advertisement_alt
timex

Figured I'd post this here

Question

I think this is totally normal thinking for players in your position. We have seen others that have reached this point and I am sure there will be many more.

Congrats on all your success that you have had and GL in whatever you choose to do in the future. Just be greatful you now have the option to do what you want and just live a life that makes you happy. If that is with poker great, if not who cars. Just enjoy it man.

I think it was Greenstein that said the hardest thing about poker is coming to terms with the fact that you are doing nothing redeeming or worthwhile with your life.

I know it prolly doesn't make it any easier to say that nearly every successful poker grinder experiences what you are feeling, but I'm sure its true.

GL on whatever path you choose.

Thanks for the read man.....Interesting for me to read views of someone on the far end of the spectrum. All I ever wanted to do for the last 2 years was breakthrough and be sustain a life from poker, just cuz theres nothing I really love to do more, and I seem to be above average at it. So all I did was, study, watch play etc etc....This can be isolating... Now im more at a point where Im fine with having a steady income, makin a few extra hundred a month playing, and being able to purse other aspirations. Right now Im dead set on becoming a BEAST at darts before next season, and upping my golf skills for this summers tournie schedule......Anyway....this game been around for a long time....So CHEERS to ur next move.....Maybe we share the felt sometime in the distant future....

Good post Timex. I think its always gonna be true that the grass is always greener. You should try to find something that you are really passionate about that is not for profit and that might make your life feel "fuller." Please keep us updated.

Edit: Also I think its kindof standard for ppl to have good friends but not a real "group of friends" after a certain age

I don't get it. You have alot of cash and no ties. You can literally do whatever you want. Ski in the alps one week, sit on the beach the next. I would try to see as many places in this world as I could and take friends/gf with you to enjoy it.

First off, I love Timex. Mike is the man. His blog post is heartfelt and easily relatable for a lot of us.

However... feeling unfulfilled and unsatisfied is just part of the human condition. I think its easy to make poker a scapegoat when there are much deeper philosophical issues going on here. These feelings will follow you no matter what you do.

I hope you don't quit poker completely. I always thought you'd be the first two time EPT champion and was looking forward to seeing you crush the WSOP.

You should find your own path and constantly strive to better yourself. I know it sounds cheezy, but my advice is to follow your heart and do the thing that makes you happy. I just get the feeling that eventually it will come full circle and you'll realize that the thing you love is poker, traveling, and hanging out with like minded people.

Anyways, I love you man and I wish you the best in whatever it is you do.

poker is a waste of time, dont care how much money i make, id stay in school and do something different and more fulfilling/productive if i could do it over. ive been feeling the way u have for like 5 years, just never had the means to quit or retire. woulda snap quit poker if won wsop main

In all honesty, if I were to make 7 figures in poker, I would probably go back to school and pursuit the most profitable and interesting major I could... to secure my future and actually do something that leaves a mark on society. hope the money allows you to pursuit the most opportunities you can! glglgl

First off, I love Timex. Mike is the man. His blog post is heartfelt and easily relatable for a lot of us.

However... feeling unfulfilled and unsatisfied is just part of the human condition. I think its easy to make poker a scapegoat when there are much deeper philosophical issues going on here. These feelings will follow you no matter what you do.

I hope you don't quit poker completely. I always thought you'd be the first two time EPT champion and was looking forward to seeing you crush the WSOP.

You should find your own path and constantly strive to better yourself. I know it sounds cheezy, but my advice is to follow your heart and do the thing that makes you happy. I just get the feeling that eventually it will come full circle and you'll realize that the thing you love is poker, traveling, and hanging out with like minded people.

Anyways, I love you man and I wish you the best in whatever it is you do.

I agree with you in regards to scapegoating poker - everyone thinks theres something that much greater out there then there current situation regardless of what it may be and the fact is there isn't. All things eventually get boring or feel unfulfilling thats why balancing life with other interests in the only way to keep things goin. I'm sure hes not quitting poker just taking a break considering hes very wealthy for his age

poker is a waste of time, dont care how much money i make, id stay in school and do something different and more fulfilling/productive if i could do it over. ive been feeling the way u have for like 5 years, just never had the means to quit or retire. woulda snap quit poker if won wsop main

Most people don't have the means to quit what they do, you sound like a typical unsatisfied American(I know b/c I am one)

If you were meant to quit poker Darvin would have missed that 8 and you would have gone deeper. It's hard to live modest after living the high life but you could quit any day and do something else if you really wanted to, gl w/ whatever you do.

All these pros talking about how unfulfilling poker is and how so many of them want to quit makes me feel like a huge degen. My dream is to play this game for a living, but I guess I also have one of those sick personalities where I am always looking for that next thing that gives me a rush. Poker has given me that since I found it a few years ago and as I slowly get better, the rush just grows. I could care less about contributing to the world. I don't think that makes me a bad person tho I just see myself as a realist and this world is so full of shit that I doubt people will ever create a truly civilized society before the sun blows up anyway. gl with whatever you choose to do next Timex, if you want to help a cause you should give me poker lessons (for a decent portion of my profits of course emotion-4.gif) No, seriously you should.

It's difficult to say whether a single thing (poker in this situation) makes a person feel fulfilled or it's the person who are unfulfilled by the things he does. I can see especially competitive people get bored by things that comes easily to them. It's the nature of the beast.

My recommendation, which is my personal goals as well, is to use your poker advantage in a way that ties in with something else. Being able to make money at poker at will is a unique capability that other people in the world does not have. Top graduating harvard grads are slaving away in their 20's for hedge funds and investment banks. You can earn the same amount of money but have a less stressful life and have plenty of freetime and resources to do other things.

I'd say it makes sense to explore how you can use your poker background to help the world because you really have unique advantages that no one else has. In my opinion this is superior to throwing away poker to be a part of the world.

This is in my opinion somewhat similar to the situation where a black man from a poor neighborhood uses his basketball talents to get into college on a scholarship. Sure he doesn't think he'll make the NBA, but it's his talent, it's his asset, and he's gonna use it in a way to make his life and the people around him's life better.

Let's say I win the sunday million, the first thing I would do is to donate a part of the money to a NGO that I care a lot about that does good work in global health in addressing structural issues instead of giving handouts.

In the business world, you have money and freetime. There's limitless possibilities. There's way to cultivate that into something. Dream big, think real estate investment, vitamin water like 50cent, etc. At the same time poker is still there as a backup plan and as a continued source of capital.

For high rollers like you, it already should be pretty clear that it's most efficient to grind sundays and big series. So i'm not gonna mention that.

If you find my thoughts intriguing or have questions, feel free to pm.

"I think returning to school and trying out a super wide variety of courses, learning new things, meeting new people and just beginning to live a life that is more in touch with everyone else seems aligned with my interests. I currently am trying to get in touch with the university of Waterloo about possibly taking some classes this summer, and depending on how that goes may return to Waterloo or another university in the fall."

great idea. also: travel the world.

Yeah its a heartfelt story and all and I do get it ... but ... its still really hard to sympathise. Do you know how many starving / thirsty / ill people there are in the world compared to not? Get out of your emo hole and go help them if you are not feeling fulfilled - you have been playing a selfish game (THE GAME MB NOT YOU) and reading your blog you sound like good guy, just a bit lost.

Poker is a game so dettached from the rest of the world as you said yourself, go and taste some IRL it can be pretty decent :P

Hope you find you way.