advertisement_alt
Cabo

Has limp calling run amok?

Question

I seem to be seeing more and more limp calling, and I don't mean one or two donks per hand but five or six.

Example:

I'll have KK in late position at 50/100 with 5 limpers. I'll make it 600-800 and.... wait for it....get 5 callers!

It doesn't matter what flops, one of em' shoves and I have to fold.

This is not deepstack poker. These "people" are calling off 1/4, 1/3, or even 1/2 of their stack preflop?

Questions:

- Are others seeing this more frequently?

- Is this a result of Durrr and Viffer being on TV everyday and they see them calling with all kinds of trash and think they are playing "like the best?"

- What are you doing about it?

early stages are full of idiots, their really not that hard to beat. just play a wide range with position in multiway pots and most of the time and you will chip up when you make hands. as for KK its ul to get 5 callers, but you are still the favorite in the hand preflop, play it accordingly and dont sweat it if you have to fold.

I've been playing a lot of micro MTTs lately because well I can't beat 66 when i flop a set of aces, so instead of wasting my money running like that for a big chunk of my bankroll I've opted to play lower stakes and wait until things get better. I'm definitely finding the type of play you described is a lot more prevalent then you get even by just moving up to $10-15 buy-ins. My strategy is that they're calling anyways no use investing in an over raise, you're going to get called whether you raise 200, 300, 800, or even 1200 half the time. Most of the time they're pushing with at best top pair. for instance today I was playing one and I picked up QQ in the SB, raised to a few limper's got calls from all of them. flop comes J 6 5 I lead out, got a call then a push, I called it and he showed QJ off. Now he hit runner runner jacks for quads which was unlucky as hell but the point is more then often that's a nice easy cut and dry double up unless you run like me which if you do, god help you.

The point of all that rambling is, don't fold to the pushes and play it like you would if there weren't 6 callers out there. Also I find that it really helps to mark players with notes after you see them make a really weak or really good play. That way you have a better idea whether to give them credit for a hand or not, don't just assume everyones a donkey, there are some decent players even at that level.

be [thangk-fuh l]

current TV cash and tourney play is encouraging this. fml later when they all learn to play flops better than 99% of all the multi tbln tag/nits...

HS$ moves imo. doubt a significant majority of the <10 MTTs players can use this effectively and chop ur range correctly gvn lvlz and stck szs

scs frm the btn tho

When i played micros i sometimes just shoved my monsters.. Or do u think a micro player will ever fold A8s or a PP pre? -ev to play the same poker like ud do on higher levels, learn to exploit bad players and make it really expensive if they cant find the fold button

shoving your monsters when there are 4 or 5 limpers has actually worked out unbelievably well for me recently in the micros... its hilarious what you see, 1 person and sometimes 2 people call off with, and BOOM. youre sitting with 9k chips 10 minutes into the tournament

what's your stack here I mean if u are making it 800 with 5-6 limpers wouldn 't be better to just jam pre need to know your stack

Too rights. How many chips do u have and wut is the buy-in for this MTT.

Lets say its a $1-$10 MTT and u have 2000 chips at 50/100. Wouldn't it look alot more looser and deceptive if u just shoved with ur KK? Most of them idiots will call wit hands like 77/JJ/Ax bcos they don't think u'd do this with KK or AA. It works sometimes in these micro MTTs.

Going to take the short road here and assume you are playing $5 and under mtts. An even more annoying trend I have been running into lately is getting called allin for massive amount of chips deep by any 2 cards. In the last week and a half got busted in top 20 out of 4 k + fields by 9 4 cracking qq, 2 4 cracking qq, 2 3 over a j, and cant remember the exact other ones, but they were pretty ridiculous. Not priced in, not monster stack calling shorty, just random stupidity. Never ceases to amaze me how someone will waist 7 hours to put call off their chips with 4 high going with the any 2 will do crap.

When i played micros i sometimes just shoved my monsters.. Or do u think a micro player will ever fold A8s or a PP pre? -ev to play the same poker like ud do on higher levels, learn to exploit bad players and make it really expensive if they cant find the fold button

That ^... You'd be suprised what they call with. QJs, A9, all kinds of crap. Raising them in position is good because they will flat and then check/fold a lot. Or they min bet when they have a little piece of the flop and can't bear to fold. Don't bother raising their min-bets unless it's for value because they will call.

That ^... You'd be suprised what they call with. QJs, A9, all kinds of crap. Raising them in position is good because they will flat and then check/fold a lot. Or they min bet when they have a little piece of the flop and can't bear to fold. Don't bother raising their min-bets unless it's for value because they will call.

Very accurate, however I would suggest keeping some kind of stats tracker open to do a quick check on the op to see if he is a regular winning player, or random donk who just dumps money. As a few people above already stated about open shoving monsters once blinds are getting up there. I do this quite a bit, and usually get paid by some idiot calling off 77 66 88 etc...

Also keep in mind that some of us are very aware of the above action/plays in the quote, and will flat min bet to induce raise/shoves. Make sure you have a basic understanding of ops poker iq level, and you can make very easy decisions most of the time. You will be amazed how far ahead or behind you are sometimes, and all it takes is a little observation of op over a decent sample.

Going to take the short road here and assume you are playing $5 and under mtts. An even more annoying trend I have been running into lately is getting called allin for massive amount of chips deep by any 2 cards. In the last week and a half got busted in top 20 out of 4 k + fields by 9 4 cracking qq, 2 4 cracking qq, 2 3 over a j, and cant remember the exact other ones, but they were pretty ridiculous. Not priced in, not monster stack calling shorty, just random stupidity. Never ceases to amaze me how someone will waist 7 hours to put call off their chips with 4 high going with the any 2 will do crap.

That trend seems super annoying.

There's no doubt limp calling is rampant.

At the low stakes I play, also see a lot of what I'd call WTF calls.

Guys limp A6 off UTG with a 15-20 BB stack, and then call off all or most of it when somebody shoves.

Players that bad are how average/mediocre players like me can have a positive ROI so I encourage that kind of thing.

Had pretty close to that exact thing happen an hour or so ago, cracked my KK when I shoved. He limped for 240 UTG with 1700 behind.

Another one that always leaves me bewildered is the lead out min bet flop turn river, can never figure out what they are trying to accomplish with it. Half the time they show air or bottom pair, half the time they show the nuts. Obviously generally the pot size makes folding out of the question but I never know what to do when I miss the hand but I'm getting something like 8-1 odds to call

not really a new thing. limp calling has always been prevalent in lower stakes. a lot of time people are just so bad they like dont know how to bet or something. theres nothing to really read into it. its not like strategy on their part. they just know to call. its like they dont understand the dynamics of the game.

Another one that always leaves me bewildered is the lead out min bet flop turn river, can never figure out what they are trying to accomplish with it. Half the time they show air or bottom pair, half the time they show the nuts. Obviously generally the pot size makes folding out of the question but I never know what to do when I miss the hand but I'm getting something like 8-1 odds to call

u stop calling the min bets (which is the villain's way of getting cheap showdown or draw) and start raising them whether u miss or not. plays like just calling the min bet is exactly what players are looking for when they do it.

lol u say it like its a bad thing....

^^, why complain about getting ur queens in vs 94o and stuff. I'd like these situations all day everyday bro. Donks: win sometimes, us: ship the loot :D

move to bad beats

^^ if u can't handle the bad beats, dont play