advertisement_alt
lucaduc

4 Sport Fantasy draft

I'm in a league that has combined all 4 major sports and decided to draft all sports in one sitting..so you can draft any sport at any time. All very standard scoring categories...football is point based (.5 ppr) and the rest are h2h categories

I have the 2nd pick in the draft..who should I be looking at? I have no hockey knowledge but it looks like Ovechkin is the most dominant in his sport. (it is also a "keeper" meaning you get a player for as long as their current deal is..so Ovechkin is 11 yrs, Lebron is 5 years, etc)

Players that I think should be considered

Ovechkin - 11yr

Crosby - 3yr

Lebron -5yr

Durant - 6yr

CJ - 3 yr

AP - 2 plus an option

if players get extensions before their current deal runs out, it counts for how long i get to keep a player..so who should be 1st/2nd on my big board????

edit: baseball is the deepest, so my plan is to stay away from MLB as long as possible and def not with the #2

Edited by lucaduc
That's a lot of research to do.

I'm no hockey fan, but I'm thinking if you can get the best player for that long, it's a no-brainer isn't it?

Yea I mean who knows how long your gonna be doing the league, but Ovechkin is definitely a monster fantasy scorer in hockey, and its guaranteed he will finish top 3 in scoring. Add in the 11 year contract I say you have to go with him. No one in sports can you really guarantee numbers like Ovechkin will put up, only Lebron comes close but will probably go 1.

well the #1 overall pick has said Ovechkin but idk if he's joking or not...if Ovechkin is gone who is my #2

Ovechkin 100%.... and this league sounds fun as hell.

this is how i feel about both comments...we wanted 12 but could only manage 10 owners

Edited by lucaduc

Here's my take, but ftr I might be a little bit biased towards the NBA, only because it's the sport that I'm most knowledgeable:

I know very little about hockey, but it sounds as though Ovy should be your clear cut first choice. If he's gone, I think you should go with Kevin Durant. Some people might say LeBron--those people probably don't realize that he won't be putting up 30/8/8 like he did the past couple of seasons. A) He's playing on by far the best team in the league, and he'll be sitting out a lot of 4th quarters, and B) He's playing on by far the best team in the league, and the level of his teammates will also bring down his numbers. I honestly think he'll be closer to 25/5/5 this season. We know he'll score, but Bosh and Haslem should have no problem controlling the boards by themselves, and this won't be a very assist-heavy team by any means, simply because the 3 guys they expect to do most of the scoring are all the "create for themselves" type players. Not saying you should avoid him, but he shouldn't be your #1 choice from the NBA.

Durant on the other hand, is in a position much like LeBron had in Cleveland. Outside of Westbrook and Jeff Green (who only avg'd like 30 ppg combined last season), OKC doesn't have much offensively. Durant might already be the most dominant scorer in the league, and even if he's not, he'll still put up the best numbers. Don't be surprised at all if he avg's 35 ppg this season, to go along with his 6 rebounds and 3 assists per, which should rise at least a little bit. Oh, and he's also only 21 years old. You said keeper-league?

If you go to the NFL, Chris Johnson or AP maybe, but be careful because it IS the NFL. A lot of injuries, etc. to worry about.

In the MLB, Pujols or maybe Joe Mauer would be safe, but outside of a select group of guys, baseball can be so unpredictable. I mean sometimes you see guys that hit .330 one season, then .250 the next. Or you see a guy pitch a 6+ ERA one season, then win the Cy Young the next. It's just hard to tell.

When it comes to basketball, you know what you're going to get. The great players will always be great, until they get too old to be great. Injuries are much less likely, and the numbers that they put up are far more consistent. That's why you should go with Mr. Durant. He's not only the safest pick, but he'll probably be a top 5 fantasy scorer in your league, not just the NBA.

- The initial draft will be 80 rounds - 16 NFL, 22 NHL, 15 NBA, and 27 MLB roster spots. These roster spots are the min/max (disregarding DL spots) for each sport; you cannot have 20 NFL players and only 23 MLB players. You will be drafting for all 4 teams in this same draft, so with the first overall pick you can take Lebron/Sidney/AP/Pujols, etc… It will be a snake style draft; we will randomly pick the order when people start showing up on draft day.

- All leagues will be in H2H format. Football will be point based, while all others will be category based. Scoring categories are in the next attachment. Divisions for each league will be randomly drawn on draft day. You will not have the same division for every sport (unless randomly selected that way). There will be 3 divisions in each league with 6 teams making the playoffs in every league. Please note that while 6 teams make the playoffs, ONLY 4 TEAMS WILL BE PAID FOR THE REGULAR SEASON. The last 2 wild card teams still get extra points for the overall standings because of the playoff scoring system, and have a chance at money in the playoffs.

- There will be a 3 matchup acquisition limit per week in basketball, baseball, and hockey. No players can be picked up once the season is over. The players in free agency when the league ends will go into the FA draft. All players who still have an existing contract will be on your team for the following year unless you drop them before the next year’s draft.

- While there is no salary cap for the league, contracts will be based on players’ current contracts. If you draft Carmello Anthony who has 1 year left on his deal there is a chance you can lose him. If Carmello is to sign an extension during the NBA season, he will stay on his current team in this league. However, if Carmello’s contract expires, for our purposes, he will go into the draft as a FA and the new team to draft Carmello will get the new NBA deal. Restricted free agents fall under the same category of players whose contracts expire. Players who get traded in real life have no effect on our league. For players with options in their contract, if the team or player decline the option, they are a FA/in the next year’s draft.

- The 2nd year draft order will be determined by reverse order of total points as of the current baseball standings (no baseball playoff points will be considered). This draft will NOT snake. To compensate teams losing superior players to free agency (a la MLB), if you lose a player whose ADP (average draft position on ESPN) is 20.0 or lower, you will receive a compensatory pick after the first round. This will be in order of how high the player was drafted. If you have a player with an ADP 30.0 or lower, you will receive a pick after the 4th round. No other compensatory picks will be given out. The length of this draft will depend on the number of roster spots open.

these are the main rules i came up with...we came up with seperate baseball rules since we will be drafting (sunday) while baseball is still going on from the season before....obv when we draft on sunday, we are drafting for baseball 2011 and have to anticipate rankings, etc... based on this years stats

Sign me up if you are in charge & holding for it..

Id be up for doing it, but we'd have to all go over a few things.

1. This seems like a ton of work to maintain, as I'd have to manually record our draft and manually input our rosters into each league - along with the standard aspects of running an event (making sure everyone signs up, organizing a draft, dealing with squabbles throughout the year, etc). I know I've ran some slightly complicated things on here in the past, but I think for something like this I'd probably ask for a fee. If people have an issue with that I completely understand, and would love love love to participate in the league if we could find someone else to run it.

2. I don't like the contract thing, as I think it'll be harder to get it going and keep it going if it's gonna be a many year thing. I think running it from football season to football season would be fine. Then, when next year rolls around anyone who wants to do it again can.

3. With how extensive the league it, I think we should have 16 teams if we can get enough people. Capped at 16 I think though.

4. we'd have to figure out a buy in, which is probably going to be a decent amount compared to the normal leagues on here as its 4 different leagues + an overall pool.

5. We'd have to figure out a method to do trades if we wanted - like Chris Johnson and Roy Halladay for Shonne Greene and Pujols type things. I think it wouldnt be too difficult, but we'd definitely want to handle how we're doing that beforehand. I think that whatever we choose, you can't gain a player or lose a player in a spot. You example you cant trade Chris Johnson for Crosby. You can trade Chris Johnson and Hockey Scrub for Crosby and Football scrub though. Thats just my thoughts on that, but would love to hear everyones opinion on it.

6. Thedraft would take a while, so if we want to do it we'd have to get on it asap. Possibly even break it down to a couple 2-3 hr group chats or skype calls or something? Maybe even via email (idk bout that tho)

just let me know how all that sounds, cause this could be amazing

I like the idea of a keeper league.. Not sure if it should be based on contract or if it should just be you can keep "X" amount of players.. Would play though if it wasn't a keeper, don't care if its a low stakes or high stakes league as I am doing it for fun..

In order for me to play though, draft would have to be in Sept (getting married on Aug 28th) and would have to be semi-early (i.e. 5pm EST the latest as this is midnight for me).. I might join anyway, and just have a friend or sister (she is mad good at fantasy leagues, puts me to shame) do the draft and go partners with him/her on the team..

Edited by wackyJaxon
sister has mad skillz
I like the idea of a keeper league.. Not sure if it should be based on contract or if it should just be you can keep "X" amount of players.. Would play though if it wasn't a keeper, don't care if its a low stakes or high stakes league as I am doing it for fun..

In order for me to play though, draft would have to be in Sept (getting married on Aug 28th) and would have to be semi-early (i.e. 5pm EST the latest as this is midnight for me).. I might join anyway, and just have a friend or sister (she is mad good at fantasy leagues, puts me to shame) do the draft and go partners with him/her on the team..

I would love a keeper format also, I just didnt like the contract aspect. I think a "you can keep x players total" thing would be cool as you could keep a couple studs from each league, or keep together a really really good team in one league and rebuild another.

As for the draft, Im thinking early Sept would be fine, and we could work around the time Id assume ... do it on a Saturday or something

Congrats on the wedding,and even more so for havign a sister who has mad fantasy sports skills. Pics obv