advertisement_alt
wackyJaxon

Official Bankroll Management Thread

Question

Please refer to this thread for any questions or comments concerning bankroll management. For starters there are three links in this post to articles/blog written by Fox, Jennifear, and dgillis. Fox's article is the most basic, while Jennifear's article is for tournament and sng players whose goal is to build a roll while cashing out at same time. The article by dgillis is for the more mathematical minded thinkers. Please keep in mind these articles are for those that do not want to reload or risk going bust at any particular time and not for the casual player that plays for entertainment and does not mind reloading. Also, these articles do not generally apply for those that have backing arrangements, however, practicing good bankroll management would not be a bad idea for the backers to establish.

Fox's Article: http://www.pocketfives.com/articles/basic-bankroll-management-224586/

Jennifear's Blog Post: http://www.pocketfives.com/blogs/jennifear/sng-mtt-br-management-cashout-strategy-585500/

dgillis's blog post: http://www.pocketfives.com/articles/blended-approach-bankroll-management-557204/

Please feel free to ask questions in this thread about your own situation as well as post how you have been successful at managing your bankroll in this thread. If any poster wants to submit an article of their unique perspective of bankroll management, please email your article or idea to jason@pocketfives.com.

Edited by wackyJaxon

If your ROI of 6% is sustainable, then yes.

$100--->$215: 22 days ($2.20 SNGs @ 40/day & 6% ROI)

$215--->$357: 18 days ($3.30 SNGs @ 40/day & 6% ROI)

$357--->$715: 27 days ($5.50 SNGs @ 40/day & 6% ROI)

$715--->$1000: 11 days ($11.00 SNGs @ 40/day & 6% ROI)

So, if you don't experience any huge downswings, stick to BRM and attain a 6% ROI, it's attainable. Note that the move from $5.50s to $11s is too long (at the top end you'd be using a 130 BI rule). I got lazy and didn't want to find the step in between $5.5 and $11. In any event, you can mix in some higher stakes games earlier than $715 and still follow BRM. That will also shave a few days off.

Great thanks for this. I'm gonna give this a shot as a sort of challenge. What size sample would you regard as sufficient in indicating a some what accurate measure of ROI?

Also, what do you regard as a 'standard' downswing at these stakes?

Edited by I_Luv_Wilco

I have been thinking about playing in the PS $109 RB events. I have a fair bankroll but wonder how many rebuy's are "Standard"?

This way I can figure out if this is with-in my roll (-$8,000) or not.

Same question with the add-on.....I assume I should always add-on? (always have at the lower levels)

PokerStars Game #57176996075: Tournament #405010536, $20+$2 USD Hold'em No Limit - Level X (300/600) - 2011/02/05 23:08:38 CET [2011/02/05 17:08:38 ET]

Table '405010536 71' 9-max Seat #3 is the button

Seat 1: mularczykPVC (13558 in chips)

Seat 2: IH8TWOS (37395 in chips)

Seat 3: ALMEJO (12689 in chips)

Seat 4: Sajanas171 (20236 in chips)

Seat 5: THE_ALPACA (35245 in chips)

Seat 6: Hans Gusen (16179 in chips)

Seat 7: Wieczor (3295 in chips)

Seat 8: Mr_Watt9 (45495 in chips)

Seat 9: NeverScaredB (26787 in chips)

mularczykPVC: posts the ante 50

IH8TWOS: posts the ante 50

ALMEJO: posts the ante 50

Sajanas171: posts the ante 50

THE_ALPACA: posts the ante 50

Hans Gusen: posts the ante 50

Wieczor: posts the ante 50

Mr_Watt9: posts the ante 50

NeverScaredB: posts the ante 50

Sajanas171: posts small blind 300

THE_ALPACA: posts big blind 600

*** HOLE CARDS ***

Dealt to IH8TWOS [Qs Qd]

Hans Gusen: folds

Wieczor: folds

Mr_Watt9: folds

NeverScaredB: raises 600 to 1200

mularczykPVC: folds

IH8TWOS: raises 36145 to 37345 and is all-in

ALMEJO: folds

Sajanas171: folds

THE_ALPACA: folds

NeverScaredB: calls 25537 and is all-in

Uncalled bet (10608) returned to IH8TWOS

*** FLOP *** [Kc 7h 2h]

*** TURN *** [Kc 7h 2h] [6c]

*** RIVER *** [Kc 7h 2h 6c] [Qc]

*** SHOW DOWN ***

NeverScaredB: shows [Ad 9d] (high card Ace)

IH8TWOS: shows [Qs Qd] (three of a kind, Queens)

IH8TWOS collected 54824 from pot

*** SUMMARY ***

Total pot 54824 | Rake 0

Board [Kc 7h 2h 6c Qc]

Seat 1: mularczykPVC folded before Flop (didn't bet)

Seat 2: IH8TWOS showed [Qs Qd] and won (54824) with three of a kind, Queens

Seat 3: ALMEJO (button) folded before Flop (didn't bet)

Seat 4: Sajanas171 (small blind) folded before Flop

Seat 5: THE_ALPACA (big blind) folded before Flop

Seat 6: Hans Gusen folded before Flop (didn't bet)

Seat 7: Wieczor folded before Flop (didn't bet)

Seat 8: Mr_Watt9 folded before Flop (didn't bet)

Seat 9: NeverScaredB showed [Ad 9d] and lost with high card Ace

vnh m8

Edited by Appst08
just curious...... u mad?

Nah.....rarely get mad......just wonder sometimes about the brainiac posts.....:}

Thanks to all. I muddled through the good and BS posts and think I will play more of the non rebuy $109's. Maybe a shot or two at the RB every now and then........only because I think some of the big players could use the money.....:}

A big thank you to the sender of the PM with the info......it was appreciated.

Ur not even properly rolled for $50 freezeouts

^this is def not true assuming you built that roll from playing tournaments. 109r on the other hand, lol

edit: maybe its not proper br managment or something but at least i would play these with 8k. cant imagine ever losing 8k playing $50 games unless your multi tabling more than you can handle or hit a sick card run in which case you just stop playing them.

Edited by tb4rizzl

you would be surprised at how much $50 buyins will eat away at an 8K br, especially if you put in a decent amount of volume each week. If you only play a handful of mtt's/week, then yea you won't go broke quick but if you play alot and go on a bad streak, your br will suffer.

I would like to play limit poker and i was wondering with a roll of $500 should i play $0.05/ $0.10 limit or $0.10/ $0.20 limit? I like the fact that in 5 cent 10 cent games you cant lose too much in a downswing and it will give me a lot of time to hopefully gradually build up my bankroll...