Travis Pastrana joining NASCAR in 2011

j_money24    0

Yeah I wouldn't consider Johnson a G.O.A.T. athlete. Hell, it's impossible to accurately determine who the best NASCAR driver is because every 5-10 years the racing, tracks, competition, and cars are very different. And NASCAR is planning on changing the cars again within the next couple years. It would be stupid to call Johnson the greatest NASCAR driver ever, and downright psychotic to claim he's the best athlete ever. Saying he's the best NASCAR driver of the mid to late 2000s is one thing, saying anything else is fucktarded. I personally consider Tim Richmond to be the best NASCAR driver of all time and he only has like 13 career wins, but it's damn near impossible to accurately judge who's the best.

I agree that auto racing (mostly) doesn't require any special raw talents that stick and ball sports typically require, but I also think completely writing it off as not athletic and not a sport in any way is shortsighted. If anything it falls into a gray area where people can only argue about it with each other and get nowhere (which is what always happens).

meh the only reason I started arguing about NASCAR's status is a sport is because someone argued that Jimmie Johnson should be in consideration for G.O.A.T. athlete which is obviously absurd since he doesn't play a sport. he plays a game. You might as well throw Doyle Brunson or Pete Weber up for G.O.A.T. if Jimmie Johnson's gonna get involved

http://sports.espn.go.com/rpm/nascar/cup/news/story?id=4761210

Didnt know a poker guy won athlete of the year.

Edited by UGotPwndAgain

PoWdA    0

My family has always raced and my uncle destroyed the short track here for a few years in a pro truck (NASCAR Short Track Series). While I love racing and will always love NASCAR I just don't have the time to watch or follow it anymore. The guys def deserve some credit. I mean driving in a circle may look easy but when you have a bunch of guys driving in a circle, each one trying to go faster than the other, it turns into some pretty tough competition. I would love to see just about anyone in OT try and finish a NASCAR race... but that will never happen so whatevs.

Ricky Carmichael races in the Camping World Series and he really isn't the good. Pastrana might put up an avg of 15th place at best next year. For those that are ignorant about racing, you do know that in the Nationwide, the Sprint cup drivers dominate? There's no chance this guy succeeds under Waltrip.

Lol @ 90% of you with your remarks on how "EASY" racing is.

TheWacoKidd    1

PM Bo Jackson.

Sorry brah, you're very wrong here. Racing isn't just going fast in a circle. It requires a great deal of technical skill. People with top level kinesthetic genius can maneuver between games in ways we can't. Travis Pastrana converting to a NASCAR driver isn't evidence that NASCAR is easy so much as it indicates that the guy has a talent for this shit that other people just don't. It's the same for other kinds of genius as well.

Let's take a look at your logic using another example.

Take James Simons. The guy goes from being a notable mathematician, teaching at places like MIT and Harvard, to running a hedge fund that he starts up. Say it's 1978, and you are resident of New York. You happen to read a blurb in the newspaper about a mathematician and a Director of the State University of New York - Stony Brook, is stepping down from academia and going into high finance.

And you think to yourself, "the fact that you can just up and convert to being a [hedge fund] pro pro shows you how easy it is"

And when you analyze that thought thirty years later, you would see his results and go, "I was right, look at how well he did, I knew it was easy."

Only, in our little hypothetical here, if you actually thought that, you would be retarded. Just because there was a guy that goes from being a top shelf mathematics theorist to a top hedge fund manager whose income (not wealth worth growth or asset value growth, fucking INCOME) in 2007 alone was over 2.8 BILLION, does not mean that both "games" (in the Wittgensteinian sense of the word "game") are easy?

Fuck, of course not.

There are more types of intelligence and genius than simply spatial and logical reasoning skills, etc. Being able to build things with your hands, or control your body and develop world class muscle memory, or run really really fast, those are also kinds of genius, of the kinesthetic variety.

Pastrana excelling at NASCAR will indicate much more about the man than the sport, and thinking the other way around, as you do in this case, is a gross logical fallacy.

fucking fuck you are annoying.

lol @ that example, just wow

Zeppelin    0

Pastrana is a beast, he has the intangibles very very few people have, something special that drives certain people to be the best in whatever it is that they do. I don't know how he will do in Nascar but his mental make up is world class.

Plus he has the biggest balls of anybody on the planet. The double back flip several years back is the most amazing thing I have ever seen, unbelievable.

AbnormalQ    0

fucking fuck you are annoying.

lol @ that example, just wow

Substantive reply there. High quality. A+. Would read again.

Edit: I reread my post, and fail to see how the example fails to make my point. It may be more extreme than motorsport crossovers, but that's the point. Problems with logic tend to look worse when you apply it at the extremes.

And then you continue on with an ad hominem. Resorting to such banality is typical of the person supporting the inferior position, like a cat scratching out as its backed into a corner.

Edited by AbnormalQ

lol @ "look at Danica". Danica never won anything anywhere and got her deal because she's a sweet piece of ass and makes good headlines. Pastrana has straight dominated multiple "motorsports" and this is just the next one. NASCAR is hard as fuck I'm sure. I'm certain that it requires a skill set that most people don't have / can't develop. Based on his stellar results in everything he does I'm also reasonably certain Pastrana posseses the requisite skill set and will be a competitive NASCAR driver in a fairly short period, maybe 5 years or so, if he commits to it, and will be at the top of the food chain in a couple years after he "gets it".

TheWacoKidd    1

Substantive reply there. High quality. A+. Would read again.

Edit: I reread my post, and fail to see how the example fails to make my point. It may be more extreme than motorsport crossovers, but that's the point. Problems with logic tend to look worse when you apply it at the extremes.

And then you continue on with an ad hominem. Resorting to such banality is typical of the person supporting the inferior position, like a cat scratching out as its backed into a corner.

Did I hurt your feline pride?

dude, I repeat: you are fucking extremely annoying.

math and finance with racing and sports, what a relevant comparison... pretty stupid for such a genius

Edited by TheWacoKidd

AbnormalQ    0

math and racing, what a comparison...

really guy?

1.) Math has nothing to do with racing. At all.

2.) Define the word extreme for me really quickly. Better yet, just think it out. In caveman terms: logic bad, apply to situation far from middle, makes same logic look more badder.

Hence, the comparison absolutely fits, given the point I was making. Which, in case we forgot, is that racing at the top level takes physical skill and psychological strength. I forgot you're a polymath though, everything comes easy to you. Racing is a joke. Easy as pie. Just like running a hedge fund. Or playing poker. Easy peezy.

Edited by AbnormalQ

TheWacoKidd    1

really guy?

1.) Math has nothing to do with racing. At all.

2.) Define the word extreme for me really quickly. Better yet, just think it out. In caveman terms: logic bad, apply to situation far from middle, makes same logic look more badder.

Hence, the comparison absolutely fits, given the point I was making. Which, in case we forgot, is that racing at the top level takes physical skill and psychological strength. I forgot you're a polymath though, everything comes easy to you. Racing is a joke. Easy as pie. Just like running a hedge fund. Or playing poker. Easy peezy.

can you really not see how annoying you are? lol

your earlier post was fucktarded. some guy great at math that ended up making money running a hedge fund has no relevance whatsoever to Travis Pastrana being able to just up and switch to being a nascar driver... he can do it because nascar is pretty simple to excel at, you just need the connections and support.

of course running a hedge fund is not easy, and I never said it was. he could not do this for baseball, basketball, football, hockey, soccer etc. is my point - nascar is kind of a joke.

I like how you put a bunch of words in my mouth in an extremely condescending manner tho

Edited by TheWacoKidd

AbnormalQ    0

can you really not see how annoying you are?

Yeah bro, its alllllll me.

I won't mind accepting myself as annoying if you accept that you have a significant e-tendency to be an unrelenting [radio edit, I'll play nice].

I forgot though, sports is your turf. And your word, especially in this little nice, when doled out to the OT masses in pithy one-liners, is supposed to make us swoon. I am sorry that I do not think you are correct in your snide ambivalence as its applied in this regard.

TheWacoKidd    1

Yeah bro, its alllllll me.

I won't mind accepting myself as annoying if you accept that you have a significant e-tendency to be an unrelenting [radio edit, I'll play nice].

I forgot though, sports is your turf. And your word, especially in this little nice, when doled out to the OT masses in pithy one-liners, is supposed to make us swoon. I am sorry that I do not think you are correct in your snide ambivalence as its applied in this regard.

people don't talk like that. stop. holy fuck

FenwayKing, post more.

AbnormalQ    0

I like how you put a bunch of words in my mouth in an extremely condescending manner tho

Sorry that you can't take as good as you get.

I am also sorry that I didn't respond to your uncouth tone (calling me what was it you said fuckingly annoying or whatever that was, too lazy to go page back to check - not once but twice) with a smile .

Definitely certain that my retort is going to be roses and pleasantries in such a spot.

Diggity D    0

If Pastrana gives the next 5 years to the sport seriously he will be an elite driver and compete for championships... He might get bored tho... Turning left all the time sucks (save road courses)

And lol at all you todds that act like Pastrana doesnt know exactly what hes doing... ("he doesnt know how to draft" <-- how fucking retarded are you dude? seriously. ) My guess is the kid has been training and driving nascar style cars and tracks competing time wise against the best to gauge his ability for months.

Id be willing to bet that an incredible amount of time has been put into this decision and that Travis has more than proved himself worthy to the types of people that have won races and own race teams. This guys not a media stunt like Danika, the dude fucking owns motorsports... nascars next.

TheWacoKidd    1

Sorry that you can't take as good as you get.

I am also sorry that I didn't respond to your uncouth tone (calling me what was it you said fuckingly annoying or whatever that was, too lazy to go page back to check - not once but twice) with a smile .

Definitely certain that my retort is going to be roses and pleasantries in such a spot.

where did I put words in your mouth or turn psychologist on you?

HighHorse.jpg

AbnormalQ    0

where did I put words in your mouth or turn psychologist on you?

Wait, what?

The hell does that have to do with the price of eggs in China?

You said NASCAR is a joke. I disagreed, even as a complete non-fan. You called me an annoying fuck. I responded. You called that response condescending. And I explained why I wasn't dancing with your praises bursting from my lips. The two things you just mentioned where a part of my responding to you in kind. Your question implies I began slinging mud first and getting all ad hominem. Pretty sure your first reply to me opened with a low brow insult. So, your question makes zero fucking sense.

And honestly, I'll take sitting on a high horse all day long over living my life through lowest common denominator reasoning, which you resort to more often than a person should. The haters gonna hate Waco meme is there for a reason. You cultivate it a good deal.

Good night, sir.

Edited by AbnormalQ

TheWacoKidd    1

Wait, what?

The hell does that have to do with the price of eggs in China?

I forgot you're a polymath though, everything comes easy to you. Racing is a joke. Easy as pie. Just like running a hedge fund. Or playing poker. Easy peezy.

amateur psychologist tho, that is what I was referring to, in case you forgot.

Pretty sure your first reply to me opened with a low brow insult. So, your question makes zero fucking sense.

And honestly, I'll take sitting on a high horse all day long over living my life through lowest common denominator reasoning, which you resort to more often than a person should. The haters gonna hate Waco meme is there for a reason. You cultivate it a good deal.

Good night, sir.

was more like a simple observation than a low-brow insult. many people have made the same one lately about you and how your posts have changed to be extremely annoying...

you have some examples of me living my life using "lcd" reasoning? I mean, wut?

warden    0

you've gone too far. you need to stop. you're a smart guy, and you say smart things, but you go too far sometimes. your james simon analogy isn't a good one. it's trying too hard. tone it down. i'm begging you.

AbnormalQ    0

amateur psychologist tho, that is what I was referring to, in case you forgot.

was more like a simple observation than a low-brow insult. many people have made the same one lately about you and how your posts have changed to be extremely annoying...

A.) I agree. I am on a prolonged posting slump and have def. played a trolling asshole/the villain quite often. For whatever reason. I do need to start heading back to center.

B.) Observations usually are best taken when not couched in a blanket of asshole.

Edit: like dpottz with a simple tone it down. point taken

C.) And by life, I mean online persona. I've never met you IRL, and obv. have no idea what you are like. I should have been more clear.

Edited by AbnormalQ