1. Position Name Stack

BTN 881,072 (17.6 bb)
    SB 1,283,427 (25.7 bb)
    BB Hero 1,040,400 (20.8 bb)

Stakes/Buy-In: $5+$0.50
    Players: 7

Preflop: Hero is BB with K of clubs 7 of clubs

BTN folds, SB raises to 125,000, Hero raises to 1,035,400 and is all-in, SB calls 910,400

Flop: (2,085,800) 3 of clubs 8 of hearts 2 of diamonds
    Turn: (2,085,800) 6 of diamonds
    River: (2,085,800) A of diamonds

FT - 7 left 6max. The other table had a 10bb stack & a big stack but the others were all 20bb ish.

This opponent was aggressive with 44/30 pre and 75% steal from the SB, so I didn´t think this jam was bad vs this opp.

But, I just want advice on bet sizing & ranges if I want to 3bet fold with roughly this stack size for those occasions & opponents where it might be better.

If I 3bet fold I´m still left with 15bb, which I´m happy playing.

This exact example:

If I raise to $275000 and he jams I need 39% equity to call off.

If I assume he will 4 bet jam with 10% of hands I have 34% equity and can fold. Does this range seem reasonable? Do I still have enough fold equity?
    Edited By: samj123 2 Weeks Ago at 11:40 AM
    Add samj123 to Rail
  2. I think I am fine with this move personally. For me, I am a relatively aggressive player but when i start getting down to the 25 - 30ish bb stack size, I start to slow down and look for those good rejam spots. I am not necessarily looking to rejam a full stack of that size, but i know it is going to take me a few rounds to find that good spot and want to give myself a little leeway so that I can use a rejam of 15 - 22 bbs to its fullest advantage.

I think this is a pretty awesome spot. You have a good read on your villain that shows he is aggressive from the blinds. You have the bubble working in your favor. You absolutely have fold equity here and if you take it down with out a fight (i dont see where you mention what blind the blind level is but) you pick up around 5bbs and that is about a 20% increase to your stack. That is huge. Not to mention i think you have the best hand here against the villain you described a lot of the time.

While i definitely have some raise / folds on this sort of stack size given the right dynamics. I dont think we should be having any 3bet folds on a rejam stack of 20 bbs. While i somewhat agree that if you 3bet and get 4bet, folding with 15 bbs isnt the end of the world but it does handicap you quite a bit. I dont think that is the biggest issue though.

Imagining you 3bet and get flatted, then you have to cbet most flops. Assuming your cbet gets 3bet and you have to fold you are now left with about 12 bbs behind. To go from 20 to 12 is disastrous. If your cbet gets flatted, then you are left with a choice of double barreling but a good player will recognize that you only had 12 bbs behind when you decided to cbet and should only be continuing with the top of their range. Everything just gets super awkward if you dont actually hit your hand. And as we all know most hands miss most flops.

Add GodsBigToe to Rail
  3. Very instructive post.TY.
    Add cage to Rail
  4. Generally not a supporter of 3b/folding from a 20bb stack, either call the raise or rip over the top of it. K7cc seems like just a call pre here ip, especially at this stage of the tournament, flat pre use your position post.
    Add DefiningGTO to Rail
  5. Thought about it awhile....

Necessity of play...Do we always have to be optimal, and ICM correct?

Ida not messed around with this guy with k7...Wasnt necessary for a mano a mano duel to the death here...75% steal from SB?...Ida treated him like Dwan...And you know when you finally jump out over the top hes gonna have something!!! right!!! k8 or better!! LOL....It just cry's 50/50 gamble on the deck..why f with it...It wasnt necessary....I dont think
    Add tripseekerx to Rail
  6. If this was v the Btn i think this spot the play works much better because you have the btn covered and he can only call with the top of his range. You cant exact the same pressure against the Sb because a) he has you covered b) if he is a self aware maniac then he his going to call with a wider range as he knows you will jam on him wider. All of that said the FT BUBBLE is the time to fight to get chips. The pay jumps from 7th to 5th are fairly insignificant (unless this is Sunday major or something you satelited into above your normal buyin level), and as such i am always aiming for a top 3 finish.

Personally i would probably have flatted and taken a flop.

Add turbulence to Rail
  7. Against the player type you mentioned it is better to rip in preflop here. The players you can 3bet/fold from 20bb stack are "thinking regulars". Typically nobody expects a 3bet/fold from a 20bb stack as most people 3bet (not all-in) are inducing action and that is why I like to make this play against specific type of players because it works so damn well and it doesn't need to succeed that often.
    Add Rihard4a to Rail
  8. Thanks guys. A lot of different advice but all good stuff.
    Thread StarterAdd samj123 to Rail
  9. Generally I´m 3bet shoving with 20bb, but when I call a raise with 20bb, I need to construct a balance calling range - what hands are good for this?

I´m thinking:

Premiums
    Small pairs
    Good suited broadways
    Any pure bluffs???

Edit: and I´ll use the 3bet small/fold move sparingly for exploitative play only. I agree with Rihard it works well vs a specific player but also agree with Godsbigtoe that it will leave me too crippled if they call.
    Edited By: samj123 2 Weeks Ago at 10:42 AM
    Thread StarterAdd samj123 to Rail
    Originally Posted by samj123 View Post

Generally I´m 3bet shoving with 20bb, but when I call a raise with 20bb, I need to construct a balance calling range - what hands are good for this?

I´m thinking:

Premiums
    Small pairs
    Good suited broadways
    Any pure bluffs???

Edit: and I´ll use the 3bet small/fold move sparingly for exploitative play only. I agree with Rihard it works well vs a specific player but also agree with Godsbigtoe that it will leave me too crippled if they call.

Well, the hand doesn't end when they call. You can still bluff certain flops because they most likely will shove stronger part of the range preflop to the 3bet. And second thing even if they call, it does not happen that often. If someone opens T8s and get 3bet from 20bbs stack most people would fold, especially if it is a decent regular as for them preserving their chips is far more important than gambling with a mediocre hand and be guessing that you are 3betting wide. And when someone does flat the T8s due to stupidity it will benefit you because this kind of wide calling range bricks the board 60% of the time.
    Edited By: Rihard4a 2 Weeks Ago at 10:51 AM
    Add Rihard4a to Rail
  11. Sometimes your stats on a player are a bit misleading, because it could only be the stats for say 50 hands. And if you are catching a person when they are having a string of decent cards it can appear to your small sample that they are being overly aggressive, when they are possibly just playing straight forward.

Something else to consider is that you are 1 away from the final table... so this is a time when player's often mix up their game and if you don't truly know your opponent this can be difficult to just make blanket assertions as to what they are doing. If you know that this is a good reg, then maybe he is just going for easy blinds and will fold to too much action pre... You want your notes to be a bit more specific on an opponent. What hands are they raising, will they fold to 3bet (if so, what size), will they fold if they miss flop... etc.

Personally situations like these when you are heading to the final table I like trying to take pots on the flop. You have position, you are suited, and it is possible you are good now, also the fact that you are in the BB makes your hand appear a lot wider, so they have to respect that any 2 cards could have hit you when you give them action on the flop or turn. So I would prefer to call the min raise, evaluate his cbet sizing and either raise him, or bet if he doesn't bet, or fold and live to fight another hand. You don't truly have to all in fold with more than 10bbs. So in the words of Professor X, "There's still time..."
    Add DaddyDuck to Rail