advertisement_alt
ShipThisPLZ

how many BB do you need to be able to set mine?

Question

around >30bbs fine to set mine? I always wonder if im missing out on spots like this one...

Full Tilt Poker Game #22654153910: $2 + $0.20 Rebuy (174773426), Table 28 - 60/120 - No Limit Hold'em - 11:47:13 ET - 2010/07/28

Seat 1: starter84 (11,680)

Seat 2: EquilibriusX (4,270)

Seat 3: Abars4 (6,115)

Seat 4: walleyebill08 (9,835)

Seat 5: krakookas (4,660)

Seat 6: ShipThisPLZ (5,000)

EquilibriusX posts the small blind of 60

Abars4 posts the big blind of 120

The button is in seat #1

*** HOLE CARDS ***

Dealt to ShipThisPLZ [6s 6d]

walleyebill08 calls 120

krakookas raises to 540

ShipThisPLZ has 15 seconds left to act

edit: bad example i guess^^

Edited by ShipThisPLZ

17 answers to this question

meh i didnt read it, but really u need to be pretty deep, dont even set mine 30 bb IMO most cases esp if ur OOP unless ur sick and got good hand reading skills. Like without looking at the hand i already know Negreanue or even pry Phil Ivey would be playing it just the way they play on TV, guess I'm a nit tho. but odds of hitting set r ~ 8:1 and when u hit ur set u need to be getting paid. So i like implied odds of like 42x minimum, where we can potentially win 50 bb from our opponent on our initial call

edit: I read the HH if u call ur terrible, its already 3 bet ur in MP and have 66, u only have implied odds on ur stack of 10:1 - he bets 540 and u have 5k. U only have 10x of what he bet, this would be the worlds worst set mine ever...... ur going to be call/folding flop ~90% of the time and ur giving up ~15% of ur chips doing so

It is also a pretty clear push fold/spot to good players. not many good players r flatting these spots with any hand IMO, but who knows pry DJK would flat with 6 trey suited

Edited by jeppg1111

you should check the raisers stack...i think you want like 15-20x initial raise....so he woudl have to have 8k+ stack for this to be profitable....and obviously goes in to your stack.....unless you have 3930482308432 to 1 odds in a pot where everyone is playing, i would say anything under 10% of your stack to call would work as long as dude has 8k+ in his stack. thats the way i like to do it though....i could be a n00b

edit: to me though 10% still seems high.....it might still work...maybe 6-7% and no higher.

Edited by FoRsAkEn03

its not about number of bbs, its about implied odds

u need less BBs to set mine in a limped pot than u do in a 3x raised pot and u need less in a 3x than a 5x raised pot and u need less for that then in a 3bet pot and so on

its not about number of bbs, its about implied odds

u need less BBs to set mine in a limped pot than u do in a 3x raised pot and u need less in a 3x than a 5x raised pot and u need less for that then in a 3bet pot and so on

aha ty i understand little better, not the greatest with all the implied odds and all that stuff soo..

I suggest set mining if the blinds are small.

I like to use 11-1 as good implied odds for set mining. It's 7.5-1 against hitting a set and add 2.5x more for the rare but costly times that the set doesn't hold up. Add 1 more for your edge and you get 11.

What that means is make the call if both you and the raiser both have 11x what it takes to call.

You should factor in the likelihood of being reraised behind you, so the earlier position you are, the better implied odds you should look for.

Here's a nice table for this spot:

Your position Implied odds needed

Big Blind 11-1

Small Blind 11.5-1

Button 12-1

Cutoff 12.5-1

Two from button 13-1

Three from button 13.5-1

Four from button 14-1

Five from button 14.5-1

Six from button 15-1

Just an estimation, but I think it's pretty good.

Hope that helps! I stole this from Jennifear....lived by it since she gave it to me :)

GL

I suggest set mining if the blinds are small.

I like to use 11-1 as good implied odds for set mining. It's 7.5-1 against hitting a set and add 2.5x more for the rare but costly times that the set doesn't hold up. Add 1 more for your edge and you get 11.

What that means is make the call if both you and the raiser both have 11x what it takes to call.

You should factor in the likelihood of being reraised behind you, so the earlier position you are, the better implied odds you should look for.

Here's a nice table for this spot:

Your position Implied odds needed

Big Blind 11-1

Small Blind 11.5-1

Button 12-1

Cutoff 12.5-1

Two from button 13-1

Three from button 13.5-1

Four from button 14-1

Five from button 14.5-1

Six from button 15-1

Just an estimation, but I think it's pretty good.

Hope that helps! I stole this from Jennifear....lived by it since she gave it to me :)

GL

This is pretty bad advice. It only holds up if you can get all in every time you hit your set. What about the times the original raiser a) has junk and misses, b) has AK and misses, c) an overcard to their pair flops, killing the action?

I think the real number for a pure setmine (ie, no set, no bet) is far closer to 20-1.

This is pretty bad advice. It only holds up if you can get all in every time you hit your set. What about the times the original raiser a) has junk and misses, b) has AK and misses, c) an overcard to their pair flops, killing the action?

I think the real number for a pure setmine (ie, no set, no bet) is far closer to 20-1.

SFthis

pure set-mining in tourneys is pretty overrated imo

What?????????? It's the rebuy period so I'm set mining way more, as is the case here. Also, by calling here you get the limper to call most likely and even induce action from later positions to flat as well.

If its not a rebuy period though snap fold, because of what every1 else said

Edited by Steve Murkle

The ninja's on PokerXFactor think setmining is fine as long as you can win at least 15x the amount required to call iirc. Effective stacks need to be ~8,500 in your example. If you are more nitty and want 20, then we'd obviously need ~11k or so effective stacks.

What?????????? It's the rebuy period so I'm set mining way more, as is the case here. Also, by calling here you get the limper to call most likely and even induce action from later positions to flat as well.

not rebuy period, i wouldnt be asking this question..

How is this bad advice? The implied odds required account for the situations you mention (has junk and misses, has AK and misses, etc.)

ppl set mine during the rebuy period?