advertisement_alt
jesterwords

How many OTer's owe (or at one point) over 50K in student loans?

Its not the greatest school in the world.

I was lucky that my adviser was also the chair of the Masters of Business program at WCU, as well as, one of my favorite professors. I mean, honestly, my school never defined me so it was not a big deal to me where I went. Plus, I realized how much I like to live in PA after living in North Carolina for a year going to school down there. I am a northern person. South is fun to visit, and I might live in Texas because Texas is awesome (I was born there), but outside of that, I'm all for living up north.

Ohio State, Virgina Tech, UNC

obv not saying anyone itt is doing this but one of my friends from high school got into William & Mary, University of Fla, Seattle University, etc. She obviously couldn't afford to pay the costs by herself and her parents refused to pay for it either; instead they chose to remodel their home and the dad bought himself a new car for nearly the equivalent cost. They told her to take student loans or she could go to the local community college. That kind of stuff is just fucking mindblowing. THAT is what I have a problem with; not poor parents telling their kid they can't afford to send them to X school

That's one of the most fucked up things I've ever heard.

I posted yesterday that within the next few years I will have 70k-80k debt. I paid off the 45k in debt that I accumulated while I was fucking around at school when I was younger. The difference this time is I will be getting my BA and my MBA and I've been networking pretty well and I have a really good chance of many doors opening up for me when I graduate. I PROBABLY don't need to get the MBA but this is really my only opportunity to do it full time and when it comes time to interview with the jobs I've been networking for, if it's down to me and one other person, if I have an MBA and they don't I'm far more likely to get the job. Having loans suck, but I will be working miserable jobs that I'm ashamed to have and physically kill my body for the rest of my life unless I continue to do what I'm doing. It's definitely a risk worth taking IMO.

If I remember correctly, you're trying to get into the sports industry in some way correct? Have you decided in what capacity? While the bolded statement is true, you better start getting some relevant experience in the mean time. Heck, you're going to need some solid experience just to get into business school.

People always talk about how great of a time they had at college and how they learned so much socially (and I agree that I grew a lot from ages 18-22 while in college), but how much of that is related to going to college and how much is just related to being on their own? Like if you just moved to a city and got a job, or went traveling to a different country for a year (both of which would be much cheaper than college) would you get the same "irreplaceable" social development?

I think the job comparison would work if you were working at a job where you were around an age cohort that was largely the same as you were, like a restaurant/bar (which are generally pretty social). I know a decent amount of OT'ers have traveled around (I spent a summer abroad before heading off to college and it was awesome) but again, I don't know if your average, run-of-the mill kid could handle the responsibility. College provides an arena where you can make mistakes, learn from them, and move on with your life (in a general sense of course.) I also believe that you get out of your college experience what you put into it.

I think setting your kids up with savings, investments a solid work base, etc. is great, but paying for your child's education out right? I've seen too many people I went to school with dick around and waste years of school because it was on mommy and daddy's dime. I payed for my school and you better believe I attended every class. It is good life experience to have to work for it, are you going to give your kids the down payment for their first house too? My daughter (4 months old) has a savings and an education savings plan/account, but beyond that she will work for what she gets, and appreciate it in the long run, just like I did.

The thought of going to graduate school crossed my mind the other day. I just did a quick search of SoCal schools. Just getting a masters costs a shitload.

My only thought would be that since i currently live in CA, i would get in-state tuition rates, and since i dont live at home, i might be able to get decent financial aid.

Honestly havent thought about it much. But its an idea ive thought about. Considering how much debt im in already, im not sure if its worth it.

As long as your in CA for longer than a year prior to applying for school, you're good to go.

woot woot...4 years of undergrad and 1 year of master's and came out without a dime of debt.

just too bad i was bored as shit with school and didn't finish my 2nd year of master's.

i'm like most of the others here...i will try to help my kid as best i can, but i doubt i'm going to be well off to just snap write a check. here's to hoping my kid gets my height and is athletic!

my dad paid for both of my sister's undergrads, and would have paid for mine if i didn't have a ride...so i'll TRY to do the same for my offspring.

I'm paying out of pocket now for school and don't mind it at all compared to what I've given Uncle Sam over the years. I think it helps if you go to a University you like/proud of. Been a die hard fan of mine, my Dad got his masters here, brother got his masters here, so I don't mind getting screwed $ wise since it's going to a better cause than my tax $ prolly went to.

Also, bigger more expensive schools have so many clubs, organizations, and networking oppurtunities that if you get inolved with, you realize your tuition is a steal! Lot of schools also have amazing study abroad oppurtunities. The most you pay is IN STATE tuition if you went somewhere like Prague or London. Go somewhere like Costa Rica, and it can be as low as 200$ a semester + all your living expenses obv. Sick as it sounds, I'll prolly just stay in school until I run out of poker savings and then do whatever career I have the most credits toward lol

I think setting your kids up with savings, investments a solid work base, etc. is great, but paying for your child's education out right? I've seen too many people I went to school with dick around and waste years of school because it was on mommy and daddy's dime. I payed for my school and you better believe I attended every class. It is good life experience to have to work for it, are you going to give your kids the down payment for their first house too? My daughter (4 months old) has a savings and an education savings plan/account, but beyond that she will work for what she gets, and appreciate it in the long run, just like I did.

bingo. I'm going to tell my kids someday(if college system is still like this) to either move abroad and travel or get an apartment near a big school with some friends and work for 1-3 years. When you're writing checks for your education take it way more seriously and get more involved so as to get your moniez worth

Edited by Duffy08
If I remember correctly, you're trying to get into the sports industry in some way correct? Have you decided in what capacity? While the bolded statement is true, you better start getting some relevant experience in the mean time. Heck, you're going to need some solid experience just to get into business school.

I want to get into the marketing department. My GPA is a 3.7 so far and I expect to improve that this semester, I should be able to get into grad school. I don't want to name names, but I got my foot in the door with a recommendation of a pretty famous reporter. I'm going down to Spring Training because he's going to introduce me to the head of the marketing department for the Mets and Sandy Alderson. My dad also sold a car to Alderson's personal assistant and she gave him (my dad) her phone number for when I'm ready to apply for jobs or looking for an internship. So far she gave me a free parking pass for all of 2012 and a badge that allows me to go to any non sold out game(my dad gets her free maintenance to give her a reason to want to help me/keep in touch with him for the connection.) Unfortunately I won't be utilizing that b/c I refuse to go to any games. I honestly want to work for MLB in the marketing department and I know a bunch of people who work there but the only job I could get through them would be as an editor or something like that, that's more a last resort option.

UNC out of high school

I applied to 5 schools and was accepted at all 5 schools. Chose to go to UNC, but came home to be a daddy to my adopted daughter at 19, so I only lasted 2 semesters down there. I would be impossible to picture my life had I stayed there, so I don't bother with the who's and what's of where my life would be had I not come home to be daddy.

I should have gone to Virginia Tech with my brother.

shoulda

coulda

didn't

Edited by jesterwords

i feel ya, both my sisters graduated from UNC, great school, I graduated from ECU, went there to play basketball and left a pro poker player lol, still to this day have no clue how I got out of their with a degree....unfortunatley I didn't start doing well in poker till my senior year of college and so I had to pay for 4 years of school with loans....being that I came from a poor family I had no clue what to do with a lot of the intial money I won, wish more than anything I could go back in time and pay off those school loans instead of blowing it on traveling the circuit and lighting $$ on fire in a multitude of ways