advertisement_alt
DLaw34

All this talk about not being results oriented?

Question

I keep trying to figure out why people are always saying dont be results oriented? How can you not be when that is the only thing that matters? Its like saying hey Cleveland your 8-37 i know your playing hard and trying to do the right things but you just keep getting unlucky. please help me on this one!!!

29 answers to this question

It's about making the right play at that point in time.

Obv bad beats and variance are going to come into play but if u do the right thing at the right time more often than not, you'll be +EV in the long run

OP your example is horrible. A better one would be a QB throws an interception off a tipped pass by a ball that should be caught by a WR. He did everything right and was unsuccessful.

The result is not the only thing that matters. I can shove 27o the first hand of a tourney and crack AA and win but you cant say that play was any good just cause it won.

you're talking about tournament results. "not being results oriented" refers to specific hands and situations. like if you have JJ, theres a raise and shove in front of you, so you fold and they have AA and KK, then you flop quads. if you are results oriented, you'll be pissed that you laid the hand down because you would have won, when in reality you were crushed and made a good laydown that you should be happy about.

you're talking about tournament results. "not being results oriented" refers to specific hands and situations. like if you have JJ, theres a raise and shove in front of you, so you fold and they have AA and KK, then you flop quads. if you are results oriented, you'll be pissed that you laid the hand down because you would have won, when in reality you were crushed and made a good laydown that you should be happy about.

/

^^^^^ this

So the most important thing is to make the right play no matter the result.... Take control of the things you can and dont stress over the things you cant. Let the cards fall as they may, and +EVentually you will come out ahead of the game. TY TY

It seems to me what he's trying to say is that you have to be results oriented at some point, right? Not hand-specific situations, but overall results over an extended period of time, for self-evaluation purposes etc.

Yes this was what I was asking.... Because it seems that people always look at this saying hey this person is a terrible player according to his stat's. Where in reality he is playing well making the right plays and getting unlucky in spots... or not hitting when its AK vs. QQ deep in tourney with nothing to show.... I am sure that there are many players that understand this concept far better than me.

Edited by DLaw34

I do understand OP point. He isn't so much asking about a specific hand result but a way to measure and guage one's own success. Regardless of what P5's rankings or OPR says you should define your own goals and use that as a measurement of your success. BM is key to this as well

I keep trying to figure out why people are always saying dont be results oriented? How can you not be when that is the only thing that matters? Its like saying hey Cleveland your 8-37 i know your playing hard and trying to do the right things but you just keep getting unlucky. please help me on this one!!!

Seriously... gotta go there? If this analogy is like ur poker game it's probably bad news for u cuz the cavs aren't just unlucky they're just fucking terrible.... (no clue who u are so not commenting on ur game)

Seriously... gotta go there? If this analogy is like ur poker game it's probably bad news for u cuz the cavs aren't just unlucky they're just fucking terrible.... (no clue who u are so not commenting on ur game)

Yeah bad analogy.... but you can catch my drift.

Bro-We-Suck.jpg?imageSize=Medium&generatorName=Bs

LOL

OP your example is horrible. A better one would be a QB throws an interception off a tipped pass by a ball that should be caught by a WR. He did everything right and was unsuccessful.

The result is not the only thing that matters. I can shove 27o the first hand of a tourney and crack AA and win but you cant say that play was any good just cause it won.

very good example imo.. the receiver is like timing your RNG in poker

So the most important thing is to make the right play no matter the result.... Take control of the things you can and dont stress over the things you cant. Let the cards fall as they may, and +EVentually you will come out ahead of the game. TY TY

Yes, provided your game is at the point where you are actually a winning player. Obviously if you are a losing player then eventually......you will still be a losing player.

Yes, provided your game is at the point where you are actually a winning player. Obviously if you are a losing player then eventually......you will still be a losing player.

What if your a winning player that becomes a losing player?

doubt im folding JJ with a raise and shove in front

This

Cavs suck, period.

The best way to not worry about results is you have to lose all respect for money, basically. Not in a sense of going out and spending the last dime you have; yet in a sense that you can not focus on what you could have gotten with the dollar. You go into a tournament for 100+9, you get 37th on AA vs KK when the guy spikes his K on the river; they pay 36. The key is to not say, damnit I could of gotten 100 of them Mac Donalds MacDubz (results oriented) if I would have folded. We have to disregard that, and almost detatch ourselves from the beat; not thinking, but knowing it is profitable in the long run. Yes we play for money, but the money can not be your result; merely a way to keep score. I probably should have made you dig a little more, but I have never really typed this out for myself or read it..thanks for helping me brah.

I fully intend on you going bust multiple times, and quitting the game before really understanding what 'results oriented' means.

Edited by Bake Me A
Didnt you make a thread about folding AQ preflop everytime bc "you ran bad with it". Pretty sure thats being results oriented

You must have misread the thread. I asked if anyone had their PT results, and was trying to talk theory about how I dont think it is 'that' profitable early in tournaments, and the ammount of times you get it in late against AK, or vs JJ-77 gambling at best, not including the amount of time you are going to lose the 3 to 1 favorite, I was simply trying to discuss game theory. Like always it is one word answers and assumptions that I am saying it is a terrible hand. Yes, I was semi tilted because of losing with it previously but in no way was I being results oriented. I was simply trying to discuss the profibility of the hand. Thanks for understanding.

You must have misread the thread. I asked if anyone had their PT results, and was trying to talk theory about how I dont think it is 'that' profitable early in tournaments, and the ammount of times you get it in late against AK, or vs JJ-77 gambling at best, not including the amount of time you are going to lose the 3 to 1 favorite, I was simply trying to discuss game theory. Like always it is one word answers and assumptions that I am saying it is a terrible hand. Yes, I was semi tilted because of losing with it previously but in no way was I being results oriented. I was simply trying to discuss the profibility of the hand. Thanks for understanding.

There are so many reasons not to fold aq... Running into AK is a cooler, and racing deep in tourneys is jus part of the game. You are 100% being results oriented... There are def times where folding aq pre is right, but to just open fold AQ is rediculous

There are so many reasons not to fold aq... Running into AK is a cooler, and racing deep in tourneys is jus part of the game. You are 100% being results oriented... There are def times where folding aq pre is right, but to just open fold AQ is rediculous

So utg is playing a 8/5 and opens for 5.5k with 77k behind at 1k-2k blinds, you have 70k and there are 10 left, and the final table payout is difference between 10th and 9th is $700. You are saying it is rediculous and -ev to fold AQ pre? gg.

Edited by Bake Me A
So utg is playing a 8/5 and opens for 5.5k with 77k behind at 1k-2k blinds, you have 70k and there are 10 left, and the final table payout is difference between 10th and 9th is $700. You are saying it is rediculous and -ev to fold AQ pre? gg.

Wow, if you are folding aq on the final table bubble, just quit... I am personally never folding there... Lol @ worrying about payjumps... If you are folding AQ 5 handed (which you will be on the final table bubble in case you didn't know (where utg is also the hijack)) plz just quit poker... Difference between 10th and ninth is a standard payjump.. The money is in the top 3. The utg raiser is going to fold alot of hands that he wouldn't normally bc he doesn't want to bubble the final table. Poker is all about making other people mKe tough decisions... I am throwing in a 3 bet or shipping it in there everytime