advertisement_alt
tigertonkin

QQ.. should I of shoved or played so called "small ball poker"?

Question

Would a pro just shove like this in a tourny? if not what should I of done at this stage? Even if I re-raise surely hes just gonna re-pop me all in anyway. do pros even take this risk or would they play small ball poker and possibly just call? whats the correct play here to help me in the long run?

PokerStars Game #35506038955: Tournament #229011062, $2.00+$0.20 USD Hold'em No Limit - Level VII (125/250) - 2009/11/17 22:53:03 ET

Table '229011062 168' 6-max Seat #3 is the button

Seat 1: prinsofegypt (30005 in chips)

Seat 2: blackhorse14 (23170 in chips)

Seat 3: bsfisherman1 (11175 in chips)

Seat 4: tigertonkin (15548 in chips)

Seat 5: kozmo112 (13605 in chips)

Seat 6: yknottry72 (35180 in chips)

prinsofegypt: posts the ante 25

blackhorse14: posts the ante 25

bsfisherman1: posts the ante 25

tigertonkin: posts the ante 25

kozmo112: posts the ante 25

yknottry72: posts the ante 25

tigertonkin: posts small blind 125

kozmo112: posts big blind 250

*** HOLE CARDS ***

Dealt to tigertonkin [Qd Qc]

yknottry72: folds

prinsofegypt: folds

blackhorse14: calls 250

bsfisherman1: calls 250

tigertonkin: raises 1000 to 1250

kozmo112: raises 1000 to 2250

blackhorse14: folds

bsfisherman1: folds

tigertonkin: raises 13273 to 15523 and is all-in

kozmo112: calls 11330 and is all-in

Uncalled bet (1943) returned to tigertonkin

*** FLOP *** [Ks 2h Ac]

*** TURN *** [Ks 2h Ac] [2s]

*** RIVER *** [Ks 2h Ac 2s] [Td]

*** SHOW DOWN ***

tigertonkin: shows [Qd Qc] (two pair, Queens and Deuces)

kozmo112: shows [Kh Ad] (two pair, Aces and Kings)

kozmo112 collected 27810 from pot

*** SUMMARY ***

Total pot 27810 | Rake 0

Board [Ks 2h Ac 2s Td]

Seat 1: prinsofegypt folded before Flop (didn't bet)

Seat 2: blackhorse14 folded before Flop

Seat 3: bsfisherman1 (button) folded before Flop

Seat 4: tigertonkin (small blind) showed [Qd Qc] and lost with two pair, Queens and Deuces

Seat 5: kozmo112 (big blind) showed [Kh Ad] and won (27810) with two pair, Aces and Kings

Seat 6: yknottry72 folded before Flop (didn't bet)

20 answers to this question

Min reraise is a bit scary, but I've played $2 tournaments where players do this with 76 suited. You can't fold QQ in this spot. I love the shove, just couldn't dodge A or the K (as you saw, he didn't need AA or KK to do this, I'd have a hard time imagining AK is the only other hand in his range here).

Also, don't be so worried what a pro would do. Micros play differently than higher stakes games. Given a micro tournament and the min raise, I think players would play this way all the time. You can't set mine and fold here. Flatting lets AJ type hands get there, and even on an all under board, your not going to be thrilled.

Get it in there, and let the other player decide if he wants to make a tough call. Seems like the best players make their opponents make the hard decisions, you did that here.

So, well played, and just unlucky this time.

I don't see why you all are so quick to say shove here. I can see the shove if he has 20 big blinds or less, but he still has 62 big blinds at the start of this hand. The min reraise is very often done by people with KK and AA. If that's the case here then you're putting in the whole rest of your stack as a massive dog (bad outcome). If it turns out the reraiser is a donk who's reraising with TT or KQs or some trash like that then it's very possible the massive reraise all in will get them to fold and then you're extracting the minimum from them when you are a massive favorite (another bad outcome). About all you can hope for is that the guy is a donk and will be overplaying a small pocket pair. So...

Why not call and check out the flop? In this particular case, the flop comes with an A and K and you easily get away from the hand and look for a better spot. If it comes lower than Q than play out the hand.