advertisement_alt
xMONSTERxDONGx

Words of warning - My story with Brendon “Brendooor/Brendon1717” Rubie:

Words of warning - My story with Brendon “Brendooor/Brendon1717” Rubie:

Around two years ago Brendon came to me for tournament backing after blowing 125k in a 25/50 HU PLO rage. I began staking him without much thought because he crushes online tourneys. Over the months to follow, he makes us both some money. He then tells me that he won $8000 on his brothers full tilt account. In this instance, I accepted responsibility for his ignorance, not understanding the rules of a staking deal; and did not require him to give me half of winnings as to which I am entitled. I explained to him this is not acceptable under our, or any, staking agreement as he is essentially just multi-accounting under his own money on the side; which he claimed to understand.

Later that year, Brendon won the Melbourne champs and chooses to cease our staking arrangement and go on his own money. After he wins Melbourne champs, Brendon went on a desperate attempt to get sponsored by playing every big buy in tournament both live and online. including the $100k at Aussie Millions. At the $100k in 2011 he was frantically trying to sell enough action for a buy in after the event had already started. An acquaintance of ours at the time stated through a text message he would buy 10% of each of us but couldn't give us the money immediately as he was busy. We both accept his stake however this left Brendon $10,000 short of a buy in for the tournament and did not have the money available to play. I lent him the $10,000 and said I would just get the money from the acquaintance. Neither of us cashed in the tournament and our staker (whom regularly plays $100k’s) turns out to be a huge gambling addict and is unable to give me the money. I see him in Perth a few months later and he gives me a $20,000 cheque... which bounced.

I try getting in contact with him for months more. Contacting his business, all his mates...no one has heard from him or seen him. This money has to be written off until I or someone runs into him one day. I stupidly decided not to tell Brendon about not getting the money back until a while down the track when he started picking up his bankroll again. I figured why bother him with it when he doesn't have the money to pay me back anyway? He's a sensitive guy behind all the smugness and didn't want to knock his confidence. The way I saw it, the only outcome of that would be that it'd put him in a worse state of mind and that’s not something that would interest me.

A few months later he is caught out for multi accounting under a friend’s username during WCOOP event and his username was exposed. This reminded me of an event where a guy played exactly like Brendon...3 and 4 betting me relentlessly. Surely enough, I look back on that particular tournament and that account was Brendon’s multi-account; not only does he not stop multi accounting, but he doesn't even have the decency to not take advantage of the in-depth knowledge he has on my game, where as I am taking him for an inexperienced recreational player. He 'sincerely' apologised to me saying that he just didn't want anyone at all knowing it was him because he was embarrassed. I said I'd forgive but not forget and we continued being friends.

Brendon goes broke again and comes to be for backing. Although he wronged me in the past, I know he will win me a lot of money. I made the business decision to begin staking him again.

During WSOP 2011 my Hotmail address was hacked. Someone from India stole a bunch of money on ‘stars, Neteller and Moneybookers. Due to keeping the integrity of the sites I won't disclose where I got money back and where I couldn't. Overall it was a cheap lesson to keep my money more secure. I subsequently told all my horses, including Brendon, that Hotmail is insecure and to change all poker accounts associated with it. My other horses did so, Brendon did not because 'he's always used Hotmail and has got too much stuff in there. In December 2011 Brendon wins the championship cup on bwin for $40k and comes very close to clearing his makeup after some time in the red. A few days later he gets hacked on there for $32,000. He says he got onto it straight away and he thinks we'll get the money back. He didn’t. I tell Brendon that this could have been prevented by not using Hotmail like I said.

He becomes irrational, saying, ‘how I could possibly blame him for this natural disaster-like incident’. He keeps emailing BWIN trying to recoup some of the money but still no love. By this time the 2012 Aussie Millions has begun and we are now in Melbourne. He plays the opening event under my stake and wins it for $200,000. We go for a coffee the next day to discuss the money and our future business dealings. He pays me my half of the $200,000 and says he wants to go on his own action. I ask if he was sure, as he still owed me $32k from BWIN and $10k which I advanced him on behalf of our acquaintance to play the $100k the previous year.

Without mention of the lost money on BWIN, he insinuated that my advancing him money on behalf of our acquaintance was an acceptance of responsibility by me to recoup the money on both of our behalves. Although his was certainly not the situation as I viewed it I conceded that it was unfair of me not to tell him this until now. In my defence, I kept this information from his as he was already in significant makeup and I thought that the notion of greater debt would not be good for his ego, which is actually quite delicate.

We argue further and he unequivocally states that he is not giving me the money under any circumstances. We move onto the BWIN ‘hacked’ fund for which there is no evidence of money dumping on Poker Table Ratings. I explain to him that because I told him the necessary precautions he should take when handling my money and because of this he owes me the full amount hacked. I explain that when he's handling my money it is his responsibility to look after it. Me telling him not to use Hotmail, is akin to me giving him $32,000 at the start of Aussie Millions and him not putting it in the safe in his room and having it stolen by the maids. Just to be clear, nothing like this has ever happened to me at crown even when I have left valuables out of the safe.

We cannot come to a financial resolution, however we come to the agreement that we will send a letter to 6 respected members of the poker community explaining the situation and seek their candour to find an amicable solution. Brendon says he will begin writing the letter that night, I check it and add some missing facts to give an accurate representation of what happened.

The following day I receive a phone call to meet him at a cafe at crown. I go down to meet him and he says “so I don't think it’s right that we get other people to dictate the money... I spoke to a good business friend of mine and...(rant rant rant, talking shit)”. I tell him to cut to the chase because I couldn't be bothered hearing about what his unidentified 'business friend' had to say. He pauses for a little while then says “I've decided I'm not going to give you any of the money, unless you choose to accept half of the BWIN money for $16k”. I call him a few obscenities and tell him to send me my online funds that he has immediately. He already had the amount converted to AUD in his pocket and gives it to me.

Like a child that has just finished watching an episode of The Sopranos, he tells me that I have 24hrs to accept his offer to which he will be putting in writing for me to formally accept. Despite any two-bit moron knowing that a contract signed under duress is null and void, I agree to his ultimatum, accepting that $16/42k is better than $0/42k.

I still feel I am entitled to other 26k, as does almost everyone I have spoken to about the situation. I called Brendon today at 1pm asking him if he still does not want to negotiate as I will be releasing a public statement on our dealings together. I said that I would happily take the rest of the BWIN funds to make everything go away even though I feel as if I’m being ripped off.

The last thing I want out of this is to have a public shit fight, however he has not left me with a choice and I feel I have to warn people about dealing with Brendon in the future.

Cliff notes:

Brendooor first caught multi-accounting small buyin FTP tourneys on his brothers account while backed by Jono for 'all tourneys' on his main account

Then WCOOP rolls around and he's caught multi-accounting there too, including playing especially aggro vs Jono deep in WCOOPs because they are friends and he knows how he plays

Jono keeps backing him anyway because he's a good player, Brendooor wins ChampionChip for 30k, then 12 days later without having requested a cashout at all he "gets hacked", and all the money in his account gets "chip dumped" to another player

Brendooor can supply no evidence of genuine hacking or chip dumping, support send an email saying they are closing Brendooors account and will never re-open it

Brendooor refuses to put the money lost on makeup, Jono and Brendooor fight about it, Brendooor wins a live tourney for $200k a week later and quits the stake while they settle

During the settlement Jono brings up an outstanding debt of $10k he lent Brendooor to play the $100k, Brendooor decides he doesn't have to pay that money back because the guy taking the 10% disappeared from the poker community and never paid him.

Brendooor has given Jono $16k for half the ChampionChip score and none of the $10k. Jono feels this is unacceptable so is posting to out Brendooor for his previous indiscretions.

Edited by xMONSTERxDONGx

Alot of this sounds shady, but I am not sure if you are entitled or not to all of the bwin money if he was indeed hacked and didn't get the money himself, but this would add to $32k and not $42k. The hotmail arguement is valid if you told him not to use hotmail email addresses anymore. I would ask via mikago or teamviewer to go into his BWIN account and prove to you that he didn't cash it out himself. If he indeed cashed it out, I don't think anyone would dispute you are entitled to another $16k for that. The $10K loan amount (assuming where it got to $42K), is up for dispute as you both accepted the risk there. Maybe it should be split $5k/$5k until it gets collected (if it gets collected). I think this acquaintance should also be outed if you are going to out Bendooor on this as well. Just my 2 cents without knowing more facts.

Just goes to show, you cant trust ANYONE when it comes to money... wouldnt mind hearing brenooors side though.

There are plenty of ethical people in the poker world who have proven time and time again they can be trusted. I think similar to the business world, you are going to have people that can and can't be trusted. In the business world, there are written contracts and as it seems more enforcability in the legal setting than the poker world, but if something is in writing in the poker world it is also legally enforceable. In both the poker world and business world, even if something is enforceable, if someone doesn't have the money you will have a hard time collecting it.

This kid sounds so shady, I dunno why you kept re-engaging in financial dealings w/ him. Having said that, I think you two should just compromise on him paying you half of the money since both scenarios are sort of awkward and difficult to place blame for. I agree, he should take some responsibility for not switching his hotmail acct, but to say he's liable for all 32k that was stolen from the hacker seems a bit rough (altho he certainly sounds shady enough to have chip dumped or been involved in the "hacking" which would obv make him liable for all of it) And with the 10k from the backer who bailed, he should DEFINITELY cover half of that, it's absurd he tried to pawn off all of the responsibility on that one to you, especially when if anything, you did him a favor since he wasn't going to be able to play if you didn't front him the 10k.

There are always interesting extenuating circumstances that come around from backing, and since no two scenarios are the same, I am always for compromises. I think it is seldom ever so cut and dry, that one person is 100% right/wrong.

Although in this case you did everything right besides backing the kid again. I would try and get 21k from him and never speak to him again.

Edited by the_dean22

I think you should have told him about the fish backer welching on that stake. I think if you had told him at the time, its fair to expect something from him or add it to MU but to bring it up a year later after the end of your arrangement is unfair on him because as far as he is concerned that stake was settled back then. For all he knows, you could be making the whole thing up trying to get an extra $10k out of him.

The bwin thing however is almost entirely his fault, regardless of whether he was legit hacked or not. I think you are entitled to all of the money that was "stolen". I would be contacting BWIN, Skrill and whoever else was involved by email and phone because the whole situation sounds highly suspicious, if you haven't done so already. There are IP address records that show who accessed his account where and when, I would be asking him to hand over as much documentation from BWIN as possible and if it can be proven that he was legitimately hacked, I might consider some sort of minimal compromise .

Brendon goes broke again and comes to be for backing. Although he wronged me in the past, I know he will win me a lot of money. I made the business decision to begin staking him again.

Dude, why? Getting caught MAing twice, and u still wanna back him? Awful decision.

Pretty fucked situation tho, but I guess u should've seen the later issues coming... Does NOT make it right in any case.

what I get from this post is the fact that you knew one of your horses was MA and you did NOT inform the comunity about him being a cheating diletant as soon as you found out about it..instead you choose to continue to back him as you felt it would still be a good business decission for you.

ONLY when he allegedly cheated you, as it would be expected following his history, you inform/warn the comunity about this person, and ONLY then you choose to inform the comunity that he is another notorious multiaccounting scam artist.

this only shows to me how pokersites (mainly stars and maybe party) should significantly increase their security measures trying to avoid scaming.

Edited by socrates555
what I get from this post is the fact that you knew one of your horses was MA and you did NOT inform the comunity about him being a cheating diletant as soon as you found out about it..instead you choose to continue to back him as you felt it would still be a good business decission for you.

ONLY when he allegedly cheated you, as it would be expected following his history, you inform/warn the comunity about this person, and ONLY then you choose to inform the comunity that he is another notorious multiaccounting scam artist.

this only shows to me how pokersites (mainly stars and maybe party) should significantly increase their security measures trying to avoid scaming.

I am not Supporting Ma'ing but he considered this guy a friend or so i read. If this is the case, I doubt many people would immediately out someone they consider a friend. You cant control someone elses actions only your own, and for me the only maybe questionable thing is backing him again, but again they are friends, nomatter how much he writes here we will never know the whole story/relationship they have so to suggest its a terrible decision may still be inaccurate. This should be only about whats owed not his judgement.

I am not Supporting Ma'ing but he considered this guy a friend or so i read. If this is the case, I doubt many people would immediately out someone they consider a friend. You cant control someone elses actions only your own, and for me the only maybe questionable thing is backing him again, but again they are friends, nomatter how much he writes here we will never know the whole story/relationship they have so to suggest its a terrible decision may still be inaccurate. This should be only about whats owed not his judgement.

sure one usually does not rat out a friend, so far understandable.

I dont know any of the involved and have no intention to attack them personally. I just want to coment on the possible impacts the reported actions have for the rest of the comunity. multiaccounting/ghosting and any other cheating is definitively bad for online poker, even worse when parties involved include highly profitable mtt regs, former redpross...stories like this leave the very essential, producers, recreational players with a bad taste in their mouth and it will consequently be tougher to get them to make another deposit to play on a sunday or drop a few hundreds in a ring game.

sure one usually does not rat out a friend, so far understandable.

I dont know any of the involved and have no intention to attack them personally. I just want to coment on the possible impacts the reported actions have for the rest of the comunity. multiaccounting/ghosting and any other cheating is definitively bad for online poker, even worse when parties involved include highly profitable mtt regs, former redpross...stories like this leave the very essential, producers, recreational players with a bad taste in their mouth and it will consequently be tougher to get them to make another deposit to play on a sunday or drop a few hundreds in a ring game.

I agree, like i said i dont support MA'ing, its a tough spot.

I'm no baller but anyone I know or think is MAing is getting referred to the site. No excuses.

HSMTTer, small stakes cash grinder, it does not matter. Its wrong and should be punished.

As for Brendon screwing the OP, I think the best you can hope for is you get the $10k write off the rest of your $42k and he never gets another backing deal and fails in his attempts to go out on his own.

Seems like the backing deal gave him a level of conscience about someone else's money (to a point) but once on his own he thought he was invincible.

I agree, like i said i dont support MA'ing, its a tough spot.

By not notifying the community and the pokersites you would be enabling MAing, which would be support of some kind.

I think the entire poker community needs to get tougher on MAing cunts.

I'm no baller but anyone I know or think is MAing is getting referred to the site. No excuses.

HSMTTer, small stakes cash grinder, it does not matter. Its wrong and should be punished.

As for Brendon screwing the OP, I think the best you can hope for is you get the $10k write off the rest of your $42k and he never gets another backing deal and fails in his attempts to go out on his own.

Seems like the backing deal gave him a level of conscience about someone else's money (to a point) but once on his own he thought he was invincible.

By not notifying the community and the pokersites you would be enabling MAing, which would be support of some kind.

Tough gig being your friend. If i stole a candy bar as a kid im assuming u would call the cops then to.

If he was legit hacked, or you don't have evidence that he was not legit hacked then getting 16k back on the 32k is a reasonable deal

as far as the 10k you loaned him and then got rolled on, I think you had a responsibility to tell him about that from the begining, if you had, i think he is clearly responsible for the whole 10K, I mean you had no equity in loaning him the money, i.e. you wouldn't have profited if he did well, so he should assume all of the responsibilty. The fact that you withheld this information makes the situation a little more unclear.

On an ethical note, I understand not outing him as an MA'er because he was your friend and all. And your getting involved in further dealings with him after the questionable staking relationship you two have apparently had in the past, is your own descision to assume that risk and has no bearing on what you should rightfully be owed. However, you did know that he was using multiple accounts and effectively cheating people, so posting this story as warning to players now, only after you get significantly effected financially, does come off as a bit disingenuous.

Tough gig being your friend. If i stole a candy bar as a kid im assuming u would call the cops then to.

Thats is a lightly different scenario, whilst theft is against the law and MAing is not I think the candy bar maybe a forgivable offense if you were very young(ie: didn't actually have the understanding of its affect) and an adult albeit young breaking the T&Cs of one or more service providers where I(your friend) also make a living and you have directly used knowledge of my game to beat me whilst not allowing me the same opportunity.

Cliffs: If you stole my chocolate bar I'd kick the fuck out of you. The same goes for money.

AND WHY THE FUCK DOES EVERYONE UNDERSTAND HIM LETTING HIM OFF THE HOOK FOR MA'ING????????????????????????????????

By doing that you're all just lifting your skirts and waiting for the impending rape.

If there was a zero tolerance amongst poker player on this it would serve as a better warning that there would be a punishment. Not just a slap on the wrist ban for a while, whilst they still play on all the other sites they didn't get caught on.

Edited by C_Bomb
So you maintained a business partnership with a guy you knew was a dirt bag and you got screwed. And why exactly would you think anyone here would care?

Obv the OP isn't looking for sympathy here, he's sending a message to the whole poker community not to get involved with him in any staking/backing deals.

LOL @ him getting hacked... No way true, OP told him to change and then it gave Brendoor an excuse to scam OP!

.... IMO :)

Thats is a lightly different scenario, whilst theft is against the law and MAing is not I think the candy bar maybe a forgivable offense if you were very young(ie: didn't actually have the understanding of its affect) and an adult albeit young breaking the T&Cs of one or more service providers where I(your friend) also make a living and you have directly used knowledge of my game to beat me whilst not allowing me the same opportunity.

Cliffs: If you stole my chocolate bar I'd kick the fuck out of you. The same goes for money.

AND WHY THE FUCK DOES EVERYONE UNDERSTAND HIM LETTING HIM OFF THE HOOK FOR MA'ING????????????????????????????????

By doing that you're all just lifting your skirts and waiting for the impending rape.

If there was a zero tolerance amongst poker player on this it would serve as a better warning that there would be a punishment. Not just a slap on the wrist ban for a while, whilst they still play on all the other sites they didn't get caught on.

Again i say. Tough gig being your friend. I did not think i would need to break it down so much as to what i feel a normal friend would do as I thought it would be Common sense(clearly not). If this were me I would obviously crack the shits at him followed by threatening to expose him if he didnt stop and if i ever caught him again i would(then it would be on his head). Everyone deserves a second chance especially between friends. But what do i know? except I wont throw any friend under the bus.

Regardless i dont want to hijack the thread for this, So im done and will let it continue its course.

I would never rat out my friends.

Also if you are throwing this kid under the bus why not the guy who freerolled you both with the 10k he was gonna back and never did. He freerolled worse than anyone.

Edited by Sir
Obv the OP isn't looking for sympathy here, he's sending a message to the whole poker community not to get involved with him in any staking/backing deals.

LOL @ him getting hacked... No way true, OP told him to change and then it gave Brendoor an excuse to scam OP!

.... IMO :)

Soo fkn obvious

God damn the poker community is shady as hell lol , guess it shouldn't be that surprising with all the money that so easily changes hands . Greed the root of so much evil .........................sigh

Also how do all these scamming MAing bitches run so pure and win everything where the fck is KARMA !

Edited by permatilt420

too bloody right, everything is fine when he's winning 200k in tourneys but it soon turns to custard as he has no financial nouse at all and prolly spends it all on hookers and white powder

absolute shambolic and i also wonder why these goons need to MA just to get an edge when they seem to be able to win at will, makes me puke

Edited by norv
useless speller
interested to see whether brendon will issue a statement in the near future

Yeah given that he represents certain companies, I find it strange that he is yet to make some kind of statement. I know for a fact if it was me and I was legitimately hacked that I would not be happy about some of the things flying around.... IMO his silence is a huge indication of where he stands in all of this.

Yeah given that he represents certain companies, I find it strange that he is yet to make some kind of statement. I know for a fact if it was me and I was legitimately hacked that I would not be happy about some of the things flying around.... IMO his silence is a huge indication of where he stands in all of this.

He obv didnt get hacked. He's a fucking scammer.