advertisement_alt
Asballer23

stress

Question

How does one deal with the stress in poker, the stress affects my everyday liife (ex. i have trouble communicating with people, I get depressed here and there randomnly, I have trouble sleeping, I dont have the drive to work out: when I used to work out everyday and im still in moderate shape) Has anyone gone through these issues im going through and help please if one cangive me some tips?? Thanks and GL

18 answers to this question

Amir,

There are many things to take care in your situation, that can help you to feel better. I have a good buddy that used to grind a lot 6/7 a week and his mental situation was pretty bad after a couple of month. Having a daily work on side of poker (or poker in side of a daily work) unable you to get enough time "out of it" so it is good to care about your inside. I can personally not grind everyday anymore because of the lack of other activities and specially the lack of social like.

Here is a couple of thing to take good care :

- Sleeping enough and in good conditions

- Eating good and varied

- Physical exercise on regular basis

- Social acitivties

- Other "side" activities

Feel free to PM me if you feel to. I hope it will work for you !!

Also as said here over, taking break is crucial !!!

Honestly stress can be dealt with if you have the right mindset...if you are talking about stress because of a downswing the key word is variance...there can be a leak In your game so you can go over hand histories by posting on here or ask friends...there are training sites and coaches...I have dealt with variance cuz I am on a downswing now I get tilted and it affects me the same way you listed...clear your mind by considering yoga,exercise and just not be results oriented..80% the time you win but remember there is still the 20% that you lose if it's 80/20 situations and it seems the 20% keeps happening..good luck I hope you get through it..i am 28 I wish I could be 21 again live life you have the rest of your life to be stressed out...

if i ever find myself getting at all annoyed at the game tht gives me the freedom i want, and allows me to make more $ than i could getting a crappy job i sit back and have a little think.

i think about all the people in the world who would give almost anything for there biggest problem to be 'running bad', and i take a moment to realise how lucky i am to have the life i have, the life tht i have done nothing to earn myself but was fortunately born into.

this realisation has made me immune to the bad times in poker, and it is also the reason why i hate people bitching about how bad they run when in reality they just arent good enough to be profitable. seriously some people need to wake up and be grateful for what they have

Make a schedule and try to stick to it. Include in the schedule time to go out with your friends, once in awhile playing live for the social interaction, working out, when you will eat, and make sure you give yourself enough sleep daily.

My perspective on this is different. I was a financial controller before I stopped working and moved to Lithuania and play cash games for living money (and enjoyment). My life has so much less stress with this life than it did with the 60 hour work week grind. I am in control of my schedule and life at the moment. The reason I am even mentioning this in your thread is that there will be stress in many people's jobs. Its up to you to control your life and not let what happens on the felt determine what you do with your schedule. If things aren't working out on the felts, make a change and go with something that will feel refreshing and right.

Edited by wackyJaxon

Probably a simplistic response but for me poker has to be treated as a fun hobby or else I feel the same emotions that others have listed. I too have a full time job which I took for granted for several years because I wanted to be that one guy that hit the big score and could do it as a carrer. Now with the economy I am thankful for my job and it allows me to take shots and make plays I would be scared shitless to make when I was in school with no income. I will still get pissed and depressed when I lose that big coin flip in the tourney to make or break me but can blow it off more quickly. Like others have listed hang with friends, have other fun hobbies, and an understanding girlfriend who is understanding with poker is a huge advantage if you are lucky to find that.

Edited by backhandpass
smoke a phatty.

pretty horrible advice for OP unless you want him to spend even more money, become unhealthier, and wake up with the same problems and even less drive than you had before.

now im not 100% anti-weed and I used to smoke tons... but its definitely NOT the solution to OPs problems.

The #1 best stress reducer is to work out consistently but I'm sure you know this OP. You just have to force yourself to go and make a grind out of it, eventually it will become routine and you will feel much better. It doesn't even have to be anything too strenuous... just get that heart pumping and you will feel healthier happier and have much more energy throughout the day. I def feel I play my a+ poker game after working out, much more so than if I'm lazy and just wake up and start grinding.

Last thing I can say is balance brother... if you don't really wanna play, then don't. Go outside, get drunk with friends, meet some girls. Poker will still be waiting for you I promise. Work out regularly and obtain balance in your life and just watch how quickly your life will change.

Try and disconnect yourself from the monetary value of poker as much as possible and bankroll like a bitch. Doing the latter should help with the previous!

Or if all the advice given before by posters doesn't work, then for the love of god give up poker!

I'm 21 now, and gave up Mid Stakes turbo STT grinding when I was 20, because I felt like at the rate I was going I was going to have a coronary at 23! Life's so much better without it..

And in all seriousness there are so many more worthwhile things you could spend your time doing! Things that don't involve taking money from others, not paying taxes and not contributing to society.

if you are so overly stressed chances are you should be playing a limit or 2 lower than you are, or you don't have accurate expectations/an adequate understanding of variance. you are playing a game - if it is negatively affecting your life that much you probably have too much riding on the outcome. move down and focus on the game and not your results

pretty horrible advice for OP unless you want him to spend even more money, become unhealthier, and wake up with the same problems and even less drive than you had before.

now im not 100% anti-weed and I used to smoke tons... but its definitely NOT the solution to OPs problems.

The #1 best stress reducer is to work out consistently but I'm sure you know this OP. You just have to force yourself to go and make a grind out of it, eventually it will become routine and you will feel much better. It doesn't even have to be anything too strenuous... just get that heart pumping and you will feel healthier happier and have much more energy throughout the day. I def feel I play my a+ poker game after working out, much more so than if I'm lazy and just wake up and start grinding.

Last thing I can say is balance brother... if you don't really wanna play, then don't. Go outside, get drunk with friends, meet some girls. Poker will still be waiting for you I promise. Work out regularly and obtain balance in your life and just watch how quickly your life will change.

"pretty horrible advice for OP unless you want him to spend even more money, become unhealthier, and wake up with the same problems and even less drive than you had before."

Not really. He can buy himself an O for $300 of the good, sell off 3 quarters for $100 a piece and freeroll a quarter.

Also, I'm 100% certain I know potheads who smoke a TON of weed, that are 20x more physically in shape than you.

And I sure as fuck don't wake up caring about what happened the day b4 in poker if I go to bed high as hell, and it surely doesn't make me want to win less or make me less motivated to win.

Stop blaming the weed and just blame your own lack of effort and apathy to your situation, bro.

I completely disagree with EDC and the fact he thinks working out is the absolute nut stress relief is completely a personal decision what might be right for some might not be right for others. Obviously working out has positive effects on your life and can relief stress however I am sure for some people that might be the furthest thing they feel from going to the gym already feeling stressed/bad about the situation they are in. However what he said next about balance is truly the key. For me my social life is extremely important in balancing any frustrations that are caused from poker. Back when I use to bust rolls like no other (Highschool) I would constantly be under high stress and stepping away from the game and spending time with the people I care about (family and friends) would always instantly take me away from the game and bring true happiness back into my life. Like I said I don't think there is a solid answer to what for one person will relief stress, but for me it is balancing my work (high stake mtts) and my free time whatever that might entail :). Best of luck and don't let variance bring you down it's a killerrr

pretty horrible advice for OP unless you want him to spend even more money, become unhealthier, and wake up with the same problems and even less drive than you had before..

I surf/skate/dive/ workout 3 times a week and i smoke more then i breath air. dunno bout you but when i smoke nothing rly annoys me. im as cool as it gets and those AK's losing to some tards K8 Only make me smile, and for some reason i than actually hope the kid wins the tourney too