timex

Figured I'd post this here

Question

poker is a waste of time, dont care how much money i make, id stay in school and do something different and more fulfilling/productive if i could do it over. ive been feeling the way u have for like 5 years, just never had the means to quit or retire. woulda snap quit poker if won wsop main

I know how you feel, but there are tens of millions of people that would kill to be able to play poker (or do something along those lines) that instead have to grind a shitty job that doesnt pay them much. They dont get to travel, they can't wake up and decide that they dont feel like working, and they have a limited amount of time each to do what they enjoy doing.

I very recently took a leave from my job to travel and play poker. I was burnt out on working and burnt out on the lifestyle i was living (playing poker whenever i wasnt working, not working out, not going out, etc). I talked to trhe people i work with about it and came to the decision that i needed time off (i work for some really awesome people btw, and i should note also that my job was not shitty).

I think it helps to have on both sides of the fence (ive had a real job/played poker for a living in the past) to really see how awesome playing poker as your job is. Like I said, there are a ton of people that would kill to be in my position. I think the key, as many have said, is balancing out your life. That is the main reason i made the decison to take a leave from work.

thats the end i guess. also i shold say that im not backed, which may be why i dont have some of the stresses as a number of pros. idk tho, i just have never really been the type to stress out. I also really love poker.

That was easily one of the best poker-related reads of my life. I emphasize with you a great deal, and I think about the day when I might walk away from poker all the time. I was also a super competitive guy growing up, and finding an outlet where I could compete on a regular basis through poker naturally drew me in. I feel like I've accomplished a lot, but am thankful I still have the drive to accomplish more as well. You said you feel like you play poker often because it is the most productive thing you can do with your time... but is it? At this point, playing poker offers you very little extra utility, because you are at a point where making more money does not add much more to your life. Find something that truly would be a productive use of your time, and knowing what a smart guy you are, I'm sure if you put your mind to it, you can find an outlet where all of your talents are best put to use... opening a business etc.

I feel like the two most important things in life are friends and family. Enjoy as many unique experiences as you can with the people you love. Live, laugh, love, cry. Those are the things in this life that are the most important and will give you the most satisfaction. Going back to school is a great idea and something I will likely do as well at some point. Its like you said, not to get started on a career, but to find something that interests you and perhaps, give something back to society. Enjoy whatever path you choose, but remember to enjoy it with the people most important to you.

That was easily one of the best poker-related reads of my life. I emphasize with you a great deal, and I think about the day when I might walk away from poker all the time. I was also a super competitive guy growing up, and finding an outlet where I could compete on a regular basis through poker naturally drew me in. I feel like I've accomplished a lot, but am thankful I still have the drive to accomplish more as well. You said you feel like you play poker often because it is the most productive thing you can do with your time... but is it? At this point, playing poker offers you very little extra utility, because you are at a point where making more money does not add much more to your life. Find something that truly would be a productive use of your time, and knowing what a smart guy you are, I'm sure if you put your mind to it, you can find an outlet where all of your talents are best put to use... opening a business etc.

I feel like the two most important things in life are friends and family. Enjoy as many unique experiences as you can with the people you love. Live, laugh, love, cry. Those are the things in this life that are the most important and will give you the most satisfaction. Going back to school is a great idea and something I will likely do as well at some point. Its like you said, not to get started on a career, but to find something that interests you and perhaps, give something back to society. Enjoy whatever path you choose, but remember to enjoy it with the people most important to you.

<3 PHIL !!!! nh sir