1. Some breaking news on the legislative front. Sheldon Adelson, the steadfast opponent of legalized online gambling in the United States, may be having a change of heart. Remember, Adelson once said he'd "do whatever it takes" to ban i-gaming in the US.

A spokesperson for Adelson's Las Vegas Sands was quoted as saying, "We haven't backed off of our focus on [Restoring America's Wire Act, the major bill to ban i-gaming], but we need to find a way...to be able to shut down illegal offshore operators."

Adelson's focus on offshore operators is pretty monumental and could be a sign that a ban on i-gaming in the US isn't going to be pushed much longer.

The Poker Players Alliance (PPA), the main lobbying voice for poker players on Capitol Hill in the US, responded to Adelson's potential change in focus by saying, "If Sands is serious about addressing the unregulated offshore market, they should join us in trying to replace it with a regulated US market."

Jason Chaffetz, Lindsay Graham, and others have been pushing RAWA in the US House and Senate. Chaffetz recently held a disastrous, embarrassing hearing in the House Oversight Committee.
    Add Dan to Rail
  2. Would love to believe this is true, but color me suspicious since Shelly has not had, shall we say, a history of truth-telling.
    Add mikewebb68 to Rail
    Originally Posted by mikewebb68 View Post

Would love to believe this is true, but color me suspicious since Shelly has not had, shall we say, a history of truth-telling.

True, but it's interesting that his camp has come out and stated they want to target offshore sites several times recently. His spokesperson, however, pretty clearly stated, "We haven't backed off of our focus on [Restoring America's Wire Act]."
    Thread StarterAdd Dan to Rail
  4. Here's an update on this in PocketFives' March Legislative Recap:
    http://www.pocketfives.com/articles/...-s-180-592103/

It'd be really awesome for our industry if Adelson stopped caring about banning iPoker and started focusing on offshore, unregulated sites. Hopefully that would lead to some sort of regulation in the US.
  5. Dan, I get it. But this is what I can play. And who is to say some of these "offshores" don't show up here regulated at some point? What was Poker Stars before they got back in?

(Some of them have money, just saying)
    Edited By: G2thV Apr 3rd, 2016 at 04:42 AM
    Add G2thV to Rail
    Originally Posted by G2thV View Post

Dan, I get it. But this is what I can play. And who is to say some of these "offshores" don't show up here regulated at some point? What was Poker Stars before they got back in?

(Some of them have money, just saying)

I see your point, but I don't see a way that an unregulated US sites gets a US license any time soon, especially with the way they have seemingly flaunted the law in the US. You can debate the legality of online poker all you want, but when some sites are logging transactions as "golf balls," it's clearly not kosher.
  7. f
    Edited By: xxACES UPxx Sep 28th, 2016 at 04:08 PM
    Add xxACES UPxx to Rail

8. Edited By: xxACES UPxx Sep 28th, 2016 at 05:03 PM
    Add xxACES UPxx to Rail
  9. a
    Edited By: xxACES UPxx Nov 10th, 2016 at 06:37 PM
    Add xxACES UPxx to Rail
  10. Why couldnt he be adding focus on offshore sites in addition to keeping the heat on U.S. internet gaming? Seems a lot more logical. I t was widely reported he made a large donation to Trumps campaign in the closing weeks of the election.....Pretty sure he didnt do it because he likes spray-on tans...
    Add allynlong to Rail