LeedsJay

Should the 17 year old who came 6th in sundays 5milly special keep the money?

He obviously won't get to keep the money being that it's a clear violation of Pokerstars TOS, but to be honest, it makes me a little sick to see all of the "holier than thou" douchebags ITT saying how he should get it taken away because it's against the rules and he's underaged, etc, etc...... Are you guys serious? Who gives a fuck? Just because YOU didn't win 500K, you feel the need to jump in and start reciting the rules of being underaged? Nobody ITT ever had a drink before you were 21? Or smoked a Joint? OR PLAYED POKER BEFORE YOU WERE 18? Give me a break.

It's a sick accomplishment, and even sicker being that the kid is 17. Other than the people who work at PS, why should any of you give a shit if he gets to keep the money?

I know I'm in the minority of this argument but that's my opinion FWIW.

drinking underage and smoking weed is illegal and they have consequences if caught and those consequences are nowhere near losing 500k, what he did was illegal and not receiving the money is a real consequence. ur examples are very poor...u r trying to be like this white knight on behalf of the kid and instead u come across as a true douchebag

He obviously won't get to keep the money being that it's a clear violation of Pokerstars TOS, but to be honest, it makes me a little sick to see all of the "holier than thou" douchebags ITT saying how he should get it taken away because it's against the rules and he's underaged, etc, etc...... Are you guys serious? Who gives a fuck? Just because YOU didn't win 500K, you feel the need to jump in and start reciting the rules of being underaged? Nobody ITT ever had a drink before you were 21? Or smoked a Joint? OR PLAYED POKER BEFORE YOU WERE 18? Give me a break.

It's a sick accomplishment, and even sicker being that the kid is 17. Other than the people who work at PS, why should any of you give a shit if he gets to keep the money?

Sure I've done lots of stupid things when I was kid that were against the law. I got caught some of the time. Guess what? I got punished for it. I didn't try to defend my actions by saying "well other kids are doing it too" because a police officer or judge would have just LOLed at me, just like I LOL at your analogies.

So if wanting Stars to fairly enforce the rules for every player (that they explicitly agreed to before ever playing BTW) makes me "holier than thou" so be it. I'm not jealous the kid won the money, I've made plenty of money from poker and plan on making plenty more. I just believe that the sites should enforce the rules that we all agreed to before playing, and that doesn't make me a douchebag.

Edited by loose_cannon_jj

How the hell is everyone missing the real point here?

WTF are the father and son doing? How do they not have their story straight with a half a million on the line? In my opinion, when the newspaper calls you tell them to F off, find another story to put on the seventh page.

In any event, if its the dads account then PS doesnt have a case, and frankly could give two shits less anyway.

If I were the dad I'd be memorizing hand histories and keeping my underaged son out of the media spot light and in no way shape or form authorize any investigator to talk to him. The dad holds all the cards here. He needs to just play them right and hope for a little run good.

Stars has to be consistent. Do they confiscate funds when they catch other underage players? Does turning 18 make all past indiscretions vanish? Stars must have a laundry list of people they know played underage, and won millions, but only found out after they turned 18. There have been quite a few "Happy 18th birthday" threads on P5's over the years for some ballers. As far as I know, Stars isn't confiscating all their underage winnings.

If I were the dad I'd be memorizing hand histories and keeping my underaged son out of the media spot light and in no way shape or form authorize any investigator to talk to him. The dad holds all the cards here. He needs to just play them right and hope for a little run good.

he should def be able to keep it. others have done this and be able to keep it. haters gonna hate imo

grats kiddo

I don't think what he did was cheating. The rule against underage players is there to protect kids, and the only person who can get hurt when an underage kid plays is the kid himself. But I guess I can see the point of view that rules are rules therefore they should be enforced. If Stars doesn't let him keep the money they should add it to this weeks SM prizepool.

Edited by Passiveplay

I would say the onus is on poker stars to prove it beyond reason of a doubt. I personally think good job by him if it's true and if his father wants to let him play his 215 dollar buyin all the power to him. I grew up on the racetrack and every race my dad would let me pick a horse and go up and get me a ticket on it. It was against the rules but the cashier would always smile when she knew it was my ticket he was cashing. Half the underage people online likely use a parent or siblings name and personally I think if the parent is going to let them play it then let them play it. I am sure Poker Stars violates their own T.O.S on a daily basis and really I don't see what the big deal is. There is no way to 100% prove that it was in fact him playing so I can forsee a lengthly court battle in the making if they do decide to seize the money. However braggging on the internet before you receive a cheque? Complete idiocy, he made his bed and whatever the final decision is he made his bed so he's going ot have to lay in it!

he should def be able to keep it. others have done this and be able to keep it. haters gonna hate imo

grats kiddo

Couldn't agree more!

Edited by Ocanobeer
Sure I've done lots of stupid things when I was kid that were against the law. I got caught some of the time. Guess what? I got punished for it. I didn't try to defend my actions by saying "well other kids are doing it too" because a police officer or judge would have just LOLed at me, just like I LOL at your analogies.

So if wanting Stars to fairly enforce the rules for every player (that they explicitly agreed to before ever playing BTW) makes me "holier than thou" so be it. I'm not jealous the kid won the money, I've made plenty of money from poker and plan on making plenty more. I just believe that the sites should enforce the rules that we all agreed to before playing, and that doesn't make me a douchebag.

Who actually reads the terms of service? Auto click I accept

Dont know if its been said... but why F*$# didnt the son just have his father come in the room and ghost him when he was getting deep... and maybe even have dad sitting at the keyboard while the son tells hims what to do.... Especially at the final table! Father should have watched and been there. He needs to have an idea whats going on... the son must have known the FT of this event WOULD BE WIDELY publicized.

With that kind of money you need to protect yourself in all directions.... if father was sitting at the computer and said it was him from the beginning... there would probably not have been a second thought about it, and might not even be illegal if the dad was a drone to the kids commands.

My point is this, the son didnt think it out proper. That is alot of money and you need to cover your ass when the stakes are this high.

Enforce underage TOS always or never. Cause Im sure there are tens of thousands of underagers that go under the radar because they arent FT an anniversary event LOL

BAD BEAT STORY if he loses it... I am really torn both ways with a personal opinion... Id like to say they would give him and his father 100k, and redistribute to the rest to prizepool.... or future freeroll...

THATS IT.... run a freeroll named after him for 400k... and give him 100k so he doesnt jump off a bridge... Problem solved

Biggest logic fail in topic.

Dont know if its been said... but why F*$# didnt the son just have his father come in the room and ghost him when he was getting deep... and maybe even have dad sitting at the keyboard while the son tells hims what to do.... Especially at the final table! Father should have watched and been there. He needs to have an idea whats going on... the son must have known the FT of this event WOULD BE WIDELY publicized.

With that kind of money you need to protect yourself in all directions.... if father was sitting at the computer and said it was him from the beginning... there would probably not have been a second thought about it, and might not even be illegal if the dad was a drone to the kids commands.

My point is this, the son didnt think it out proper. That is alot of money and you need to cover your ass when the stakes are this high.

Enforce underage TOS always or never. Cause Im sure there are tens of thousands of underagers that go under the radar because they arent FT an anniversary event LOL

BAD BEAT STORY if he loses it... I am really torn both ways with a personal opinion... Id like to say they would give him and his father 100k, and redistribute to the rest to prizepool.... or future freeroll...

THATS IT.... run a freeroll named after him for 400k... and give him 100k so he doesnt jump off a bridge... Problem solved

dumbest post in this thread.

Who cares if the kid was 17, there is soo much cheating going on with cash tables and there is without a doubt in my mind cheating goin on in tourneys....mainly being mid to high stakes collusion via skype,aim,phone and other various ways. The kid was 17 and obviously got lucky and owned the biggest tournament online poker has ever seen. Give the kid the money , he didnt "cheat", he was just not old enough to play. Matter of fact with all the collusion/MA'ING/Datamining/selling hand history/ETC. going on go ahead and throw the whole fucking TOS out the god dam window.

Edited by ApesAreFun
Who cares if the kid was 17, there is soo much cheating going on with cash tables and there is without a doubt in my mind cheating goin on in tourneys....mainly being mid to high stakes collusion via skype,aim,phone and other various ways. The kid was 17 and obviously got lucky and owned the biggest tournament online poker has ever seen. Give the kid the money , he didnt "cheat", he was just not old enough to play. Matter of fact with all the collusion/MA'ING/Datamining/selling hand history/ETC. going on go ahead and throw the whole fucking TOS out the god dam window.

TROLLS everywhere.

the point is it sets a horrible precedent...if they investigate and find out with certainty it was an under age player, they have to enforce the TOS.

With all the cheating rampant cheating going on, who the fuck cares if he's 17? There are people ma'ing and colluding. The kid won it fair and square and quit fuckin hating. Props to you kiddo!

Couple of observations (because you know that I couldn't keep my mouth shut on this issue)

When a well known underage player is caught, the majority of comments are that they should let him keep the money. But when a random underage player is caught with a big cash in a big tournament, there are a lot more people who say he should lose the money.

If they take his money and distribute to everyone else at the final table, then what about all of the other tournaments the player cashed in (I didn't look at his results but it sounds like there were very little results). Do they go back and redistribute the moneys he won from those tournaments? Do it for one tournament, do it for every tournament he played in. I don't think the sites want to go through the hassle of figuring all of this out. Plus - if this is the policy for every violation of the TOS, then every time they catch someone for any violation of the TOS, they would have to go through this entire process (if they money is left in those particular accounts).

When a player is discovered to have been playing underage (but is now of age), I don't think they ever go back and seize their money. Don't see why they would seize his money - they would probably just freeze his account until he turns 18.

MAJOR LOL at the sites donating seized funds to gambling related charities. Mind if we take a look at your books to verify all of this. I'm sure the noble elders from Kahnawake Gaming Commission are making sure that all of this happening on the up-and-up. I doubt that this guys win will be more than 1% of the seized funds for Stars in 2011 - do we know where all of these funds go or just the publicized ones.

And one final LOL - poker sites protecting cheaters' identities. Basically - they don't want us to know when someone is guilty so that we don't ask questions about getting our monies back when we are cheated. If we don't know we are cheated, they can just keep the money they seize for themselves.