advertisement_alt
Jennifear

How to use tools to study your game! - Post #10,001!

Question

Hi folks! This is my celebration for post #10,000. I used post 10,000 on something infinitely more important than poker, so this is post 10,001!

I want to take the time to thank all of you for making me a better player, and for allowing me to give back to the community over the years.

I haven't been able to post as much over the last few months because I've been very busy, ironically in no small part due to Pocketfives, it's members, and my great relationship with the folks here.

I'm posting something that I hope will be helpful to players of all skill levels that will allow you to improve your game. I hope it's helpful and that you enjoy it!

Study tools:

1. ICM Calculator: 3 places

This tool is for calculating the ICM-value of your chips, generally for use in a SNG.

- Type in the stacks and the prizes, like this,

PICTURE1.jpg

and you will get a result that looks like this.

PICTURE2.jpg

What this means is that the value of the 6600's player's chips is $33.46.

How this is calculated:

Probability of finishing 1st = .4889 x $45 = $22.00

+ Probability of finishing 2nd = .3185 x $27 = $8.60

+ Probability of finishing 3rd = .1590 x $18 = $2.86

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

$33.46

There are some limitations to the ICM model, but this will give you an approximate idea of what your chips are worth at any given time.

2. ICM Calculator: 10 places

This is the same as #1, but it's only slightly harder to use. The first calculator only has slots for 3 prizes, so use this calculator if the first one goes down for maintenance or if you want to calculate ICM for a 18-man, 45-man, or final table of a MTT.

3. Nash ICM Push/Fold Calculator

This tool allows you to calculate perfect push/fold for any situation. It's limitations are that:

- it assumes your opponents are perfect (though with the Beta version you may adjust your opponent's ranges now)

- it assumes push or fold are the only available options (so it's pretty useless with a lot of BBs in your stack)

- it only takes ICM and future play into consideration, and doesn't account for the limitations of ICM, such as loss of fold equity, the intangible value of being the chipleader, etc.

Here's how we would enter a $15+1 18-man hand, where UTG had 5500, BU had 8000, SB had 7000 and BB had 6000. 300-600 blinds, 50 antes, and prizes of $108, $81, $54, $27:

PICTURE3.jpg

* Enter player stacks ordered by preflop-action. UTG first, UTG+1 second, etc.

Structure notes:

- The default structure of .5, .3, .2 is for a standard 9-10 man SNG. If you are playing a 9-man, there is no need to change the structure.

- Use structure "1" to calculate chip equity (cEV).

- The structure only goes to five places, so this is only useful for 45+ mans or MTTs with 5 or fewer players remaining. If you remove 6th place money from all the places, you can use it for 6 left as well.

Some typical structures:

18man: 4,3,2,1

45man PS: 11,7,4,2,1

Hyperturbo 6-mans PS: 10,10,4

Once you put in the hand, you will get a chart:

http://www.holdemresources.net/hr/sngs/icmcalculator.html?action=calculate&bb=600&sb=300&ante=50&structure=108%2C81%2C54%2C27&s1=5500&s2=8000&s3=7000&s4=6000&s5=&s6=&s7=&s8=&s9=

4-1.jpg

First, find the pusher. Use the column on the left (PU: Pushing Player. Applies when no other player entered the pot yet.). This means that the cutoff's optimal pushing range is {21.6%, 22+ A2s+ A9o+ K9s+ KTo+ Q9s+ QTo+ J9s+ T9s}. If he folds, the BU can push 54.8%, and if the BU folds, the SB may push any two cards.

Next, find the caller using the CA column. (CA: Calling Player. Player pushes after another player (PU) is already in the pot.) Look underneath the shover's range in the CA column. In this example, if the BU pushes 54.8%, then the SB can call {4.2%, 99+ AQs+ AKo}, which is the first "SB" in the CA column that is underneath the pusher's range. (see illustration).

PICTURE5.jpg

Next, underneath the caller's range, if you want to calculate an overcall, use the OC column the same way. So if the BU pushes 54.8%, and the SB calls 4.2%, then the BB can overcall with AA only.

PICTURE6.jpg

To better use this tool, always understand that your opponent's ranges are not perfect. Some examples:

- If you think your opponents are shoving tighter ranges than optimal, you would likely benefit from calling with a tighter range as well.

- If you think your opponents are calling too tight, you should probably shove more often to take advantage of the increased fold equity.

- If you think your opponents are calling too loose, you may elect to shove a tighter range due to decreased fold equity.

4. Nash Equilibrium Chart

This tool allows you to calculate optimal pushing and folding ranges against a perfect opponent.

PICTRE7.jpg

If you are the pusher, push if you a the number of BBs equal to or less than the number on the chart. For instance, the Nash number for 96o is 5.2 (see illustration):

PICTURE8.jpg

That means that you may shove 5.2BB or less without worrying about being exploited.

Hint: Most of your opponents are likely calling too seldom, so you might shove more than the number on the chart.

Here's an article on how to adapt to imperfect opponents:

Leader of the Stack - HU article

Hope that helps!

5. ProPokerTools Hold'em Oracle

This tool will tell you which hands win often enough to call with against a shover's range.

Let's set the stage. 50-100. SB shoves. You have 900 left after posting. If you call, the pot will be 2000 total. 900/2000 = 45%, so you need to win this hand 45% of the time in order to call. To use the oracle for this spot:

PICTURE9.jpg

For the shover's range, you may use an actual range, or a % of hands. If you think your opponent is shoving 38%, then just type "38%" where his range goes. If you think your opponent is shoving 22+, any ace, K7+, you would type: "AA-22, A*, KQ-K7" into that box, and this would be your result:

PICTURE10.jpg

Your calling range would be {22+, A7o+, A4s+, KQo, KTs+}, because these are the hands that win at least 45% of the time against the shover's range.

6. Holdem Simulator

This tool helps you determine how your hand will do against a range of hands. The syntax is the same as the oracle. If we were comparing 32o against "top 25% of all hands", we would input the hand like this:

PICTURE6-1.jpg

, and get this:

8-1.jpg

This tells us that 32o has 28.9% equity against the opponent with a "top 25%" range.

Since this post is 10000+ characters long, I'll continue with a reply......

pencil.png

pencil.png

Edited by Jennifear
Big red X cause I am a n00b at posting pictures!

29 answers to this question

7. Fold Equity Calculator

This tool tells us if a bluff, semibluff, resteal, or preflop push is a profitable play.

Let's set the stage. Here's the hand. Punkinbear is the hero in the BB with Kd9d and 8930 chips. Lopezgz (13006) minraises to 1000 and NoR CaL NuTz calls. We are considering a resteal shove:

Pic7-1.jpg

The stack we are shoving is 8930, and the pot is 3040. I feel that K9s has about 35% equity against the hands that will call me if I make a resteal squeeze shove.

pic7-2.jpg

If I feel that BOTH of my opponents will fold a combined 35% of the time, then my contemplated shove would be a profitable play.

Another example:

I am in the BB with 1885 chips. Bo (a serial limp/folder) is limping, the SB completes, and I am considering a shove:

7-3.jpg

I feel that 83o will win 31% of the time against his calling range, and there is 775 in the pot.

pic7-4.jpg

If I feel that the limper and the SB will fold 38% or more of the time, then a shove is a profitable play.

Hope that helps! Feel free to ask any questions about how to use these tools, and I will be around to answer them later tonight!

Thank you everybody for a wonderful experience, and I'm looking forward to post #20k someday!

Jennifear

Edited by Jennifear
Oh man....we're gonna start seeing a bunch of people shoving 83os now. Great.....haha...j/k...great post Jen. Helpful as always.

And saying "Jenn said it was a good move", because 95% of people won't know when, or why it can be good. And of course, despite having the Nash calculator here, there will be 37 new threads by the end of the week with a title on the lines of "SNG bubble, is this a call? ".

Now the reason of my post: I want to thank Jenn for all the times she's gone out of her way to give me and many others a hand, and there have been many of those. This place wouldn't be the same without those 10K posts.

You rock teacher!

Edited by andressoprano

i really hope you are being paid by somebody to do this, I mean the hell are certain individuals so desperate to educate others and directly hurt there bottom line? not to mention the people who already know how to play