advertisement_alt
Parky 32

What % of ranked players are broke?

Question

yea umm but you see it isnt poor money management if you've been staked from the day you learned how to play poker. Where do you come up with a supposed $100k roll wtf? Sure I could go work at McDonalds for a month, deposit all my checks on stars, grind and crush micros on my own. Who couldnt with half a brain? The point of getting staked is to play shit you wouldnt be able to on your own roll. Dont know how many regs plan on grinding it out in micro-mid stakes for an eternity and keep chasing $6k scores everyday, so that they can cash out fkin $4500 every month for the rest of their lives, but that sounds like a joke of an existence to me. Too smart of a person to waste the prime years of my life wallowing around in midstakes with a bunch of idiots and never actually get good at poker, so that I can live slightly better life than I would if I worked at Best Buy.

It would seem to me that people of a similar age and of at least some sort of mental capacity, would see the rational behind trying to make it big while youre young and you dont have any real financial obligations. Lots of people waste years of their lives just trying to get properly rolled for highstakes, without even knowing that theres a very good chance theyll never succeed there anyways. Tournament poker can only provide a great lifestyle to the truly elite somewhere down the road. If youre like over 25 and not "elite" youre just being a fkin degenerate witherist and need to quit and go to college and wind up on some sort of career path asap if you ever want to have a decent life. Otherwise youre gonna wake up one day like 30 years old with no family/friends (apart from your AIM list of course), in a very difficult if even still existent poker environment, too old to go back to school, and be hating yourself for the position youre in. So see if you can crush while youre young, see if you can become one of the best. Dont see if you can grind out a mediocre living, anyone can, and if thats what you want youre an idiot for not playing cash or sngs anyways.

So maybe youre right, and I am very ignorant. Or maybe, justtttt maybe, its you. Think about it for a lil bit next time youre auto-piloting your 18bb stack in the $20 1n1 hoping for that one time!

This is one of the worst posts I've ever read. How can you criticize somebody making $4500 a month playing midstakes when you've been playing high stakes tourneys for a while and are broke? As someone who was a busto backed tourney player for a long time I can honestly say it is a terrible existence and not one I would recommend for anyone. If you are in some sort of situation where you need to chase a huge score and it will not bother you to be in a shit ton of makeup and have no money to live then sure go for it.

People need to remember gboro and moorman were not a backed busto degens at one time that just binked a million in a few weeks and never looked back. Gboro has been around forever (literally forever hes like 42 years old) and in the early years he grinded hard was not backed and gradually made enough money to comfortably handle any swongs he had to deal with.

I also understand what marleygroup is saying, I just don't agree with the choices. You are consciously choosing higher variance and a lower expected earning which are two things that are very very valuable to anyone in any financial field.

Edited by SCTrojans

if im backed, in makeup, dont like grinding but want to play only hsmtt's;i guess that makes me necessarily broke as per the direction of this thread? for some, at least for me, being backed is a lifestyle choice for a particular time in my life when i am interested in playing poker while knowing it's not my long term objective to keep playing (if you want millions, like 30-40million lifetime, poker is not a viable profession)- while i recognize the inherent value in grinding midstakes unbacked, what if i just hate grinding? another facet to the discussion is the inability of the midstakes, unbacked player to play extremely high value live 10k's and higher around the world which are full of half sickos and half rich fish

if im backed, in makeup, dont like grinding but want to play only hsmtt's;i guess that makes me necessarily broke as per the direction of this thread? for some, at least for me, being backed is a lifestyle choice for a particular time in my life when i am interested in playing poker while knowing it's not my long term objective to keep playing (if you want millions, like 30-40million lifetime, poker is not a viable profession)- while i recognize the inherent value in grinding midstakes unbacked, what if i just hate grinding? another facet to the discussion is the inability of the midstakes, unbacked player to play extremely high value live 10k's and higher around the world which are full of half sickos and half rich fish

hey someone gets it

And to everyone else, sorry if you're like 25 or older and aspiring to grind your way up and I somehow I offended you. Im just being realistic though in saying that if you're that age and have been playing mtts for more than a year or two and still are not very good, youre probably always going to be not very good. Obviously there are people with extenuating circumstances and no statement is all inclusive, but for the general population I feel that everything Ive said in this thread is pretty sound advice if you are a smart enough person to go to a good university and make $100k+ a year in the real world.

Edited by MarleyGroup

Yeah while I've been busto and backed before. I really do take exception to backed = busto.

Being backed gives the player an opportunity to accumulate wealth while RISKING ZERO. Sure I've been winning a decent amount lately but I'm not an idiot, downswings happen. I have money to play on my own, according to almost all BRM requirement articles. However, I have good backers, who recognize that I work hard for them, select games pretty well, and maintain very good communication. For this, I have been rewarded with a very good deal making it almost silly to leave. I guess my point is it really doesn't matter what path you take to get backed or to get ranked or whatever. It doesn't just END there.

Now figuring out a way to actually accumulate this money is really not easy. I've been (successful and unsucessful) at it since 2004. Most people can't do it. Thats just a fact. Its taken me way longer that most to be comfortable and profitable.

I guess my point is it really doesn't matter what path you take to get backed or to get ranked or whatever.

/sorry for rant just typed sure this makes little to no sense.

Not to bash you again, but this time I feel, along with others, that ur being more ignorant by telling someone else to be ignorant when his post is pretty spot on. Yeah variance is a bitch blah blah blah, but realistically, how can you go broke from a 100k roll playing mtts when a 1 buck mtt is offered? Surrrrrrrrrrely you will always be rolled for the micro buy ins? It IS basically poor money mangt....playing too high, buying too much weed/expensive other shit you don't need...you should always be able to drop down in limits at anytime in ur career. Sucks, but you should never go broke from shit that you can pretty much control (meaning, you can't control variance/losing, but you can lower your variance/play lower stakes til u regain $).

Does happen if you have decent Sunday buy ins mixed in..I mean, I'm not the best but just playing the normal 200 fos on Sundays easily is 3k. One bad month and Sundays alone are 12-15k, plus spending 1-2k a weekday and boom, ur in the hole 30k.

I agree with what your saying here but in looking at your Stars graph There were times where your downswings were half of your profit for the entire site. There is no way, EVER, that a midstakes player should be having dips like this. High stakes players will have variance like this because the edge is so minimal and the fields are so large... but midstakes should be pure rape with minimum variance. I guess if you are playing for fun/recreation its no big deal consistently going for huge scores but if you are trying to make a living out of it having recurring drops of 300-400 buyins is insane.

I agree with what your saying here but in looking at your Stars graph There were times where your downswings were half of your profit for the entire site. There is no way, EVER, that a midstakes player should be having dips like this. High stakes players will have variance like this because the edge is so minimal and the fields are so large... but midstakes should be pure rape with minimum variance. I guess if you are playing for fun/recreation its no big deal consistently going for huge scores but if you are trying to make a living out of it having recurring drops of 300-400 buyins is insane.

your joking bout this part? It's 2010 bro, not 2006 anymore

yDont know how many regs plan on grinding it out in micro-mid stakes for an eternity and keep chasing $6k scores everyday, so that they can cash out fkin $4500 every month for the rest of their lives, but that sounds like a joke of an existence to me. Too smart of a person to waste the prime years of my life wallowing around in midstakes with a bunch of idiots and never actually get good at poker

Marley would you be interested in a 3 month prop bet (OCT thru DEC) to see who makes more money playing mtts? I'll primarily stick to mid-stakes stuff and my abi will probably be less than $70. We can count both FTP and STARS and use OPR for reference. I'd bet up to 2k on this at 1:1 odds if we can find a reliable holder. This would be a fun challenge if nothing else.

Marley would you be interested in a 3 month prop bet (OCT thru DEC) to see who makes more money playing mtts? I'll primarily stick to mid-stakes stuff and my abi will probably be less than $70. We can count both FTP and STARS and use OPR for reference. I'd bet up to 2k on this at 1:1 odds if we can find a reliable holder. This would be a fun challenge if nothing else.

Just sit down at a heads up table if you want me to take your $2k.

Me thinks Marley doesn't have many college graduate friends with "real" jobs...they hate their life, almost all of them LOL. I don't have a single friend that makes more money than me that doesn't envy my lifestyle, and I've got some friends with some pretty decent change...and I also don't make that much. Time and money are important and if you treat this game with those two things in mind, it can be extremely enjoyable. And in terms of midstakes tourneys...there will always be ridic amts of dead money. Which prize pools/guarantees are constantly being upped and which are relatively the same as 3 years ago??

p.s. I'm a 6th yr senior in Marketing w/a minor in finance so plz don't flame me for knocking college grads. I apparently aspire to be one :)

Edited by squintster
that's not what this is about. i wanna show you what a real grinder does son

What makes you any more of a grinder than MarleyGroup or anyone else for that matter?

I see both sides. Marley doesn't wanna grind midstakes so he can pay the bills, save a tiny bit, etc. The midstakes are called midstakes for a reason. There is a CEILING. You can only make X amount grinding just midstakes.

Siola's point about live 10ks is interesting too. Being backed for a chance at life altering money in really good spots is certainly appealing. Of course, there is always another side to the sword. Bricking live 10ks = heaps of makeup (yes I know I'm stating the obvious, it really is necessary around here sometimes).

Siola's point about live 10ks is interesting too. Being backed for a chance at life altering money in really good spots is certainly appealing. Of course, there is always another side to the sword. Bricking live 10ks = heaps of makeup (yes I know I'm stating the obvious, it really is necessary around here sometimes).

i know it's not an option sometimes, but I really don't know/see how a lot of you keep your online/live MU in 1 basket. Online 10k=50+ tournies where Live 10k=1. I understand these are some things you can't control at times, but some people with certain results can def. work out Online only or Live only deals.

well bbbbb333, no disrespect to you, marleygroup, or any other HS player - some day I want to be there too but I don't feel I'm ready yet . I do take offense to marleygroup saying mid-stacks guys suck etc, etc. i've only been a professional for about a year now but in that time i've made a quarter mill playing the "lowly mid-stakes" with only a few small five figure scores. I just want to prove they can be profitable and us ginders make a shitload more than 4k a month and we keep all our money at the end of the day. Well gtg, $11 freezeout is starting.

I put in decent volume in mtts, never ranked that high, but if i didnt play hu sngs and cash on cake I would b broke/in alot of mu or much less money fuck mtts but its wcoop so gl all

Says the man that got 2nd in the 100r for 33k yesterday. Congrats bro been a long time coming.

Me thinks Marley doesn't have many college graduate friends with "real" jobs...they hate their life, almost all of them LOL. I don't have a single friend that makes more money than me that doesn't envy my lifestyle, and I've got some friends with some pretty decent change...and I also don't make that much. Time and money are important and if you treat this game with those two things in mind, it can be extremely enjoyable. And in terms of midstakes tourneys...there will always be ridic amts of dead money. Which prize pools/guarantees are constantly being upped and which are relatively the same as 3 years ago??

p.s. I'm a 6th yr senior in Marketing w/a minor in finance so plz don't flame me for knocking college grads. I apparently aspire to be one :)

I agree. I graduated May 2009 and work in public accounting now making a very decent salary, but every morning I wake up hating my life. If I could grind mid-stakes poker for the same salary per year I would do it in a heartbeat.

shouldve majored in something else champ

At least with his major he's going to walk out of school with a much higher % chance of getting a job out the gate. Most business degree holders etc find themselves going back to grad school trying to make something happen; all whilst racking up huge amts of debt. Shout out to the midstakes grinders putting decent $ in the bank...at the very least we enjoy what we do for the most part.

Edited by squintster
At least with his major he's going to walk out of school with a much higher % chance of getting a job out the gate. Most business degree holders etc find themselves going back to grad school trying to make something happen; all whilst racking up huge amts of debt. Shout out to the midstakes grinders putting decent $ in the bank...at the very least we enjoy what we do for the most part.

This is true. Had a job locked up before i graduated (brag). Accounting sucks, but if I ever need a job, accounting will always be in demand.

Still would rather be a mid-stakes grinder though

Edited by StayCalm
commas ftw