not a bad beat story

Yes, it is.
    Add cage to Rail
  5. I agree with Cage it's a bad beat story. The hand played it's self more or less. I honestly have to say I see no real reason for the turn jam. What was your thought process behind this, my guess is to get him out of the hand before he hits something that beats you and that is not a reason to bet. We should either be wanting value or pot control depending on what we think our opponent has, in this case I'd say 100% value, your jam accomplishes neither. You did have 22bb so a 2.3 to 2.5x 3 bet wouldn't really look fishy. I'm pretty sure $1 MTT players have about zero stack awareness.

FWIW against any random player, especially in a low buy in tournament I'm calling there all day with TT.

+ 2
    raises
    Raise
    Add DiamondDixie to Rail
  6. So cooler / bad beat story. All true & I don't think anything you do changes the outcome. You get stacks in vs. one player with a 2 outer, you can't really expect to do much better than that.

So what could we have done differently?

I Don't like flatting the 2.2x preflop open in the general case.
    In this case I would be looking at SB: 6,060 (6.1 bb) sitting there. If I though there was a good chance he ships then I'm good with the flat as the opener should re-pop/fold close to 100% and even if he flats a raise to 6,060 reopens the action so we can re-pop it. If we think the SB mostly folds then an iso raise is in order at least enough to put the SB all in. We didn't get any info on the SB so no way to tell at this point. BTW He should never call but if that happens he's claiming the the rest of the As, he has them fairly often in that case, maybe a bit less of the time in 1$.

On the flop you have to raise when the action gets to you. There are draws out, clubs & a gutshot and the OR opens for right at 37% pot, if you call you just gave him the right price to peel 1 card to the flush draw with overs. In addition to that the BB is still active behind you. Normally you would make a 1/2 pot raise or ~10,500 to go but that would get well over half our stack in and make a pot much larger than our remaining stack so a ship is in order I think.

DiamondDixie's call on stack awareness is a point, but I'm still never offering the right price if I can help it.

my 2 cents
    Edited By: saukendar 3 Weeks Ago at 04:22 AM
    + 1
    raise
    Raise
    Add saukendar to Rail
    Originally Posted by DiamondDixie View Post

I agree with Cage it's a bad beat story. The hand played it's self more or less. I honestly have to say I see no real reason for the turn jam. What was your thought process behind this, my guess is to get him out of the hand before he hits something that beats you and that is not a reason to bet. We should either be wanting value or pot control depending on what we think our opponent has, in this case I'd say 100% value, your jam accomplishes neither. You did have 22bb so a 2.3 to 2.5x 3 bet wouldn't really look fishy. I'm pretty sure $1 MTT players have about zero stack awareness.

FWIW against any random player, especially in a low buy in tournament I'm calling there all day with TT.

Seriously you don't think there is a value argument to be made for ripping the turn? Let's try really hard to think of one. Hmm I don't know maybe the following:

- Villain has OP: 99, TT, JJ, QQ, KK, assumes he's nutted and calls off
    - Villain has flush draws, pot-committed and reasons he has too much equity to fold
    - Villain has random AK/AQ combos and barrels (hehem, $1 buyin); I give you that he probably folds to rip sometimes
    - Villain has 55/66, reasons he has too much equity and calls off anyway

Raise
    Add negrealanu to Rail
    Originally Posted by negrealanu View Post

Seriously you don't think there is a value argument to be made for ripping the turn? Let's try really hard to think of one. Hmm I don't know maybe the following:

- Villain has OP: 99, TT, JJ, QQ, KK, assumes he's nutted and calls off
    - Villain has flush draws, pot-committed and reasons he has too much equity to fold
    - Villain has random AK/AQ combos and barrels (hehem, $1 buyin); I give you that he probably folds to rip sometimes
    - Villain has 55/66, reasons he has too much equity and calls off anyway

I don't hate the turn jam but you are giving $1 MTT players too much credit, they see the cards in their hand and board. They're generally level zero to level one thinkers. Therefore, they are not thinking of things like fold equity or equity period for that matter. I've seen even mid-stakes players fold with super low SPRs, however he's going to call all the way down with any pocket pair at this point. He likely folds A high hand, plus we have two aces so him having an ace isn't likely.

The most merit I see in jamming the turn is we lose value if we only bet and scare card comes on the river. I actually didn't notice than villain bet out on the turn. I think I thought Hero open jammed. In this case I see the jam for sure.

I can also definitely see a reason for a flop raise/jam. I think I like that option best of all.
    Edited By: DiamondDixie 3 Weeks Ago at 09:35 PM

+ 2
    raises
    Raise
    Add DiamondDixie to Rail