rock3656

quick preflop spot

Question

PokerStars Game #24469821455: Tournament #136336436, $300+$20 Hold'em No Limit - Level VII (125/250) - 2009/01/31 15:14:23 ET

Table '136336436 46' 9-max Seat #2 is the button

Seat 1: dushbagg (9740 in chips)

Seat 2: Riddick5 (4195 in chips)

Seat 3: anfo500 (1295 in chips)

Seat 4: ryanghall (3425 in chips)

Seat 5: Sergey4077 (12529 in chips) is sitting out

Seat 6: fergwrx (4585 in chips)

Seat 7: jinglenutz (8985 in chips)

Seat 9: broseph321 (3075 in chips)

dushbagg: posts the ante 25

Riddick5: posts the ante 25

anfo500: posts the ante 25

ryanghall: posts the ante 25

Sergey4077: posts the ante 25

fergwrx: posts the ante 25

jinglenutz: posts the ante 25

broseph321: posts the ante 25

anfo500: posts small blind 125

ryanghall: posts big blind 250

*** HOLE CARDS ***

Dealt to anfo500 [X X]

Sergey4077: folds

fergwrx: raises 510 to 760

jinglenutz: folds

broseph321: folds

dushbagg: folds

Riddick5: folds

anfo500: raises 510 to 1270 and is all-in

ryanghall: folds

fergwrx: calls 510

whats my shoving range? whats his opening range?

7 answers to this question

My range depends on how I was playing this table at this time which I dont remember this specific spot anyways If I were you I would be putting it in with any ace, broadway hand, Kxs,Qxs,Jxs and any pair. Your stack is less than m of 2.5 which is too small so your looking to get it in with hands that have potential to double, tripple, or quintuple you up.

Thank you ferg if you dont mind me asking what did you have in that huge pot in the 100r yesterday between you me and peachy mer? She raised UTG+1 to 775 you flatted I flatted cutoff, and the blinds called. Flop was 694 rainbow she bet 2800 you flatted, and I flatted turn was 8s. she bet allin for like 5600, you called, I shoved you in for your remaining 11k and you folded. Did you have QQ?

In the hand in question, I would think that his range should be somewhat tight as raise folding with his stack, from ep, is kinda bad. But I don't play this level so I guess some of the standard guidelines don't apply. Will someone with his stack use it as an opportunity to open lighter since the rest of the tbl expects his range should be tightish? So his range I rly can't say for sure.

I'd be getting it in with any pair, any two broadway, 67s+, most Aces i guess (but not sure if this is right if you believe a good part of his range is ATs+)

Not sure if this is even right but i'd love to hear what others think.

ARE you better off getting in a wide range here with no FE or simply wait to shove any two? I'd guess at this level ppl are expecting you to open shove any two with ur stack and will adjust their calling ranges appropriately. So you are likely better off getting it in with any decent hand here?

His opening range depends. There's an argument for opening light. A lot of good players will take a look at the size of the stacks in the blinds and open wide, knowing the SB is a non-factor and the BB would have to shove for his tourney life to generate fold equity, so he'd have to have a very strong hand. Also, the big stack has already folded.

There's also reasons to be opening tighter. There's a big stack in the cutoff and there's a better-than-average chance you'll go off in the SB with so few chips, especially when the BB is coming to you next. I personally don't like to showdown total trash in these situations, but it can cut both ways.

I say his open is PPs and AJ+. Because your fold equity is gone, I'd tend to shove (suited) connectors between 56 and 9T, which will play better against the AK/AQ kind of hands. Also add PPs or AT+. Because a lot of times this is an Ax raise, I'd stay away from weaker aces, as you're usually crushed.