advertisement_alt
Roundelay

Is 3bet-folding AK ever possible online? Live?

Question

I was presented this problem a few days ago, and I'm wondering if it is ever possible to 3bet-fold AK in an mtt? The situation had the 3better out of position, 3bet was approximately 9x, and the 4bet shove was for the entire 40bb stack.

I was asked what stack size, if any, one would need to have in order to justify folding here. So what size would you need online? Live? Does it matter at all, or is the opponent a considering factor?

Please let me know your thoughts.

Thanks

27 answers to this question

I'm not folding with that stack online.

Live is a totally different story, I could fold pretty easily to a nitty player that would only make that move with KK+. But against some aggro spewtard, it's obv a snap call.

Edited by louiemdj
live explanation.

Full Tilt Poker Game #26484044733: $23,500 Guarantee (Rebuy) (205324489), Table 12 - 40/80 - No Limit Hold'em - 17:53:01 ET - 2010/12/17

Seat 1: sexy_esmeralda (4,905)

Seat 2: xYuriDzix (5,542)

Seat 3: UTiltMyFish (7,715)

Seat 4: hayleytothebeat (2,808)

Seat 5: kcjohnwayne (11,218)

Seat 6: caponata1 (4,175)

Seat 7: junglist352 (5,770)

Seat 8: appleave (8,000)

Seat 9: flashdisastr (7,252)

sexy_esmeralda posts the small blind of 40

xYuriDzix posts the big blind of 80

The button is in seat #9

*** HOLE CARDS ***

Dealt to kcjohnwayne [As Kd]

UTiltMyFish raises to 240

hayleytothebeat calls 240

kcjohnwayne has 15 seconds left to act

kcjohnwayne raises to 800

caponata1 has 15 seconds left to act

caponata1 folds

junglist352 folds

appleave folds

flashdisastr folds

sexy_esmeralda has 15 seconds left to act

sexy_esmeralda folds

xYuriDzix folds

UTiltMyFish raises to 7,715, and is all in

hayleytothebeat folds

kcjohnwayne has 15 seconds left to act

kcjohnwayne has requested TIME

kcjohnwayne folds

What do you guys mean that its easier to fold it "live"?

I see this all the time but i dont get it.

Well when you sit there for hrs against the nittiest players that only 3 bet and 4bet KK and AA (I wish I was kidding) then the alarms in your head should start to go off. Not to mention that blinds and antes are much easier to take down pre flop than they are online so it isn't necessary to race as much. I guess in both formats though a huge part of the game is taking down as many pots w/o show down as possible, but the online game is so over aggressive with such a wide range of hands it just simply isn't profitable to fold AK too often.

I mean in your situation, it seems unlikely (although it is difficult to tell with the information you gave) but I 3bet fold AK somewhat often, not every week but once in a while people will show up with crazy situations and I have to fold.

IN my opinion if you intend to 3 bet fold then don't three bet. Just call and take a flop. Folding pre is 10x better than 3 bet folding a hand that big. Just doesn't really make sense.

I agree with you about 3 bet folding isnt great, but you can only play the hand as you see at that moment.

If we could see into the future, we would all be rich!

Suppose thats whats great about being in late position.

You have ;- 8%---:---v AA

30%---:---v KK

45% ---:---v any other pair

74% ---:---v AQ or AJ

70% ---:---v AT

69% to 75% ---:---v A2 -- A9

70% ---:---v KQs

The only disaster area is AA, KK not great, other pairs so so, decent odds against anything else!

For my money, I think AK tends to be slightly over rated.

I think the odd spot occurs, where if youve not invested many chips in the pot, it might pay to quietly muck AK!

OPs hand in the thread isnt one of them though.

Edited by rayfox111
I mean in your situation, it seems unlikely (although it is difficult to tell with the information you gave) but I 3bet fold AK somewhat often, not every week but once in a while people will show up with crazy situations and I have to fold.

this..

Keep in mind that it is not just the image of the 4 better that is relevant, but also your image as a 3 better (and thus the 4 better's perception of you)

Edited by sheets

this was also on my mind

there s 2 possible scenarios

guy opens, i 3bet, original raiser 4 bets i call and go broke cause i dont wanna turn my ak into a bluff

my question 4 this scenario is how deep do u have 2 be to flat an early raiser

2nd scenario

guy opens, i 3 bet, another guy 4 bets- in this case i have no problem folding ak