advertisement_alt
isuck123

Can a part time player, who doesnt MA, Ghost, isnt backed and uses no technology win?

Question

Been reading some of multiple threads about MA, ghosting, Mizzi, programs, etc...and came to thinking.

In todays online environment, can a part time player (say 1 night a week and every other Sunday) who uses no special programs (no traker, ninja, whatever the hell people are using and discussing) is NOT backed, does NOT MA, does NOT ghost, and has ZERO discussions with any friends about poker hands (because most his friends understand sports not poker and only know what they see on TV)....can that type of player be expected to be a winner in online tourneys in today's environment? Oh, and plays in only 2 or 3 tournies at a time when playing. (never one, sometimes 4).

Will NEVER have the volume i did in 2004-2006, not even 1/5th of it. so can an old schooler playing straight with no help , no programs, no anything be able to show success when they DO play?

EDIT: i play 'high stakes' i wont play anything under $100 buyin, cant get motivated, and like to play the larger tournies such as 1K FT, 300 Wed stars, big Sundays etc. I am not talking about playing $1-$20 buy ins.

in addition regarding Darvin Moon comment, i am SPECIFICALLY referring to ONLINE poker, not live...where obviously you cant MA, us software, etc

Edited by isuck123

shove pre

YES

Look at my stats, i am a part time player at low stakes and only play 2-4 tournies at a time and only play 1-3 days a week at most.

I believe my ROI is around 60-70% over two sites for 3 yrs now. I am not rich from poker but definitely have made ok part time supplementary income.

Also, I use no poker software of any sort. My only source of knowledge has been PXF and this forum :)))))

lol, I had thought about posting this exact same question, with all the shit that has been going on. I suspect like me you dont really need or want an answer but were just throwing the question out there. And it is a good question. You've been playing a long time so I doubt this shit will stop you. I suppose its best to think that most people are playing like you, but at the high stakes you would definitley be at more of a disadvantage than us folks at mid to lower stakes.

GL

OP I wouldn't blame programs, MA'ers, and all of that other stuff for the games being tougher (though it certainly doesn't help). It's not 2004 anymore (in those days I'm pretty sure a monkey could be trained to win), players are much better due to years of playing, the availability of information, training sites etc. You use to crush it back in the day, there's no reason to think you still couldn't have some success if you put some time studying - but If you just decide to fire up some 1k's on a whim you will likely get your ass handed to you.

Sounds like you're complaining more than anything in your post. How about not blaming MA-ers, ghosting or Pokertracker and evaluating your game? I think you might assume that you can't make good money grinding midstakes but multiple 5k+ scores and not having to play the absolute best of the best mtters can be quite profitable (and rewarding). I don't know how you play or anything, but it kind of sounds like you're placing the blame in the wrong direction. FWIW, my backer doesn't use any software, MA or ghost when playing EVER, and he has over a million in winnings from MTTs alone. So yes, you can. But you have to be good player OBV. edit: not saying you're a bad player, but pretty much what apology said: you can't just fire up the weekly 1ks and expect to be running over the competition.

Edited by cgidd8
OP I wouldn't blame programs, MA'ers, and all of that other stuff for the games being tougher (though it certainly doesn't help). It's not 2004 anymore (in those days I'm pretty sure a monkey could be trained to win), players are much better due to years of playing, the availability of information, training sites etc. You use to crush it back in the day, there's no reason to think you still couldn't have some success if you put some time studying - but If you just decide to fire up some 1k's on a whim you will likely get your ass handed to you.

Players aren't tougher...everyone is just bad aggro now which = higher variance. Still just as stupid as a couple years ago.

Players aren't tougher...everyone is just bad aggro now which = higher variance. Still just as stupid as a couple years ago.

Wat??? Players are a lot tougher now, to the point where good regulars are almost unexploited with 15-30bb stacks. You might see it as being 'bad aggro' but it's clearly much more profitable to take high variance lines than to call raises with a 15bb stack and fold the flop. People are slowly learning that and that's why its pretty damn hard to maintain a 100% roi when back in the day it was the norm.

From the tone of ur post it doesn't sound like ud win, regardless of MAing, backing, software, etc

not everyone is a winner, not everyone can win

the highest stakes online mtts are tough nowadays, and if ur only playing 10 mtts a week or less your just not going to be good enough long term unless u spend heaps of time studying while ur not playing

but... Yes, someone who doesn't MA, isn't backed, doesn't use software, and has no poker friends can win.

Absolutely. It's a hard game at the top, but you can study it and learn a lot without pokertracker. Being backed doesn't help you win. Multitabling makes you less profit per game, so if you are playing two, your ROI will be higher, and you'll be more likely to be profitable than if you are playing 8 (even though that might mean less profit per hour).

A better question is that if you aren't beating the games you are playing, why are you averse to dropping down? Finding the game that makes you the most per hour (or per game) is how you put yourself in the best position to win.

If you are good at poker, you are good at poker, and you'll be fine.

why are ppl semi-bragging about not studying the game and simultaneously proposing they should be able to/can beat it? more than anything else studying your own game and taking and absorbing things other people do effectively are what separate retards from components from regs from sickos... to answer your question tho, no you prob dont have much of a shot to win over any large sample simply b/c you'll never have a large sample

Absolutely. It's a hard game at the top, but you can study it and learn a lot without pokertracker. Being backed doesn't help you win. Multitabling makes you less profit per game, so if you are playing two, your ROI will be higher, and you'll be more likely to be profitable than if you are playing 8 (even though that might mean less profit per hour).

A better question is that if you aren't beating the games you are playing, why are you averse to dropping down? Finding the game that makes you the most per hour (or per game) is how you put yourself in the best position to win.

If you are good at poker, you are good at poker, and you'll be fine.

can you elaborate?

Edited by siola
and this is coming from someone who rarely plays more than 5 tables but does play 4-5 days a week ie. not high volume