advertisement_alt

Surviving cubicle life..

Zeppelin    0

Some people might like their cubicle jobs and others don't. Some of us require routine and stability in our life

What I find most interesting is that the OP has posted several times that he is starting his new life of hell and complaining about a job on day 1 that he plans to do for the next 40 years. I do not comprehend why he went to college for this when this is clearly not the life he wants to live. Why do so many people just follow the structure of go to college, get job, retire without ever actually stepping back and figuring out what they actually want to do in life?

I love how this thread took place between the hours of 9 to 5 on a weekday.

I wonder how many posts I would get in a year if P5s was the only website I could get to while working at a 9 to 5. I used to send so many emails and just chat with people all day at my old job, I definitely miss parts of it.

Cubicle life sucks balls - i hated them with a passion because of the lack of privacy, but that being said, they aren't going away. You just have to find a way to make it your own personal space, and make the most of a bad set up. Be discrete in your web surfing and texting on your phone. Profit.

I never thought the lack of privacy was that bad. My computer didn't face the entrance and people didn't walk by that much so I never worried about people thinking I wasn't working enough.

allisswell    0

Some people might like their cubicle jobs and others don't. Some of us require routine and stability in our life

What I find most interesting is that the OP has posted several times that he is starting his new life of hell and complaining about a job on day 1 that he plans to do for the next 40 years. I do not comprehend why he went to college for this when this is clearly not the life he wants to live. Why do so many people just follow the structure of go to college, get job, retire without ever actually stepping back and figuring out what they actually want to do in life?

+FRICKIN 50

PoWdA    0

How long is your lunch break?

I will say that lunchtime Judo/Jiu-Jitsu classes are A++++++++++++++++++++ (if you can find one in your area).

Teach me.

Seriously, you should start a "I owned at life, here is how you can do it too" thread.

Edited by PoWdA

JaySpo    0

Dude seriously, I wish somebody would have said this to me at 17.

The reason so many people follow that structure is because it's what they're taught is the "right" way. I went to college because I was told that's what you do after high school. I'm not making excuses, but most people probably aren't capable of making life choices during their senior years in high school. I know I wasn't. You're too busy looking for parties, filling out college applications, playing sports if your on a team, preparing for graduation. You've got millions of things going on and you, for the most part, just go with the flow and listen to people older than you because they've been there before and you trust that what worked for them will work for you.

By the time I realized what I really wanted to get out of life I was a semester away from graduating college. I figured, ok I'll go ahead and graduate since I'm this close and then I'll figure something out.

That doesn't happen because now all of a sudden you've got student loans to pay back so you need to get a job to be able to afford that. Plus you don't want to move back in with your parents after living with your buddies for 4 years, so there goes more money.

That decision you made at 17 or 18 years old has now dictated how the rest of your life will unfold and you didn't plan for any of it. You, zep, obviously didn't fall into that trap and I'm both jealous and impressed by that. Like I said, most people don't have that foresight to accomplish that. For those of you that did, all i can really do is tip my hat and say congrats.

Edited by JaySpo

PoWdA    0

zep, here is my question, and please don't take offense, but we have seen the pictures of your travels (I am so jelly). My question is do you have a college degree? Are your travels over? When they are over, do you have a plan? Just curious because I would love to just hit the fucking road and see the world but in all honesty I do not have the means and I am not sure how I would get back to real life again. Edited by PoWdA

Zeppelin    0

zep, here is my question, and please don't take offense, but we have seen the pictures of your travels (I am so jelly). My question is do you have a college degree? Are your travels over? When they are over, do you have a plan? Just curious because I would love to just hit the fucking road and see the world but in all honesty I do not have the means and I am not sure how I would get back to real life again.

Ha. Almost wish you didn't ask this because I was already planning to give a very honest reply to your last post which answers all of these questions. Still will

Zeppelin    0

Teach me.

Seriously, you should start a "I owned at life, here is how you can do it too" thread.

I am not sure how much I "own at life". Life is challenging and I've in no way conquered it. Life is a daily battle. I never knew what I wanted to do in life and kinda still don't, but I now have more ideas on the direction I want to pursue. At 18 years old there is no way I knew what I wanted to do and I recognized that at the time. We are all products of our environment and the unique circumstances of my upbringing helped shape me into who I am today for better or worse. I was perceptive enough to pick up on what I did not want out of life. I always knew that I did not want a 9-5 job, I knew I wanted a life of freedom. From that perspective I do feel that I "own at life". I have zero debt, no car/insurance payments, house payments etc. There is nothing holding me down or preventing me from making my own decisions every single day. I have no intentions of changing that, if I do it will be with caution realizing the consequences that accompany these decisions. I probably fail at life in that I have no steady income or stability, which doesn't bother me, it is not a priority at this moment, but it is something that needs to be addressed as I get older. Could also be said that I fail because I have not finished college yet. I posted yesterday in the state of the union thread that I went to a gifted elementary where my classmates have graduated from the top universities in the country. Academically I have no doubt not lived up to my potential. Fucking around in HS the way I did was not beneficial but I'm not convinced that finishing college at 21 and probably going for a masters, to law school or w/e would have been a better path for me. Definitely more lucrative but wealth is not my goal or dream in life.

We were poor and my dad worked his ass off every single day without ever getting a vacation. I always knew when I was 16 and could drive I was going to go snowboarding. It is one of the very first things I did. Got a season pass and ended up riding about 40 times a year for the next 7 years. Being in the mountains, the road tripping, the freedom of flying down a mountain etc. Everything about it appealed to me. When I was 16 years old I had a job as a host at a restaurant. Saved up a bunch of money and I was going snowboarding in Whistler. Told my manager I was going to need 10 days off of work, going to Canada. She said No. What? Really? Fuck. shit. That is when I really really knew, this whole work thing is not going to be compatible with the life I plan to live. Live under that totalitarian dictatorship til I'm 65? That's not going to happen. I quit and went to Canada. It is now 12 years later and I haven't looked back. Best decision I ever made!

I knew when my dad was sick (lung cancer) that I was going to go travel when he was gone. I told him about my 2 year trip idea starting in Istanbul, moving up Eastern Europe, crossing Russia, down China into SE Asia and onto India and Nepal. Then from there? Who knows, maybe I'd have a better idea of what I wanted to do in life. I knew that meant pushing off finishing school but honestly, not going was not an option. I didn't have any money or a job and wasn't playing poker while my dad was dying for obv reasons, it was just a dream, but one I never ever doubted would come to fruition and something I knew I had to do. I did do it, I've been to 30 countries in the past 3 years. Been invited to stay in over 40 homes. Have met thousands of people. So many intelligent, creative, inspirational people who live the life of their choosing. People who give up the high salaries, 40 hour work weeks to do something they love. People on amazing journeys with incredible stories that blow the mind. People do it with no regrets, best decision they ever made, seen countless examples from all walks of life. That is why my thread/blog is called Dreams & Ambitions Discovered.

This is the 1st thread I ever started on pocket5. To look back on it today, dream pretty much fulfilled is a trip. It's a good feeling

http://www.pocketfives.com/f7/world-travel-poker-when-possible-432952/

That brings me to today. Been traveling Asia the past 19 months. Fly home in 4 days. The plan is the same it has always been, what I told my dad it would be. To return home and finish school (In do have the dream and option of going to South America but if I am smart I will finish school first). I have finished 2 years and have 2 years left. I still have no set plans on what I want to do in life and hope to a degree my options are always kept wide open. I do know that I want a life of freedom and will never ever ever be happy in a cubicle. I'd rather volunteer somewhere in a 3rd world country with no pay than make 50k a year in a box. One thing I learned that I did not know when I first left home is that I do not want to live in Los Angeles. I want something that fascinates me, challenges me. Traveling is a passion as is meeting new people, hearing stories, learning about the world. I already have all the pre reqs for political science completed, current plan is to add journalism and start getting good at photography. I don't know exactly what that will lead to but covering international affairs, conflicts are of interest. Maybe stay in Kashmir for a year and write a book, be in North Korea when the regime falls, help with a documentary on Myanmar. I don't know where it will take me and I love that. I want to be places when history happens. I have the confidence in my abilities to accomplish this if I apply myself. Those are my new dreams. It probably wont pay well but it will offer the freedom I value, everyday will be different, offer experiences I'll cherish, be intellectually stimulating and fascinating. I think for me it is a dream job so that is my new plan. I already have a ton of travel experience, networking, and I believe the tools to succeed in this field. Was it a mistake to push off school for this long? For a lot of people maybe. For me, I don't think so. Sure I have made many mistakes but for the most part my life is going and has gone the way I dreamed it.

Cliff Notes:

Know that is a really long answer and a personal one that doesn't apply to everybody.

why is it perceived that I own at life?: I followed my dreams

Edited by Zeppelin

FenwayKing    0

fantastic post zep. too many people settle for too little in life because they're afraid of taking risks or following their dreams. life isn't about getting a job or 'surviving'...as dumb as it sounds, it's about living. there's no god so this is your only shot at life or anything like it, so make it worth it.

don't think I can really add anything else but yea, really great post. .

Zeppelin    0

Thanks Fenway

zep, here is my question, and please don't take offense, but we have seen the pictures of your travels (I am so jelly). My question is do you have a college degree? Are your travels over? When they are over, do you have a plan? Just curious because I would love to just hit the fucking road and see the world but in all honesty I do not have the means and I am not sure how I would get back to real life again.

1. Not having the means to travel is a bullshit excuse. There are countless ways to experience the world for cheap. You can volunteer somewhere, teach English, pick up odd jobs as you go. You can easily travel Asia for a year on $10,000. People always have excuses on why they can't travel but it is just that, an excuse.

The only real valid excuse is having children which if I remember right you have a child.

2. This is where we differ. I don't align with the concept of returning to "real life" again. I find the life of waking up and doing what I want to do everyday and following my own path to be far more of a real life than the status quo. You will return to whatever life you want to return to and be happier for it. I understand society tells you what is expected of you, but that is bullshit. Society expects OP to work in a job he hates for 40 years and my mom expected me to be a lawyer. I'll pass on both counts. Like FWK said, life is about living

Edited by Zeppelin

elusively    0

For me, it took graduating college and doing the rat race thing--combined w/ a few well-timed oppurtunities--for me to really understand that I'm just not cut out for the 9-5 thing. I always knew that I didn't want to work for someone else, but I assume that nobody does, right? So, I went to college, because that's what I was "supposed" to do. I have no regrets about that, the degree is my safety net.

I will do what I have to do to make ends meet though, so if I have to go back to work to support myself or my family, well, tough shit, it cant always be easy. I am fortunate to have faded getting any girls preggo as that would have cut "living the dream" well short. Ive kept my obligations and responsibilities to a bare minimum, because it allows me to live the highest quality of life, for me personally, but I assume that will be different for everyone.

I graduated college in 2007, worked until 2009, and have never looked back since I left. It's not easy all the time, but I cannot imagine waking up at 6:30am everyday to drive to a job I despise. When I finish writing this, imma go down stairs and play some $2/5 at Borgata--decent life IMO.

Edit: This is the second thread in as many weeks that has reminded me how lucky I am. Sometimes we become jaded and takes things for granted that others would practically kill for. Appreciate the perspective ITT, it keeps me motivated.

Edited by elusively

Da Donkey    0

Awesome post zeppelin. That's why I also think i own at life. Graduated college in 2005 . Was pretty much depressed as hell until 2007 while taking care of my sick dad (died in 2008). I decided I couldn't live like this anymore (playing poker for money,etc). So I took the initiative and followed my dream to start a business on my own. An ice company happened to be a market that was wide open in my area. I rolled with it and 5 years later I don't regret it one bit although it has been stressful as hell.

That was the point I was trying to make, why would anyone want to go to college to get a degree just to work in a cubicle. I guess it suits some, and not others. I understand that now. But unfortunately it doesn't suit others but they do it anyway (Glo4m obviously has this issue). I always laugh about people who's only factor in work is money, too. The best part about my business, I'm starting a family here soon and I'll have whatever time I want to spend with them. That is the most +EV thing about my business.

Life isn't about WORKING, it's about LIVING, just like Fenway said.

And it's never too late to start, you can be 50 years old and unhappy and you can start over and start Living if you really want to rather than just working away the rest of your life. it's all about motvation and how bad you want it.

Edited by Da Donkey

niptuck    154

WHy hasn't there been a joke about Ice Cube-icle? Cubicle or something. OT is getting lame. scratch that, the joke would be lame. But kind of ironic that both words have cube in them. Cubicle and Ice Cube sales. sorry for wasint the last 10 seconds of your life.

ps Da Donkey hate is jealousy itt

Welcome to Off Topic featuring Big Earn.

Edited by 1.21Gigawatts

Da Donkey    0

WHy hasn't there been a joke about Ice Cube-icle? Cubicle or something. OT is getting lame. scratch that, the joke would be lame. But kind of ironic that both words have cube in them. Cubicle and Ice Cube sales. sorry for wasint the last 10 seconds of your life.

ps Da Donkey hate is jealousy itt

At least someone else can see it. :) I'm jealous of nip/tuck for sure. I hope to be where he's at some day. Now that's a dude that pwns at life.

tkeat1653    0

Just because you work a normal job it doesnt mean you arent living. Getting married, having kids, moving to the burbs are all part of the path. But to say they aren't as fulfilling in life as volunteering in a 3rd world country isn't really fair. People have their own set of risks they take. As long as you are happy but always reach for something 'more', thats still living imo.

Edited by tkeat1653

rayspizza    0

Zep you don't seem to take into account the toll that following your dreams and failing takes. I'm not saying this is a reason not to take risks, in fact I respect people more who take these risks knowing that if they fail it could be life-altering. I just want to point out that lots of people "follow thier dreams", don't succeed, and then live a pretty drab existence. Unfortunately the US culture is to shame these people for not playing it safe.

Edited by rayspizza

DBo Fo Sho    0

I just can't wrap my head around some of the answers in here. Not everyone has the luxury to be able to travel or land their dream job on command. You take a job because you need to make money and work your way up with experience. With this experience then you look into a more self satisfying position. Seems like people are assuming that you can just walk into a business, surpass the thousands of other employees there and land a premier job. Sure you can find fun jobs but a lot of those jobs will lead to no corporate promotion whatsoever. While you're making money, you aren't gaining relevant experience to work your way up within a company. Sure that's not everyone's dream, but that's the way business operates. You need to play the game and start off at the bottom rung of the ladder and work your way up. Having a bachelor's degree in this day in age truly does not mean shit. Everything is based upon relevant work experience. Like tkeat is saying, don't judge your life based upon your job, thrive on what you do away from work and make that the most satisfying aspect of your life.

rayspizza    0

I just can't wrap my head around some of the answers in here. Not everyone has the luxury to be able to travel or land their dream job on command. You take a job because you need to make money and work your way up with experience. With this experience then you look into a more self satisfying position. Seems like people are assuming that you can just walk into a business, surpass the thousands of other employees there and land a premier job. Sure you can find fun jobs but a lot of those jobs will lead to no corporate promotion whatsoever.

People are often blind to the amount of luck that goes into their success and for those it comes easy to, they tend to think it should be easy for everyone else.

VanceAce    0

Just because you work a normal job it doesnt mean you arent living. Getting married, having kids, moving to the burbs are all part of the path. But to say they aren't as fulfilling in life as volunteering in a 3rd world country isn't really fair. People have their own set of risks they take. As long as you are happy but always reach for something 'more', thats still living imo.

Basically, this ^^

"But you don't have any freedom ..."

Uhh, yeah I do ... I have the freedom to not have to stress over not being able to eat, and pay my bills. I have the freedom to take a vacation basically anytime I want, travel anywhere I want AND get paid to do so. I have the freedom to buy basically anything I want within reason (house, car, ipad, tv, boat etc.).

Having a normal job is just a tool to help me reach my goals in life -- none of which include going to live in Africa/Asia for 8 months.

Glo4m    0

Having a normal job is just a tool to help me reach my goals in life -- none of which include going to live in Africa/Asia for 8 months.

Yeah its really hard keeping your ice from melting in warmer climates

Willywoo    325

People are often blind to the amount of luck that goes into their success and for those it comes easy to, they tend to think it should be easy for everyone else.

And many people never identify what it is they enjoy or have a passion for; they are not prepared for opportunities that may come their way and then complain about not being "lucky". There are far more people who make their own luck and who lay the groundwork for obtaining their goals in life than those who get randomly lucky. imo

rayspizza    0

And many people never identify what it is they enjoy or have a passion for; they are not prepared for opportunities that may come their way and then complain about not being "lucky". There are far more people who make their own luck and who lay the groundwork for obtaining their goals in life than those who get randomly lucky. imo

I'm not discounting being prepared for opportunities. In many cases, even with lots of luck, lots of work is still required to succeed.

I also do not care for those that complain about being unlucky, because IME why you may be unlucky financially (or some other parameter) you are often lucky in another - that's just randomness. Crying about lack of luck often strikes me as indignant.

what I am saying is that there is often a bias to those with success and that bias often leads them to believe anyone could achieve what they do if they just worked harder. I disagree with this. As a guy who is successful in my chosen career I know that a lot of what has gone into that success is random luck. for example, I feel I was lucky to figure out what I wanted to do so early on, some people are never that fortunate.

Zeppelin    0

I am well aware that my post and dreams are personal to me and differ from those of other people. I know the people at home who followed their dreams, the ones who like their jobs, and I know the people at home who don't love their jobs and never will. I know which people I have met in my travels that pursued professions they love.

Some of my best friends at home are artists and have pursued that because for them there was no other job they would be happy with. One of them owns his own tattoo shop and does what he loves. Has two children. That was his dream, to have a tattoo shop and have a family. He put so many hours into getting where he is, now surrounded by amazing artists at work in a great work environment. Been open like 3 years and is one of the best tattoo shops in LA. I have another friend who is a very talented musician with a degree in psychology. He wants playing music to be a hobby but has a passion for music and works in the industry at a job he loves. Have a friend who chased his dream of being a model. Those are just some of the more obvious examples but are some of my best friends from growing up who now do things they love. The majority of my friends don't do something they love. They don't look forward to going to work. They either never stepped back to determine what they really want to do or when they did they never followed up on it. It isn't about traveling the world, that just happened to be my dream.

If you love your job then AWESOME. If you don't, I'm sorry, you should probably be doing something different with your life

Edited by Zeppelin

tkeat1653    0

If you love your job then AWESOME. If you don't, I'm sorry, you should probably be doing something different with your life

See thats where you miss the idea of sacrifice. You cant always look forward to going to work. I do not like working as an analyst. But i know if i sacrifice some of my dreams now and work har enough, one day i will be able to go after them. Example: it's just not realistic to go after my dream of owning a diner. If i go for it and fail, what do i have to fall back on? Nothing. But if i work my way up and then take a leap, i have a solid career to fall back on.