Do you look at payouts at final table?

Do you look at payouts of a tourney at final table  

385 members have voted

1. 1. Do you look at payouts of a tourney at final table

• Yes:
    • No
    • Sometimes

Question

I used to not look at the payouts when playing a final table with the idea that I was there to win and if I finished anywhere else then I got whatever money that was. I didnt want the next money jump to subconsciously influence my decisions.

Now I tend to look at payouts with the idea that I might exploit certain spots where the payjump might make others play tighter.

another buddy and I were discussing the subject and I thought I'd make a poll.

OK.....obv Im biased to the wsop bracelet winner and the #2 ranked guy so I ask you this question....(to those two guys mainly)

You both are play for the win guys right?

Why then or how do you use the payout positions to help maximize your $?

As I said in my other post, I play to make the most money. Knowing how big the pay jumps are means knowing that a +cev spot may be a -$ev spot.

As I said in my other post, I play to make the most money. Knowing how big the pay jumps are means knowing that a +cev spot may be a -$ev spot.

i really got to go w/ this. i think i have cost my self tons of money b/c im like lets go for the win. i think ur always looking for the win but there are some spots that you should play more carefully. like not flipping w/ the chip leader when ur in the top 5 w/ 9 left w/ plenty of play. idk but i think the right way to play these final tables is to maneuver ur way into the top 3 then go for it and take all the +CEV spots you can find. unless 1st and 2nd are deep and 3rd is really short.

I certainly look but like a lot of people have said, if you play the same schedule every session you have a really good idea of what first place is. However I have a friend that NEVER looks at the payouts and will get really pissed if I'm sweating him and mention something like "hey 7k for first man, not bad." I also wonder for those that never look how they track their winnings and losses.

Edited by Danezone

I usually look at the top 3 or whatever is shown in the lobby, but never really look to see what 1-9 pays.. If you know what 1-3 pay u can kinda estimate the rest. As far as taking advantage of the other players, well obv 1st pays the most, and the jumps get bigger as you go. When there is 9 left no one wants to finish 9th, when there are 8 left no one wants to finish 8th ect lol

i won't lie...i hardly even know what first is 1/2 the time

edit: actually, i usually have a general idea of what first is, since like i know waht first pays in most daily tournaments...like i know ballpark what it is, but rarely exactly know until after the tourney is over...and even then sometimes i don't know until i get the email and see it in there

sfsick

im def lookin

Tried not looking for awhile, didn't like it.. Memorized an estimate of the payouts of most daily tourneys...

The reason I didn't look is because Mcmatto didn't look at the lobby when he went from shortstack to 1st in the 150r on FT.

Shortly after that I realized he had already got like top 3 in that same tourney so he had a good idea.

So ya it's the smartest decision to look at the payouts when you are at the FT or FT bubble.

Making moves based on ICM is pretty key for FT play I'd say.

Edited by ACgaming
Mcmatto = beast

Regs/ballers know from experience what the payouts will roughly be.

Us donks, are in such a state of shock, when we are amazingly whisked to the final table, after 2 or 3 flips, that we cant think straight! Lets face it, its a strange experience to us!

It makes sense though to know what the payouts are, but the biggest concern is the size of the stacks.

Every tables different, but youll not make the top4 playing like scared money, you gotta stay bold & aggressive.

yeh good 1 if i did it it must be right huh..thats exactly what i was getting at

WOW you dont sit there and run ICM calculations on calling a 12BB shove with 99 when you're at an FT 8 handed? But what if 6th makes $1920 more? What a fkin fish you doing it all wrong

Edited by MarleyGroup

i know what first is but thats about it. if i have a chiplead i definitely don't look...because i don't expect to be out anytime soon. i play better if my judgement isn't clouded with that crap. in most spots you don't need to know the actual payout jumps, you can figure out pretty easily who's going for the win and who's climbing ladders. before making an all in play or big call or something, i will look, just to double check. sometimes looking at the payouts will make me change my mind, but not usually. it's pretty much the last line of defense for me.

it ranks up there with, but not as highly as, checkign people's countries, if i see anyone from italy, spain, or brazil, it's pretty much an instacall no matter the payout structure.

flame away, but i play for fun so fuck off!

Edited by donkey_kong0
i know what first is but thats about it. if i have a chiplead i definitely don't look...because i don't expect to be out anytime soon. i play better if my judgement isn't clouded with that crap. in most spots you don't need to know the actual payout jumps, you can figure out pretty easily who's going for the win and who's climbing ladders. before making an all in play or big call or something, i will look, just to double check. sometimes looking at the payouts will make me change my mind, but not usually. it's pretty much the last line of defense for me.

it ranks up there with, but not as highly as, checkign people's countries, if i see anyone from italy, spain, or brazil, it's pretty much an instacall no matter the payout structure.

flame away, but i play for fun so fuck off!

Your a very very bad boy, your being racist which is seen as worst than murdering someone ( By all the idiot do gooders and PC correct merchants ) and also using naughty language!

Usually will look at top 3 after first break... mostly because I'm curious, and in part, it gives me an incentive to win. I won't normally know 4th-9th till I'm actually at the ft. I def check in higher buy-in/bigger prize pool tourneys when entering the ft but in lower buy-in/smaller prize pool tourneys I don't really care and sometimes won't even know what I cashed for. Do think its a mistake however not to know the ft payouts for reasons previously discussed itt.