Do you look at payouts at final table?

Do you look at payouts of a tourney at final table  

385 members have voted

1. 1. Do you look at payouts of a tourney at final table

• Yes:
    • No
    • Sometimes

Question

I used to not look at the payouts when playing a final table with the idea that I was there to win and if I finished anywhere else then I got whatever money that was. I didnt want the next money jump to subconsciously influence my decisions.

Now I tend to look at payouts with the idea that I might exploit certain spots where the payjump might make others play tighter.

another buddy and I were discussing the subject and I thought I'd make a poll.

coooooonstantly... when and if i do make a final table... im pretty much the king of letting everyone gobble themselves up then limpin in to the HU match short as all hell... sometimes i rally and take it... but usually i rally then get it in with the best and get punished lol

*edit*

but the reason i keep up with it is so i know if its worth calling a hand or if its better to just fold and make the next payout level.. maybe try and find a better spot.. im sure someone who actually knows wth theyre talkin about will chime in with the true reason you should.. big fancy words n all =)

Edited by daddywarduxx

I do. Not always because I know some of the payout structures on some sites by heart. My goal is to know when it's correct to make a call, and sometimes the best chip-EV play isn't the best $EV play as a caller (Hint: This is VERY true if you have a big stack, but someone bigger pushes at you). Also I like to know where the bigger jumps are so I can get into my opponent's heads and see where they are more likely to make a tough laydown. Armed with this information, I can often make a looser shove/reshove/crazy 4bet shove etc.

Yes, though I don't let it influence my own play-it's something I regard as part of the table dynamics, cos in so many cases, others are ladder-climbing, and I aim to ruthlessly exploit those players.

that would be me sitting on a short stack... trying not to really play anything... so i raise too much.. or i reraise to commit myself to let u know you should probably just fold... tho i can be a thief as well...

your strategy is beast if you can make it happen... i always end up donkin it off tho.. its like timing is everything in this game and im pretty bad at pickin the right time lol

ps i suck

I do. Not always because I know some of the payout structures on some sites by heart. My goal is to know when it's correct to make a call, and sometimes the best chip-EV play isn't the best $EV play as a caller (Hint: This is VERY true if you have a big stack, but someone bigger pushes at you). Also I like to know where the bigger jumps are so I can get into my opponent's heads and see where they are more likely to make a tough laydown. Armed with this information, I can often make a looser shove/reshove/crazy 4bet shove etc.

cliffs: exploit weakness... and ICM matters

Completely agree with all... esp the bold..

not looking at the pay-outs would be a disaster..

Making plays that are +$EV but not making them because of the pay-outs is a leak though..

correct you are =(

so i try to make up for it by stealing blinds at least once every 2 rounds (not good) but aim for .5-1.5... when i steal i raise the same as my monsters.. why the hell am i giving myself away lol it doesnt matter tho someone will always think they have the better hand (including myself).. im not really sure what kind of poker i play (pretty sure its tag) its like slowly turned into this after nearly 10 years (off and on) my original style was LAG tho.. i was lookin to party.. raise crazy and ready for coin flips lol

*edit*

i mean i never have studied.. at all... about poker period.. i pretty much learned over the course of years and now im like damn i dont know shit... ev wtf?! but.. i think i do this subliminally (obv brag) lmao.. anyways i do want to know more, never can know enough.. so i guess i got alot of reading to do.. shits almost like rocket science tho sometimes

Edited by daddywarduxx

i won't lie...i hardly even know what first is 1/2 the time

edit: actually, i usually have a general idea of what first is, since like i know waht first pays in most daily tournaments...like i know ballpark what it is, but rarely exactly know until after the tourney is over...and even then sometimes i don't know until i get the email and see it in there

Edited by Gags30
edit: actually, i usually have a general idea of what first is, since like i know waht first pays in most daily tournaments...like i know ballpark what it is, but rarely exactly know until after the tourney is over...and even then sometimes i don't know until i get the email and see it in there

im not sure but i think thats when you know you win too much

I kind of have an obsession with looking at the payouts no matter how many players are left... dont really know what it is but everytime I have a free few seconds I look at the lobby to see how many people are left and look at the payouts even though I've seen them about 50 times already

once i know what 1st place is u can kinda guess what 1s-9th is anyways. like if i play the 129ko on a tuesday its always gunna be the same money roughly for those places so i mean i rarely look at the payouts but thats just from already kinda knowing them

i dont really look at the payouts as a tool for aggression level at all times. if its say 6 handed and everyone is close in chip stacks i tend to not worry about it and keep playinng my normal game. but if say the chip counts are spread out more like 500k, 400k, 200k, 150k, 150k, 50k at 4000/8000/1000 i would probably look to open up against chip stacks shorter than mine.

OK.....obv Im biased to the wsop bracelet winner and the #2 ranked guy so I ask you this question....(to those two guys mainly)

You both are play for the win guys right?

Why then or how do you use the payout positions to help maximize your $?

well you dont always have a real chance to win, sometimes it is better to just sit tight and move up from like 9th/8th to 4th instead of just donkin it in in the first marginal spot...or your best chance to win is to just hang around for as long as possible until u get good spots/hands

i agree with jlizard i look at the lobbies, not always for payouts but for blind levels, whos still left and where theyre at and their chipstacks

Edited by MarkFSU1